Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish respond surprisingly quickly to fishing
[indent]Once Bitten
Fish respond surprisingly quickly to fishing pressure
By: Dr. Hal Schramm

If you’ve ever wondered how fish react to fishing pressure, a new study on brown trout offers tantalizing clues.
To gauge different responses to angling pressure between heavily fished and relatively untouched populations, biologists measured the catch rates and various behaviors of brown trout in two backcountry New Zealand rivers.
The Ugly River is a wilderness stream accessible only by hiking 10 hours through untracked and difficult terrain. The second site was the Owen River, which is easily accessed by road and has high fishing pressure for a backcountry river. Both are 50 to 100 feet wide, provide the same habitat, and have similar densities and size structures of brown trout.
Let’s Go Fishing
Teams of guides and experienced fly anglers methodically fished similar stretches of each river on four three-day trips. In 12 days, 157 browns were caught on the Ugly River, 51 on the Owen. The fish represented 43 percent of the Ugly River’s estimated population of browns and 11 percent of the Owen’s population. Fish in both rivers averaged about 3.8 pounds.
Both the number of trout seen and hooked declined on successive days of each three-day trip on the Ugly, presumably because fishing pressure pushed the browns tight into cover. Researchers allowed two to four weeks to elapse between each three-day fishing trip, and noted that trout sightings and catches returned to high levels on the first day of each trip. In other words, fish responded to angling immediately, but the effects on trout behavior disappeared after two weeks.
On the more pressured Owen River, the numbers of fish seen and hooked were much lower on the first day and did not change during successive days of each trip.

Also, the trout in the Ugly River were less likely to be spooked, more likely to be caught on the first cast, and overall required fewer presentations. Fish in the Owen that did not spook were more likely to remain at their feeding station while anglers cast to them.
What It Means
Relatively unfished brown trout are less angler-shy and more vulnerable to capture. But the “virgin waters” effect is short-lived. As was apparent in the Ugly River, a single capture drastically changes a fish’s behavior.
Whether this response is learned or has a physiological basis—such as elevated levels of stress hormones or the depletion of energy reserves after capture—is not easily determined, but the effect lasts several days.
There was also a “chronic” effect of fishing in the Owen’s browns. The trout were less visible and less catchable. And, while fish occupying visible feeding stations were less likely to spook, they were also less likely to take a fly.
Do these findings apply only to brown trout in New Zealand streams? I doubt it. Fish in small, clear streams are highly vulnerable, but dozens of anglers fishing even a large lake or reservoir day after day can “educate” a lot of fish.
I commonly hear fisheries management colleagues who try to maintain large populations of quality fish lament the effect of “increasingly skilled anglers” and how technology has raised angler efficiency. There is little doubt that angler skill and efficiency is increasing, but we may be wrong in assuming that the fish don’t change, too.
Dr. Hal Schramm is a biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, Mississippi Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, and professor of Wildlife and Fisheries at Mississippi State University.

[/indent]
[signature]
[font "Times-Roman"][size 3][font "Times-Roman"][size 3]
[left]From a Survey of Fish Stocks on the R Shannon Ireland:
[left]
[left]In recent years the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board has received complaints regarding the
[left]apparent decline in fish stocks in the River Shannon downstream of ........
[left]
[font "Times-Roman"][size 3][font "Times-Roman"][size 3]
[left]Intensive water quality monitoring conducted in this section of the River Shannon ... over the past number of years has failed to detect any significantly elevated levels of nutrients...Routine monitoring by the EPA has, likewise, failed to detect any contamination ....
[left]
[left][font "Times-Roman"][size 3][font "Times-Roman"][size 3]The results from the present survey, however, clearly demonstrate that this section of the River
[left]Shannon supports a large and sustainable population of coarse fish, ..... The numbers of fish recorded during the survey indicate the presence of a
[left]population that should be capable of satisfying the requirements of an active ..... pleasure fishery.
[left]The decline in angler catch rates, as reported ...., could be explained by the movement or migration of fish from their traditional feeding grounds, areas intensively fished by anglers, to less disturbed and less accessible areas. Such movements have been documents for other
[left]coarse fisheries, ...on the River Shannon and in a number of intensively fished Irish canal sections.
[left]Further evidence for such movements has recently been gleaned for marine fish species along intensively fished beaches on the east coast of Ireland
[/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][frown]Well I fished the Lower Owens this week for less than an hour. Why because the wind was howling, the river was flowing at around 600 fps [according to on-line DWP report] and clarity was like chocolate milk. See for yourself. What did I catch, nada, zip, zero. So that is why I headed up into the mountains where I found conditions more favorable to a fly fisherman.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline "lower owens.jpg"]
[signature]
the article mentioned possible stress hormones and I've always maintained that trout are easily stressed out - so I think it's absolutely true. you can see this from several examples, but one of the easiest is how quickly they can die after a catch. (even when handling them with the best of care) some people will try and chalk it up to slime coating being removed or whatever....bah. yes, that stuff is important, but it's certainly not the whole picture.

a good example of their stress level is proven in taste. do this test for yourself if you'd like, but it's a taste test...so I'd recommend testing it on stockers if you practice C&R for trout like I do. I feel much better about taking a stocker to eat than a native or even a larger specimen. anyway, the test - kill the trout immediately after catching it by tapping the right spot on their head. should be plenty of info on the net about this. it doesn't take a huge boulder dropped on their head - just a small rock or hammer in the right spot. then leave your next catch on the stringer to die whenever he dies. just make sure they're both stockers - same age, same forage base, same color meat. (instead of comparing a white meat trout with a red meat, for example, because the difference is huge)

go home and cook both of these fish with the same method and tell me which tastes better. it will always be the one you killed instantly and that's because of the acids that build up in their flesh from stress hormones. I've tried this with other fish species and the difference is negligible. trout "stress out" much more than most fish.

not a big secret to many a trout angler, but some people might be educated from it. speaking of education - the post you made was great! thanks. [Smile]
[signature]