Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What brand of bait do you use?
vote your favorite
[signature]
Well, I'm not too big on bait anymore, but I do use scent a lot. My brand of choice is not contest... Pro Cure. I love their super gels and I've increased my catch rate for kokanee salmon, and trout by using their products. As for bait... I used power bait a bit when I was a kid (although I mostly fly fished then).
[signature]
I voted Powerbait because that is the only "dough bait" I have used. I have only used it a few times and never had a lot of confidence in it. When I use bait it is almost always worms...nothing beats a big fat crawler!!
[signature]
My favorite bait is worms.
[signature]
[center][#005028][shocked]Where did you hide the flies? [Wink][/#005028]
[signature]
Powerbait is alright, but if you're fishing a water body that you know big fish are in, buy a package of redside shiners (minnows) or chub minnows and hook them in the face. Throw out gently and wait.

Big fish eat little fish.

Once a big fish eats your little fish (be patient), let the line out of your reel for a little while and then close your bale. Once your line tightens up a bit, jerk back and set the hook.

Hold on and enjoy the fight. Set your drag.

You could spend the same amount of time waiting for a powerbait strike and any size fish (especially the planters) could strike that...usually smaller in comparison.

There's nothing wrong with hanging a worm under a bubble either. Depending on the lake, I'll tip my crawler with a chartreuse sparkle power egg. That seems to work well enough. I always try the worm natural first though, unless I know the egg works better for that water.

If the worm under the bubble doesn't work, fill up the bubble with water and cast out again. That way your bubble will slowly make its way down the water column and your worm will potentially drift past more fish.

If you can get a 2nd pole permit (We have them here in Utah), do it. Totally worth the extra $15 and you can soak that minnow or whatever while casting spinners, spoons, rapalas, or other lures (or flies).

Good luck.
[signature]
I agree with Loah about using minnow presentations, but I'll add one thing in case you're anything like me.

I don't like the upkeep involved with live minnows, so I use berkley gulp alive minnows. the price might scare some people, but when you see how long they last they've actually saved me money and headaches over purchasing live minnows. the action is great and allows you to actually make a presentation instead of relying on a minnow that will die soon enough and even sit there half the time doing nothing. they're just not lively enough for me even when using a nose-hooked method. there's more satisfaction for me by presenting a bait instead of letting it do the work, or lack thereof.

powerbait does work well - that's why it is what it is and will never go away. I recently tried some of the Yum powerbait (called Troutkilla or something) and liked it even more than powerbait. the difference is most likely subtle, but the scent is a little more realistic to me and it even comes with some small weights and hooks in the top of the jar for those times where you just want to try many areas quickly and don't want to carry a tackle box or even a small plano type box.
[signature]
like I just stated on another thread, I have caught hundreds of trout and steelhead on power bait.
[signature]