Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Franklin angler reels in 27th Winni Derby grand prize
[size 2]Franklin angler reels in 27th Winni Derby grand prize

LACONIA — A Franklin man caught the biggest salmon in the 27th annual Winni Derby this weekend and won a 2008 Starcraft 1700 Starfire D.C complete with a motor and trailer for his efforts.

George Lodge Jr. hooked a 4.28-pound 22.750-inch salmon besting Meredith's Alexander White by a mere one-half pound. Third place went to Thomas Jean of Fitchburg, Mass. for his 4.26-pound 23.375 inch fish.

"[My wife's] going to really like this new boat," he said.

Lodge said he has been fishing in the derby for about six or seven years but never won first place.

He said his new fishing rod, a Diawa Hartland downrigger rod purchased from Paugus Bay Sporting Goods, one of the derby sponsors, was a real help to him. He also said he caught the winning fish using a smelt and fresh bait worked best for him all weekend.

"I used it a few times last week," he said. "It sure helped reel in this big fish."

Not only does Lodge have fishing in his genes, he's the musician-songwriter who wrote and scored the music for local fisherman Hal Lyons's DVD called "Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit."

"I thought he was interested in me 'cause I was a great fisherman," Lodge said laughing. "Turns out it's because I'm a musician."

Lodge said his band, Those Guys, plays local venues and will be at the Naswa Beach Bar on June 1 and at Patrick's Pub on motorcycle weekend.

Executive Director Rick Davis said 1,983 people entered this year's contest and caught 261 salmon with an average weight of 3.11 pounds.

Fishermen also caught 17 trout with Mark Thyng of Farmington taking top honors with a whopping 11.72-pound 30.625-in lake trout.

Rodney Furbush of Shapleigh, Maine, took second place with a 9.22-pound 29.750-inch fish and Rodney Smith of Rochester came in third with an 8.12-pound 31 inch trout.

"This has been great weather," said cousins Tracy Simula of Bristol and Rich Simula of Holderness who have been fishing in the Winni Derby for about 20 years.

Both men said Friday's warm, nearly windless day, was the best overall for fishing but said all three days were better than many Winni Derby weekends they have seen.

Northfield's Kevin and Janice O'Neil said they came in early Sunday because of the wind but did get a few. "our best day was definitely Friday," said Janice O'Neil.

"We caught as 3.8-pound salmon. It was third on Friday but probably not today," said Kevin O'Neil.

N.H. Fish and Game Sgt. Jim Juneau said Friday was one of the best days for fishing he'd seen in a long time. "Saturday and Sunday were windy, but Friday was beautiful," he said.

Juneau said people fanned out from Alton Bay to Center Harbor covering just about the entire lake.

He said it seemed like boat traffic was down, but because more people were fishing on a single boat.

Juneau said fishermen are allowed to keep up to two salmon per day, but most of the Derby participants are sport fishermen who save their fish for the weigh in and then release it.[/size]
[signature]