Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly for the week
[center][font "Arial Narrow"][#008000][size 4][cool]Starting this new thread called" Fly for the week or weak what ever comes first. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Arial Narrow"][#008000][size 4]MISFIT[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Times New Roman"][#008000]Fly Type: Nymph[/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000]Target Species: Trout [/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000]Region Fished: NE [/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000]Imitation: Caddis Fly[/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000]Materials Used
Size 10 hook
Copper bead
Black thread
Dark olive marabou
Olive Antron
Brown Saddle hackle
[/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000]Tying Instructions
After putting on a bead and tying in your tail, wrap the Antron to form your body. Build it up as you go so it's fat behind the bead. Give it 3 to 4 wraps behind the bead with the Saddle hackle. I use extra wraps to finish it off since the black segment seems to make a better producing fly.
[/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000]Presentation Tips
In Arkansas; it worked great with a sink tip in deep water. If nothing hits on the drift through, use short, quick strips to retrieve and something usually would hit it.

In Michigan, it works great in riffles. If nothing has taken it by the end of the drift, once again, strip it.
[/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000][/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000]
[center][font "Times New Roman"][#008000][i][inline Misfit.jpg]
[/#008000][/font]
[/i][/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000][size 3][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#008000][/#008000][/font][font "Times New Roman"][#008000][/#008000][/font][font "Times New Roman"][#008000][/#008000][/font]

[signature]
cool looking fly.. and I like your idea of the fly of the week.. but.. and I am not sure this site has the bandwidth or server space.. may I suggest when you do the step by step directions that pictures be included.. for me it makes it easier to follow..

MacFly
[signature]
Tutorial! Now that would be cool. Can we get a Fly Tying section on this forum?
This could include a Salt and Freshwater fly of the week.
[signature]
sis ya know what I am talking about.. from what site anyway..lol.. but.. if this is possible.. Id love to see it for both fresh and salt as well..

MacFly
[signature]
[center][font "Arial Narrow"][#008000][size 4][cool]Do you mean in addition to the two boards already set up for Tying & using Fresh & Salt Water?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
on those board we talk about them.. with your idea of a fly of the week.. you are showing how to tie them.. just my .02

MacFly
[signature]
[center][cool][#005000]Here is another version:[/#005000]

[#005000]Start off the misfit by crimping the barb of the hook. Next, slide a brass bead over top of the hook, and push it out to the eye. I have used a black bead for this tutorial, but copper, or gold would work as well. [/#005000]
[Image: mf_step2.jpg]
[center][#005000]Take a small bunch of marabou, and tie it onto the hook shank near the bend of the hook. It should be about 2/3 the length of the hook shank. If it's a bit long, you can leave it, and tear it as you need to once you are on the water. [/#005000]

[center]
[Image: mf_step3.jpg]
[center][#005000]Tie in your wire to the rear of the hook. Next you are going to dub the body. You will want to create a slight taper towards the bead. Apply a very small amount of dubbing wax to the thread if you want before you start to add dubbing. Wrap your dubbing forward to create your body. Pay attention to the taper, and do not overload the dubbing on your thread.[/#005000]
[Image: mf_step4.jpg]
[center][#005000]Wrap the wire forward to form the segments of the body. Tie off the wire behind the bead, and trim off the excess. Prepare a brown hackle and tie it in by the tip, just behind the bead. [/#005000]
[Image: mf_step5.jpg]
[center][#005000]Start wrapping the collar of the fly. Stroke the hen fibers towards the tail of the fly as you wrap. This takes a bit of practice, but is worth the hassle. Tie off the hackle after 3 or so wraps. Trim off the excess stem, and whip finish the fly. Trim your thread, and apply a small amount of head cement.
[/#005000]

[signature]
I am a visual person.. I learn best that way.. and the excellent presentation you just did here will make it easier for me to attempt to tie this fly in the future.. notice I said attempt.. lol. .cause ya'll know that no matter what I will be asking questions..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Arial Narrow"][#005028][size 4][cool]Anyone have a fly that they would like to contribute to the "Fly for the week"?[/size][/#005028][/font]
[signature]
[left]Here is the fly that I tied for the last fly swap.. it is the beadhead flashback pheasant tail nymph......
[center]
[center]
[center][inline "bhfbptn resized.jpg"]
[center]
[left]Here is a site that gives detailed instructions on how to tie this fly.....
[left]
[left][url "http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=60"]Charlies Fly Box[/url] (beadhead flashback pheasant tail nymph)
[left]
[left]MacFly [cool]
[center]
[left]
[signature]
There are three conclusions I have come to about the Charlie's Tutorials.

1. They are the best on the web and very thorough.
2. There are a lot of excellent tying tips purposely displayed in his tutorials.
3. The flies that he demonstrates are excellent productive patterns. - personal experience on this one.

There is a 4th. But it has nothing to do directly with the tutorials. You have to take a napkin with you when you visit his shop because you will be drooling the whole two hours you are wandering through his shop.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#400080][size 4]I wholeheartedly agree with all that you said.. but have one question.. [/size][/#400080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#400080][size 4][/size][/#400080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#400080][size 4]... are you sure you bring only one napkin and are you sure you spend only two hours.. hehehe [laugh][/size][/#400080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#400080][size 4]MacFly [cool][/size][/#400080][/font]
[signature]
I was just on Charlies site trying to fix the link in my other post and saw he has a cool fly of the week..it is called

[center][url "http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/details.cfm?parentID=161"]The Shaggy Leech[/url]
[center]
[center][inline "shaggy leech resized.jpg"]
[signature]
[quote macfly55][font "Comic Sans MS"][#400080][size 4]... are you sure you bring only one napkin and are you sure you spend only two hours.. hehehe [laugh][/size][/#400080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#400080][size 4]MacFly [cool][/size][/#400080][/font][/quote]

-------------
At the time it was 15 minutes away so I could get a hit fairly often.
[signature]
LOL.... that makes sense then..

MacFly [cool]

[signature]
Here is a link to a common fly with a story and instuctions by the originator of the fly John Barr... its called "Tying the Original Copper John"

[center][inline cj_250.jpg]
[center]
[left]and here is the link to the article and tying instructions..
[left]
[left][url "http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/flies/barr_copperjohn.aspx"]"The Original Copper John"[/url]
[left]
[left]
[left]MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Mac, that is great you posted that. This weekend I was fishing Chironomids and two colors were KILLer all weekend. Well, actually 3, Mojo was using a chrome with red flashabou Ice Cream and killing them for a couple of hours, but the two that kept me in business was a Black and Blue with a black tungsten bead (the Bruise) and the other that caught more fish than any, a Brown and Yellow wire with a Gold bead,
Anyway, I lost my last one to a jumping monster so I dug through my boxes trying to find something close, and it was the original Copper John except it had white rubber legs. I think it would have worked with or without the legs cause it ended up legless and was still getting hammered.
Got to love the basics:
Haresear
Prince with and with out bead
Pheasant Tail with and with out bead and with and with out flashback
Copper Johns in Copper, Red, Green, Blue, and Chartreuse.

In the right size, they will always produce.
[signature]
thank you.. I got my weekely email from another site and that was the featured fly.. I found it cool that they had the man who came up with that fly telling the story of how he came up with it... and the article was on his original fly..

.. sounds like you had a good time with a variety of flies including an ol reliable back up.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]here is a fly that looks easy to tie .. it is a streamer (used to immitate a minnow ).. and it is called the black nosed dace.. [/#800000][/font]

[center][inline "black nosed dace.jpg"]

[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#0000bf][url "http://www.hatches.tv/play.php?vid=278&utm_source=HatchesJune&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=HatchesJune&utm_content=Hollywood"]The Black Nosed Dace[/url][/#0000bf][/font]
[center]

[left][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]MacFly [cool][/#800000][/font]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]
[signature]
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hey there MacFly did you want us to watch that fly being constructed or the Girls Gone Fishing video? [Wink] Some guys just can't get the Navy out of their system. LOL[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]