Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wader boots
So... I've decided that I'll probably be fishing Weber river a lot. Therefore, I need waders (well, okay, I don't need them, but I figure it'll help!)
Plus, I guess I could use them to get just a bit deeper into still waters, since I can't afford a float tube yet (just spent $900 fixing my car... probly shouldn't even get $50 boots yet!)
Would these be okay? 13" would be almost up to my knee. And yes, I have to get kid size... smallest women size is a bit too big for me [crazy]

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602024-cat601948_TGP&id=0027080830496a&navCount=1&podId=0027080&parentId=cat601948&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601948&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602024-cat601948_TGP&id=0027080830496a&navCount=1&podId=0027080&parentId=cat601948&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601948&hasJS=true[/url]
[signature]
I think you would be much better off with the ones I linked to for you. My son wears them. On his third pair ( grows like a weed). Never a leak! I highly recommend these especially if your on a tight budget. They also have adult sizes. $45 + tax for waders and boots is a great deal.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat600398-cat603569&id=0025705830089a&navCount=4&podId=0025705&parentId=cat603569&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat603569&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/...03569&hasJS=true[/url]
[signature]
Well, now here's a technical question... the DWR recommends non-felt soles. Is there a specific reason? Are felt soles better for traction, or somethin'?
[signature]
Felt soles are way better for traction. I will not get in a river without them. Way too dangerous. Cleats are also available but my experience is that they are only good in the right conditions and I haven't seen that yet. The felt is for your safety. Just rinse them really well after each use and you will be ok. I rinse mine anyways because the cleaner they are, the better traction I get. You will slip and fall. Much more without felt. WEAR A BELT! Keeps the water from rushing in and if you fill them up, its hard to swim, stand, and hypothermia is no fun. For me, felt soles are a must for wading rivers. Not needed in a toon on a lake. Cleaning the felt is essential for not transporting things into another area that may hide on your waders soles. Like those mussels and such.
[signature]
Do not buy boots. After being in knee-high water for 3 minutes, you will want to wade in deeper. You will have wasted your money.

Do not buy waders that aren't breathable. You will sweat in them, and your perspiration will quickly take on the same temperature of the surrounding water. Utah water is cold. Always. Therefore you will be cold. This is particularly glaring in the summer, when the air temp will be so nice, and you'll just want to get into your waders wearing just shorts.

Even if you were to wear a polypro type of clothing inside your waders, it will only wick away perspiration to the inside of your waders. And then you're right back to perspiration quickly matching the water temp.

So how do I know this? Ummm, yes, I've learned the hard way.

Be patient, save your dough, and buy breathable waders.

tg
[signature]
I'll have to look into breathable. I was going to get insulated ones, because I do get cold very easily (even with thermal/long-johns and a down jacket, I hate going outside in the middle of winter!).
I'll also get hip waders, instead of boots...lets me go deeper, yeah?
But I have time to pick out just the right ones, since I'll probably have to wait for them to be a Christmas present and get somebody else to pay for them Wink
[signature]