Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Al Faw report!
i had to include my colorado bretheren in this one also. i posted this in the UT forums because my brother lives there and i fish there a bit, original report is worth a chuckle:

figured someone other then me would get a laugh out of this. i figure at least Trout_Slayer would laugh but here gos.

so i woke up around 0330 and low and behold the sun was comming up. so i decided to use the rod i found in my barracks and the little green spinner on it and try my luck at the nearest palace lake. i made it to Al Faw after dodging multiple Hummvess and Stryker vehicles around 0350. started casting near the bridge embankments, and on my second cast BAM! caught and landed a carp that went around 15lbs. took roughly 15 to 20 minutes to kand since the line on the rod i found was so crappy. had about 7 or 8 officers standing on the bridge watching me. it almost seemed like they thought i was odd, fishing in PT gear, with a weapon. anyway it was a blast and work time was comming quick so i high tailed it back to my quarters and showered/changed to go to work.

air temp, about 102F. water temp.... theres no damn way im going in that lake to find out, i have no clue whats in there, but i would say high to mid 80's, maybe even low 90's.

im going to actually go around the lakes on my day off and hit each one. one of the lakes is called walleye lake. im going to go out on a limb and say that it holds no walleye though =-( ill post pics when i have a free second. hows the logan and provo fishing?

by the way, Al Faw Palace is located near downtown Baghdad =-p

** here is the original link, some of the responses that people posted choked the 4 of us up:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/Al_Faw_fishing!_P419138/"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_Forum_C55/Utah_Fishing_General_F58/Al_Faw_fishing!_P419138/[/url]
[signature]
Lol, sounds like there might be some creepy fish in there by the way you said "theres no way I'am going in there." Sounds like fun to catch some big carp. We have lots of lakes and ponds around the house that have big carp in them, I just can't catch them.
[signature]