Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Flying the Depths"
I recently moved to AK and there are many lakes that hold deep water salmonoid fishes. By association, people think Alaska/salmon -> king salmon, silver salmon, etc..., but I'm talking more specifically about the Char family (I think Char is a family...), Lakers, Arctic Char and Dolly Varden.

One goal while up here is to refine my fly-fishing techinques, means and methods. Primarily, I have used floating lines in depths from surface to 10 feet. My "fly-fishing mentor" once mentioned, albeit briefly, about fly fishing the depths (25+ ft) for Macks using sinking lines. Does anybody here have any insight on "Flying the Depths"?

...I'll check with my original source, "fly-fishing mentor", on this topic and let you guys know on any info I get from him as well...

General sinking line beta also welcome, although that coulb be it's own thread...

thanks!

ps - pardon my excessive punctuation and drag-on sentences... it's late, a long day and I might've had a nip of some Beam...[blush]
[signature]
Chan deep nymphs with a sinking line. He drops it down in front of him at rod tip then slowly retrieves. Maybe even bouncing it up and down. In water 50' to 60' this is pretty much the only way. In waters 30' I will use a floating and a 30' piece of fluoro.
[signature]