Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd H3 outting report
WOW, again! This thing is totally awesome. Can't wait until I can make the mount for my Fishing Buddy and an extra rod or two.

Now for the REAL good stuff. On my last post/H3 report I mentioned that I had relatively bad cramps in my feet while using the Mares fins. Well this time I opted to try my Force Fins (diving model) and I must say they worked GREAT for me!!! NO cramps at all. They fit better and were super comfortable the whole trip. I also found out that I had WAY more control over the H3 with the Force Fins on. I got to where I could literally spin the boat around in a 360 degree circle without any trouble and minimal effort. The fins powered me along as well as, if not better than the Mares!. I had a GREAT 5 hours on the water with NO PAIN anywhere (cramps or otherwise).
I know TD doesn't particularly care for the Force Fins, but for me they are "the cat's whiskers". I also made a little fin keeper/leash out of a clip that I attached to the fin straps and then to the little tab that is on the bottom of each leg of my waders. The leashes are only about 5" long and work great. I'll get some pictures of everything as soon as I construct my sonor/rod rack.

This float tubing is GREAT FUN and a serious way to fish!! Too bad I didn't catch anything again, BUT I did get several good strikes. NEXT TIME (this weekend:o)
[signature]
Hi Bassamatic

You can regard the force fins as the basic handy trainers for wear all the time.
By comparison the Mares are more the power walking hiking boot.

they are very stiff, quite long and it sounds like they're breaking you in rather than the other way round.

I suggest this:
After using the tube for a couple months on the force fins, your tubing-finning technique will be honed to a fine degree.
Then give those Mares another go.
You might not love them straight away, but you will likely decide that they are the right job for those days when a troublesome wind is pushing the tube around and needs dealing with.
[signature]
But, why would he have to switch. I have been using FF for several years now and they DO every thing he mentioned, PLUS you CAN walk forward in them.
The biggest set back to Force Fins is the price, so if he already has them, In my book he has the best, or if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I can't speak personally about the Mares vs. FF, because I basically have never wanted to switch, However, my brother in-law uses Mare's and forgot them one outing so he tried my old man's Boots and FF and is in love, and there is a big difference. So, with that testimony and the fact they do everything I want (PLUS being able to walk forward), I will never see a need to change. You can't beat that SCOOP of the FF. Plus maybe, WIDER has as much effect as LONGER, but easier leverage. Just a thought.
[signature]
bassmatic..

sounds like you are having a great time playing with that new fishing toy ya got.. I am jealous.. LOL..

..I am gonna throw a small wrench in the gear for a second and offer yet another option on fins..

I did a lot of looking around before I bought my fins.. keeping in mind what my budget was.. and ended up buying the [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?searchOption=products&hvarSearchString=float+tube+fins&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO"]turbo thruster float tube fins[/url] at basspro..
they run 40.00.. are comfortable and so far I have no complaints ..

I figure they are a good option to use until I get used to what I am doing.. and then if I decide to upgrade.. I will already have, as was already said, the basic skills needed ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Hey what ever works. I know TD's un-love goes for the Tubing FF not the diving FF. I wonder if the diving FF are made different? Mmmmmm any way glad to see you are as hooked as the rest of us.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you are making progress.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the Force Fins...I got a pair of the strap on adjustable ones in a package purchase deal. I tried them and could never get them adjusted so they worked well. I simply did not really try to make them work. I know plenty of folks who use them and love them. But, I am happy with the Mares and have no reason to spend more money of FF just to prove I am wrong.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is always about what works best for each of us, on an individual basis. There are no absolutes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, you gotta start playin' with the fishies more and quit messin' with your equipment.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Now by Diving Model FF, which ones do you have, cause as you can see here, they got for $200. up to $750.
http://forcefin.com/Merchant2/merchant.m...ry_Code=51

I have the top ones here for fishing:

http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/mercha...ry_Code=52

But i can see having problems with the ones that come in sizes, specially if you use different shoes/boots:

http://www.forcefin.com/Merchant2/mercha...ct_Count=0
[signature]
didnt you recently tell me that the ff fins you use are on sale at .. uhhmmmmm cabelas I think.. ?? :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have the standard diving Force Fins that now cost $200. When I bought mine years ago I think I paid around $150 for them if I remember correctly. They didn't even offer all those other models way back then. It could be that the float tube FFs are smaller than the diving ones and they also look pretty complicated as far as all those adjustable straps/snaps go. Mine just slip on and there's the single strap on the back and one adjustable latch that attaches the heel strap to the fin. I found mine to be VERY comfortable and easy to use when I was out on the H3 yesterday.
[signature]
So, yours are the solid no adjustment, buy by size ones? The ones I got do have clips and straps, but it works for me because I have boot foot hippers and Simms wading boots and they are two different sizes, so slight adjustment for each.

What do you wear under the your ff, or is it just neo bootie?
[signature]
I went to Wally World and bought some soft rubber soled, low cut "water slippers/shoes" that have a velcro closure strap on the top. They are real light weigh and are made of nylon, I think. I wanted to protect the botton of my wader booties. I paid $5.00 for the shoes and they work great.
[signature]