Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Co. kokanee ?
Which lakes in Colorado have kokanne in them?
[signature]
11 mile did, how ever the kokane in there developed a gill parasite and it killed damn near every one of them off. i couldent find anything in the news about it, but i thought something was wrong last year when we couldent catch any, and we usually slay the hell out of them. we went to the DOW biologist in pueblo and asked what had changed and he told the old man and i about it. spinney MIGHT have some, but i doubt that, i know for a fact Blue Mesa is absolutely loaded with them, as a matter of fact its the largest kokane salmon fishery in the nation. Eola Bay (spelling might be off) ALWAYS has large numbers of koks in it. care if you get close to the bridge though there are special regs above it. wedding rings, tipped with shopea (spelling) corn ran with planners killed them last time i was there, and when it warmed up we fished the canyon just past the marine jigging with buzz bombs and destroyed them there along the rock walls also. im not sure about any place else. for some reason the neon green tipped wedding ring, or the yellow tipped wedding ring always worked best. as for jigging, either blue and white or rainbow buzz bombs, just measure your depth on your rod, and use your fish finder and you will destroy them. i really havent fished any other lakes in CO for koks because of the success we had at the previous mentioned lakes.
[signature]
Blue Mesa is the premiere kokanee fishery in this state. Kochanut has explained the plight of Eleven Mile.

Other lakes with decent populations include Green Mtn Reservoir, Williams Fork, Granby, Grand Lake, Gross Reservoir, Taylor Park Res., Vallecito, and Reudi. I'm sure I've missed some. I don't target them.
[signature]
right on guys thanks.
[signature]
Any news from Green Mtn. Res.? I'm thinking of going up in the morning.
[signature]
I had heard there was some snagging going on at GM, but I don't snag so didn't ask about the details.
[signature]
I probably shouldn't either. I am trying to get a lot of fish to can and smoke though. I also don't have any big pink lures. Might try it though, I really would rather be sporting about it.
Thanks for the fast reply, Jon.
[signature]
Jon-

I do know that the kokanee fishing has been pretty decent at Cheeseman Reservir, especially very early in the morning. Pink Tazmanian Devils and chrome/orange Kastmasters have been working well. And those fish actually bite the lure!
[signature]
Saturday was very crowded. Went down for a few hours before sundown and only snagged line and a trout in the back. After that I wasn't into it anymore.

Where do you fish for them at Cheeseman? What size lures should I use?

Thanks for the info, Jon.
[signature]
Petty is that all you think about are Kokes LOL
[signature]