Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need fly fishing 101 lessons!
Hey gang,

I am new to SLC, just moved here from SC, and new to fly fishing all together. I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere I can go to learn the basics to fly fishing. My only experience with fly fishing is picking up a fly rod in sporting good stores. I have plenty of experience with "regular" fishing with a crack reel, but there aren't many fly fishing opportunities in SC, unfortunately. [:/]

Also, I would really enjoy meeting up with some other fly fishermen and go to good fishing spots. I will drive (Nissan Xterra) if someone is willing to help me get started. I moved out here by myself and don't know anyone else, so I don't want to go fishing in some remote place without knowing the area or having someone else out there with me. Safety first, I guess.

Well if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, advice, comments, or anything else, please let me know. By the way, I am staying in the Sugar House area, and would be willing to go fishing just about any time besides normal working hours (M-F, 8-5). I look forward to reading everyone's responses. Have a good one.

Brandon
[signature]
[#000000]Hey BDAMAN247,[/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]Welcome to BFT ! [/#000000]
[#000000][/#000000]
[#000000]Check your private messages. I just sent you one.[/#000000]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hi there BDAMAN247 and welcome to the BFT & most particularly the Fly Fishing Forums. BTW once you get the fly bug your other rods will draw cobwebs, at least that has been my experience. There are many good fly casting demos available on YouTube and other sources. However, a reputable fly shop normally will give you some pointers when testing their demo rods. Additional there are numerous fly casting training demos available for sale in the sporting goods outlets.
[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Better yet, there are a bunch of us here in SLC that love to fly fish!
[signature]
I certainly do appreciate the tip. I am going to check out Fish Teck Outfitters today, and see what they have to offer. Also, there have been a few offers for help from a couple of guys in the club. Looks like I am well on my way. I want to thank everyone for being so hospitable to me from Day 1. I do appreciate the hospitality.

See you one the water!
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]I think thats what Fishhound's PM was about.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]