waxing my boat
[font "Arial"][size 2]I just bought a old starcraft that needed a good home

(paid 100 bucks for it and she runs great) can somebody

tell me what works on taking off the oxidation? what kind of wax should

I use and should I buff it?? thanks

mike [/size][/font]

michigan
[signature]
If its a glass boat, they have a gel coat on them that may need to be reworked by a professional.

If its an aluminium boat, you may need to look into what type of pain the factory used. If its a regular baked on automotive grade paint, you can buff and wax it without any problems. But i am an farmiliar with that boat and its specific details so I would contact them on thier web site and ask them about what they were using and the best way to care for it.

Once you get it looking nice again, wax it yearly and use a good spray on cleaner regularly.
[signature]
HI, LONEHUNTER FROM THE MICHIGAN PAGE . IF IT'S OXIDISED ALUM. IM GUESSING MOST OF THE FACTORY FINISH IS GONE .

I'DE TRY USING A SPRAY ON STAINLESS STEEL CLEANER TO REMOVE THE SCALE , THEN USE " MOTHER'S ALUMINUME POLISH " TO GET HER SHINE BACK . YOU CAN GET THE MOTHERS POLISH AT THE BIG TRUCK STOPS .

I'VE USED THIS METHOD ON MOTORCYCLE ENGINE PARTS AND IT WORKED VERY WELL FOR CLEANING . AS FAR AS PROTECTING THE SURFACE FOR WATER USE I HAVE NO SUGESTIONS .

GREAT TO HAVE YOU ABOARD , WHERE'S YOUR FAVORITE FISHING WATER ?
[signature]
if this is an aluminum boat there is realy only one product for removing oxidation and that is Xylol carried at most hardwear and paint stores.

this is stricly for aluminum. after cleaning it and following the directions you will be able to repaint it. or buff it and wax it.

be sure to follow the instructions and do not do this in side your garage, this is an out side job with this stuff. this stuff works great on aluminum and stainless steel.

use gloves and eye protection too.
[signature]
if this boat is already painted using simonizing compound will bring back the luster in your paint before waxing.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 2]I should of said it was fiberglass, it has a sport 65 and will run about 43 miles a hour, it's old but runs like a champ, the top color is brown, a milky brown at this time, tried some stuff from meijers but it didn't take the milky color out of the brown worked great on white but not the brown.

Here in Branch county I have several lakes that I like to go to, Coldwater Lake is great as long if you don't mind the jet ski's and jet boats, I usually fish early in the morning or late at night on that lake, There is 7 lakes on that chain so there is lots of places to go on that. then there is Cemetery Lake, that is also a chain of 5 lakes, that is where I go when I don't want to fight the big boats on coldwater lake, if offers pike,blue gill,big crappie (largest one I caught was 1 lb 3 oz.) bass and catfish, we are looking for a house on that chain of lakes but so far no luck..thanks for your reply and I will next time use the proper message board Michigan..thanks again.

mike

Branch county Michigan[/size][/font]
[signature]
hi mike , you did post on the proper board , this is the boat forum . sounds like you got a great deal with the boat . did you have to do any major repairs with her ?

i'm from gladwin county , originally from the detroit/downriver area . my first boat was a 17' sea-king with a 40 h.p. merc . on a good day with a strong tailwind she could get 27 m.p.h. ( i used a g.p.s. for speed ) .

to get her color back up you might have to wheel her out with a polish . use care when doing it , you don't want to burn her finish .
[signature]
All I had to do was clean it up and put in a new battery, the seats are in real good shape, some rust on the hinges but you cant see that, no carpet thats no big deal runs great started right up (helps if one remebers to put the plug in) that was the only problem i had 2 weeks ago,was me forgetting to putting the plug in. it's old but a keeper no leaks bottom is chewed up alittle but it dont leak, looks good and the trailor pulls real nice. lot better then my flat bottom i had, easier to fish out of

mike

branch county.
[signature]
well for a hundred bucks you got quite a deal ! i paid 4 for mine and had to rip out the floor and refiberglass it . rebuild the uper and lower unit , put in seats and some extras . i had her finished for walleye season , guess which plug i left at home after i launched her . it took about a week for her to dry out .
[signature]
sounds like something i would do. i did figure it out when my feet were getting wet. was funny thats for sure, this time i have a long chain attached to the boat and it's long enough so i have to remeber to plug the thing in

hopefully if the weather holds out will buff it out tomorrow (that and i get my honey do list done) and hope for the best..bought carpet for it today that was more then what i paid for the boat....

gonna be sweet altho...

mike

branch county michigan
[signature]