Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you think they should increase the size limit on trout?
Do you think they should increase the size limit on trout? So that the trout populated lakes will have bigger and more trout in them? I think they should I have seen people keeping 6 inch trout before. What are your thoughts?
[signature]
It has helped in a lot of places to increase the average size of the fish. But, I think it has to be taken on a lake to lake basis. Some lakes are better suited as "put and take" fisheries. At places like that the goal isn't big fish, its fish for the stringer. This promotes fishing to youth, and provides family recreation (the fish are easy to catch!). I don't have a problem with having plenty of those kinds of options for beginners, while at the same time having some trophy waters for the rest of us.
[signature]
Writing from Ireland, Europe.

On many lakes where I fish there are lower size limits and all small immature fish must be returned. This protects the yearclass which will reach takable size in the season to come.
Recently we have a more enlightened policy emerging of also having upper size limits. In this way the takable trout might be from 1 1/2 lbs up to 4 lbs. And trophy fish must also be returned, on these waters.

The reason for this is so as the genetic code of the faster growing trout is not eliminated by angler cull, and these desirable fish get several chances to spawn, making more of their fast growing disease resistant kind.

Before this the anglers killed the fast growing big ones, leaving the weakling runts to spawn and generate the new fish. Over years dwarf trout were being selectively bred.

The quality of fishing in these waters where trophy fish go back is far better than the waters which have only a smaller size limit. The difference is such that the new practise is being adopted in more waters each year.

One other difference ... the need for absolute secrecy about catches is reduced when the "lucky newbies" and "freezer-fillers" are restrained from ruining a water so that it needs a time to regenerate. The water is productive enough to give up many "middle fish" and still maintain quality fishing.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][cool][#008000][size 4]Hi there IFT - what you say makes sense. In fact what makes better sense is C&R and barbless hooks. If I can, I will try to release the fish without having to handle it. I know what they look like and I could care less about measuring my catch. To me it is all about the sport of fly fishing. It is a bigger thrill to hook a prey on a fly that I tied.[/size][/#008000][Wink][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I actually think it would be a great idea, I only do c&r btw. But if it helps to get larger fish more often i'm in for it.
[signature]
Jason - I'm all for it, bud! I've seen my fair share of small trout laying near the banks and stuffed in people's coolers - it makes me sick. so, along with teaching people to properly C&R we should increase the size limit for trout. OR, at the very least, increase the number of "gold medal" type waters in any given state. (artificial flies and lures only) Even that would help, because it would cut back the amount of stocking the state has to do on many more lakes and, at the same time, we'd have more quality fisheries.

it's not like it takes any skill to catch a 6-8 inch trout, ya know? so let them grow by increasing restrictions! people would be more conscious of C&R procedure by doing so also, because they'd be worried about getting that game warden crossing their path and looking at the dead 6" trout laying near the bank.

someone might say "well, if you increase the size restrictions on these trout the kids won't get to have their fun!" wrong! there are plenty of bluegill and other panfish fisheries in most states and they're easy as sin to catch - providing children with plenty of fun to be had...and I'm all for taking kids fishing. not only that, but I've seen plenty of 10 to 15 inch trout take worms or minnows fished on a bobber...so kids aren't in any real danger of losing the fun factor.

anyway, I see only positives from increasing the size restriction and am glad you posted about it. [Smile]
[signature]