Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat motor question
[font "Times New Roman"]I got out to Saturday to test out the boat, and both my motors overheated. I have a 1994 black max 175 Merc, and a 2005 Nissan 9.8. Both of these motors were not spitting water out. Does anyone know what this could be? I figure it could be the water pumps but it seems ironic that both of them go out at the same time. Is there anyway I can check the pumps. Any info would help. I have no problem taking the boat in but it will be pushing it to get it in and back before Memorial Day. Thanks[/font]
[signature]
Sometimes the telltale ( pee hole ) will get clogged with hard water over the winter. Take a little piece of flexible wire and insert it in the hole and make sure it is not clogged. I have had no water come out and then pulled the lower unit to rebuild the pump and the pump is fine. Cleaned the telltale and all was good. Give it a try if that doesn't work rebuild your pump.
[signature]
Thanks I will give that a try and keep my fingers crossed.
[signature]
Your motors should not overheat just because the little pee hole is not spitting out water. If the hole is plugged, the water pump can still work. It is only a visual indicator that the pump is working. My guess is that the water pump intake or outlet might be plugged. Wasps and other insects like to nest in little holes and could have clogged up the system. Mr. J.
[signature]
go_deep, how long has it been since you last changed your water impellers? They should absolutely be replaced every year. They can get hard or crack, and will disenable your water pump system from circulating water.

Also, why did you allow your motors to operate without seeing any water coming out. If your motors are really overheated, this was completely preventable. For future cases/instances make sure you shuttoff your engine immidiately if you do not see water coming out.

If the water pump is fine, and the inlets/outlets and lines are not plugged up, and if the impeller is fine, water should start coming up as soon as the motor is started. Always keep that in mind. Not only can lack of water overheat the motor, but it can grind up intake/outake system and impellar real bad. It will make for a very expensive repair.

Good luck to you.
[signature]
Impellers were my first guess as well. I think you probably got a little water trapped in there when you winterized and they both cracked, that is why you lost both of them at the same time. Hopefully that is the extent of your damage, impellars are a cheap fix, but running the engine without water circulating can lead to big, big repair bills.
[signature]