Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Motor Repair Shop - Help
I messed up my Minn Kota trolling motor pretty bad, or at least a 5 yr old hit the go button while the motor was still in the stored position and the prop beat against my boat doing some damage internally, the motor will run and then it won't, I figure it has some sort of overload switch to shut it off until things cool down, which means something is out of wack inside. I ran it with and without the prop, it didn't make any difference.
I am wondering if Croft Power & Equipment is very good at fixing these motors? I read the thread back in July of 2006, that was 2 years ago has anybody had first hand experience, 2nd hand would be good enough, whether they are good or not. I am desperate to get back on the water since the bass are getting ready for nature's call to reproduce and some of the best fishing is getting ready to happen. I would just as soon not have to ship it out of state and if anybody knows of other shops around, please don't hesitate to write something.

Thanks in advance

Scott
[signature]
I have been using MinnKota motors since we have had a boat. Their expertise and fine products are simply the best. MinnKota knows best, and they will do a fine job of rebuilding your motor if you want.

I would just suggest that you use this "accident" and buy a new MinnKota or buy one of their rebuilt ones if you don't have the money. They now have a 3-year warranty on new models. Can't give you any info on local or Utah rebuilt places, but if you decide on them, I would clear them with MinnKota first. Things are not always as simple as one might imagine.

I always disconnect my motor from the battery, unless 1000% sure that I or a fishing buddy are the only things, yes, things, around. I almost had an identical instance when my dog started licking and chewing the handle on an older motor. I propably had lunch not long before so that must have attracted her.
[signature]
We were out fishing when the 5 yr old jumped up and ran towards the trolling motor and pushed the button after we came down off of plane. I should have put the switch in the off position, I am use to my daughter being on the boat, this was the first time this little girl and her mother had been fishing with me. This was a freak accident but one never knows what the kids will do. I just got done "teaching" her how to steer and make it go, she was having a ball just doing that. The thing about kids that age, they don't have the maturity to understand about these things and what the consequences are, she was just having fun. I can't get mad at her, she didn't realize what she did and I am not going to yell at her and put a damper on her fun. I will just chalk this up to an expensive lesson, probably buy a new motor and watch her closer, shut off the switch, and let her have some more fun steering. The one thing that I picked up out of this, always secure things when the little ones are around, it could have been worse, they move so fast and do things that aren't thought of, you almost have to be one step ahead of them.

I agree, Minn Kota motors have been really good, I owned a couple of Motorguides, didn't care much for them, I will use the Minn Kota from here on out, they have been great motors. I would like to get this one fixed for a back-up motor for tournament fishing when I can't be without one or I might end up selling it for one heck of a price, not sure yet.

Scott
[signature]
That is really nice that you are teaching your kid early on. The earlier the better. The best thing is that she did not get close to the prop and the only damage is just material damage.

You may find a good place that MinnKota recommends, but with the damage you are describing that are many components burned up inside the motor head, and things that are on the verge of failing. I have had experience with MinnKota rebuilts and will say that they last just as long as the new ones, almost. They basically change everything in the motor head. But this is only when MinnKota does it at their Manakato, Minnesota factory. That is where they build their motors. Everything is USA made, I tell what. That is why you can't beat MinnKota.

There have been cases where people hook up wrong circuitry and components and have had their batteries explode on them. Or, the motor has gone out of control. They may not put on the right gauge wire or circuit breakers, and it turns real nasty. That is why I would clear everything with MinnKota first. They know their parts and specs, so they will give you expert advise.

But in the end, a new motor is the best option, in my opinion. You get a 3-year warranty, which you can extend for another two years, before the firts one expires, for cheap, like $60. And you know you are getting an American Made fine product.
[signature]
Here you go. I had this guy over to my house on Friday night helping me on a wiring problem that I had with my Minn Kota. He also said that he has access to rebuilt units at great prices. Be aware that he actually works out of his house. He has an arrangement with Croft Power Equipment that allows customers to drop their units off there, because Minn Kota required that he have a retail location.

SWEDE R'S AT CROFT POWER EQUIPMENT
596 W 1500 S
WOODS CROSS, UT 84087
Tel: 801-397-1675
Fax: 801-296-0646
[url "mailtoConfusedwederanstrom@aol.com"]swederanstrom@aol.com[/url]
Hours: 7:30am-6:30pm Tu-F, 8am-4pm Sat
[signature]