Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mono Vs. Braid - Question
I've got a question about mono and braid, relating to the rod: Are the rod ratings based on mono or braid or both?

If I have a rod that's rated for 6 to 12 pound test, I assume that is in terms of mono. Would I then be able to use heavier braid? Assuming the braid is smaller diameter and lighter than monofilament of the same lb test rating, I would guess the answer to be yes, but I am not sure.

I've got some 20 lb PowerPro (on the box it says 6 lb mono diameter) that I want to try on a rod rated for 6 to 12 pound line. Will it work effectively?
[signature]
12 pound mono and 12 pound braid, in THEORY, are suppose to be the same in relation to breaking strength. Pound class of the line refers to the average relative breaking strength of the line, doesn't matter if it's braid, mono, steel leader, or fluorocarbon. How far you push the limitations of your rod is your call. I'd strongly suggest you follow the rod specs if you're not a seasoned angler, particularly with braid line. Not so much because it may be stronger, but because it has zero stretch, your rod may be what gives before the line.
[signature]
[#005028][cool]Hi there Martini78 [vodka or gin?] [Wink] Good advise to go with the manufacturers recommendations. You can always e-mail the company's tech department with your question. BTW you wouldn't have that concern if you were lining a fly rod.[/#005028]
[signature]
Yes, this will work for 6-12 lbs. reels. PowerPro stands behind their claims and product. It is the best line I have used, I tell you what.

I will swear by PowerPro braided, and will do so in my sleep. It is a fine product.
[signature]
I've got the 20 lb Power Pro on there and so far so good. I also bought a medium heavy action rod and spooled up some 50 lb Power Pro for that rig... no complaints on either set-up.
[signature]
That is great. The PowerPro will give you at least 5-7 years of trouble-free excellent performance. Just make sure you change worn out sections and retie if needed.[Wink]

You will see that PowerPro will save you money and give you control when fighting fish.

I am planning to tour the SuperBraid Factory in Grand Junction Colorado that produces the braided line that PowerPro than coats and sells. I would also like to see the graphit factory there that produces the fine graphite threads to make high-quality rods. Should be a thrill when I get around to it.[Smile]
[signature]
I don't have much experience under my belt just yet, but it seems like the rigs I have spooled with Power Pro are less prone to wind knots than the Fireline I tried. I'm looking to hook into a big muskie with that 50 lb Power Pro and seeing if it'll hold up.

As for getting 5 to 7 years out of line, I'm sure it will hold up, but I'm fishing every day and still throwing the occasional lure into a tree, so I'll probably run out of line before the end of the year.[laugh]
[signature]
That is great, you are one lucky man fishing so often.

Even 20-30 lbs. PowerPro will handle a huge tiger/pike. If you are carefull you will have no problem. 50 lbs will haul out a pig, I tell you what. Nothing beats PowerPro.
[signature]
I noticed someone mentioned "years of use" out of braid line. I'm not so sure about that aspect of it's durability. I fish almost exclusively in saltwater for big game, and I promise, if the line isn't changed out at lease once a year, you're asking to loose fish. It's pricey, but nessesary. Now, if you're using line that is way over rated for the species you're targeting in fresh water, you might get away with a couple years of service, maybe even three. But if you're light tackle fishing for a larger, more powerful species, you might want to think about changing out the line. I usually fill the spool 3/4 full with mono and top shot the last 100 yards with braid, attaching the two lines with an Albright Special. Very easy knot to tie, and very strong. You may want to put some thought into what exactly you're goals are, and go from there.
[signature]
I'm fishing bigger line than I need to be, 50 pound line for Muskies and 20 pound line for everything else besides trout.

I found that the larger braided line is just more manageable than the 8 or 10 pound stuff. I was making wind knots like a champ with 8 pound braid, but since the 50 pound worked flawlessly in my Musky rig, I tried 20 in my bass reels and had much better results.
[signature]