Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C&R
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I have been practicing C&R for over 15 years. Some of my procedures to protect the species caught are:[/size][/#008000][/font]

[ul][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Use barbless hooks[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]wet hands before handling fish[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]If possible unhook fish while it is still in the water[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]avoid using a net if possible[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Don’t just throw the fish back in the water but make sure it has been revive sufficiently so it can swim away on its own. Revival can be accomplished by holding the fish by its tail and facing into the flow of the water[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Retrieve the fish a.s.a.p. The longer it fights the more stress it experiences[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]When unhooking a fish, the longer it takes, the more stress you put on the fish thus barbless hooks[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][/ul]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[signature]
Great list there Dry Rod. You hear of people saying they released the fish unharmed, but that is after they have dropped it a few times, or played it to exhaustion, hold it out of the water too long, even some have blood dripping. But they claim, "It swam away". That doesn't mean it didn't swim away to die.
Another good rule is: If you want to lift the fish for a photo, as you say, wet your hands first, but hold your breath. If you need air, chances are the fish needed it a few minutes earlier.
In closing....DEAD FISH CAN SWIM AWAY!

I don't worry as much about the new rubber coated C&R nets hurting the fish. They are great and I have seen several times it would have been better for the fish to be netted.
With clients, I always use a net. That way if they want a picture, I ask then to do what I said above, but I will hold the net under the fish incase it wiggles out of their hand. It doesn't drop 5' to 3' but more like 12" to 6"
Good subject, but you should also post this in the REGULAR FISHING forum. These rules don't just apply to flies. Take that treble off and put a single hook[Wink]
[signature]
That is what I do also but theres is one other thing I strive for. While holding the fish by the tail I continue to hang onto the fish until I can feel some strength in it's swishing motion. I don't let go if the fish is trying to wiggle his tail but it still feels like a half effort on the fish's part. With Big fish this can take a few minutes.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Thanks guys - I keep hunting for a subject that will generate some interest. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I watch a lot of fly fishing shows where at times the guest host will treat the fish carefully and the host/guide will just throws the fish in the water from at least 3 to 4'. The other thing is what is with this deal "oh what a pretty fish! " We all know what a fish looks like. Then they look at it from all angles discribing in detail what makes it so pretty. The heck with all that BS. Get the fish back in the water. BTW Tell me your rod wt, fly & size & why you you elected to fish it. I watch these shows trying to learn something new.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I hear you! Specially the info on the gear. Fly Fish TV was great source.
Familiar Waters is kewl at telling the gear also.
[signature]
great topic DR.. .. cursious to see what all is said..

just a couple of curiosity questions here..

is one species of fish stronger than another when it comes to how it is handled.. or how long it takes to bring it in (suceptable to stress is greater with one species over another)..

are bigger fisher more able to survive handling and long retrievals than a smaller one..

now an odd one.. is it more harmful for a fish if I am wearing gloves than if I were not wearing them..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]great article.. reenforces what you said intially.. and makes me glad I took the time to listen to others and got a fine mesh net to use..

Id be curious if there have ever been any articles on a fishes survivability when faced with..

1. long retrievals versus a short quick one

2. the fisherperson wearing gloves or not (I would like to see this one.. but that is just me)..

3. survivability statistics of different species of fish.. in particular to see if one species handles things better than another.. and lastly

4. size .. will a small trout that can be retrieve quicker have higher survivability chances than a large one that takes longer to bring in..

now here is another thing that just came to mind.. and Id say it is species specific.. but here goes..

a lot of anglers use those fish grabbers to bring in their fish. ( I have one but have not used it ).. is their more damage done to a fish using those or other similar tools than if you used a net or your hands..

another thing is the physical makeup of the fish.. for example.. a bluegill or crappie .. although strong.. can be injured easily around the mouth area if not handled correctly (heard say that if you set the hook too hard you can "rip their lips off"..

also heard before that care must be taken when handling a LMB.. if you overextend their lower jaw... it can be weakened/damaged to a point where they cannot eat properly or breath properly .. whereby they woud die of starvation or suffocation (that is why I am very cautious about posting the pic of my first fly rod catch.. I know I handled it correctly.. and I put it back in the water quickly.. but the pictures usually makes others question if I may of hurt the fish by overextending its jaw and or kept it out of the water too long..
[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]again.. just curious..

MacFly [cool]
[/#800000][/font]

[signature]
[cool] Will I get any credit towards a PHD in Ichthyology if I get a couple right? [Wink] Well I will give your test a go. I have been beat up before so why not once again.[pirate] [Wink]
[font "Times New Roman"]1. Long retrievals versus a short quick one [/font]
[#008000][font "Times New Roman"]I would say the latter would be less stressful except for deep water fish. I.e. rockfish[/font]
[/#008000][font "Times New Roman"]2. The fisherperson wearing gloves or not (I would like to see this one... but that is just me)... [/font]
[#008000][font "Times New Roman"]I have read about using wet gloves to handle fish - but not about the best type. Perhaps a latex material.[/font]
[/#008000][font "Times New Roman"]3. Survivability statistics of different species of fish... in particular to see if one species handles things better than another... and lastly.[/font]
[#008000][font "Times New Roman"]Yes different species are certainly hardier than others. However, there are numerous factors involved.[/font]
[/#008000][#008000][font "Times New Roman"]I.e. A trout caught in & release in warm water has a poorer chance for survival than a bass under similar conditions.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[/#008000][font "Times New Roman"]4. Size... will a small trout that can be retrieve quicker have higher survivability chances than a large one that takes longer to bring in... [/font]
[#008000][font "Times New Roman"]Yes[/font]
[/#008000][font "Times New Roman"]now here is another thing that just came to mind.. and Id say it is species specific.. but here goes.. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]a lot of anglers use those fish grabbers to bring in their fish. ( I have one but have not used it ).. is their more damage done to a fish using those or other similar tools than if you used a net or your hands.. [/font]
[#008000][font "Times New Roman"]Definitely[/font]
[/#008000][font "Times New Roman"]another thing is the physical makeup of the fish.. for example.. a bluegill or crappie .. although strong.. can be injured easily around the mouth area if not handled correctly (heard say that if you set the hook too hard you can "rip their lips off".. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I have read similar information[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]also heard before that care must be taken when handling a LMB.. If you overextend their lower jaw... it can be weakened/damaged to a point where they cannot eat properly or breathe properly... whereby they woud die of starvation or suffocation (that is why I am very cautious about posting the pic of my first fly rod catch.. I know I handled it correctly... and I put it back in the water quickly... but the pictures usually makes others question if I may of hurt the fish by overextending its jaw and or kept it out of the water too long... [/font]
[#008000][font "Times New Roman"]Really don't know but it surely is a possibility.[/font]
[/#008000]
[signature]
not trying to beat anyone up.... was just curious on a few things.. like fish size... one species compared to another (had forgotten water temp on a trout and the lmb)..

those type of things.. ya'll know me and that I at times I may overthink things.. and sometimes from that I ask the same thing over and over thinking I am asking something new..
my wife tells me it is an age thing.. thats when I look at her with a real Confused look and ask.. who are you and where is my wife??

anyway.. Ill leave it at that for now and see what else may be said on this excellent topic..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Not to worry mi amigo - the [pirate] beat up reference was a Tongue in cheek attempt at being humorous.[laugh] PS look for the icons. [Wink] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
must be Monday..or Im just getting old.. no wait.. I didnt have my glasses on so I did not see them.. uhhmm okay.. take your pick of which one works.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I am going to question the lip ripper pliers. Specially on Big Fish. For the same reason you shouldn't hold big fish by the tail.. It messes there inners up. It has been said, tail in one hand support belly in other.
Warm weather is very hard on Trout, Yellowstone tried to close some rivers last year because of the hot temps.
As far as the glove, I think they could be good, as long as you don't wipe all the slime off, but they sure help hold on better.
[signature]
About the use of a net to land a fish. Here is what I have seen on the rivers with people I have fished with and just watching (BTW, I use a mesh knot-less net on all my fish. I dip the net in the water first, keep the fish in the water to remove the hook, hold my breath for pictures as suggested).

1. People I have seen that don't use a net have a tendency to grip fish way to tight. I can see them squeeze the life from a fish while trying to get a good grip.
2. I have seen people fumble a slick fish and slap it around often grabbing it hard to hold or cradled it against their chest wiping off a lot of slime.
3. I agree with others, nothing makes me more upset then to see these fishing guides hold a fish up and slide their fingers into the gills for a better grip. Don't do this. Any damage, no matter how slight to the gills is almost always fatal.
4. When releasing the fish, don't hold them in fast running water, this can overwhelm a fish and damage their gills. Hold them in calmer water, preferably with a slow flow, point them into the current and let them revive. Don't jerk them back and forth in the current, reversing the waters into the gills can cause damage. Take your time, let them revive.

Just my 2 cents.

katghoti
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hi there katghoti long time no hear. Thanks for your input. You make a good point about not swooshing a fish back and forth to revive it. Too often you see fishermen "jerking the fish back and forth. A gentle revival is the best procedure. If the water is warm, the revival process will take longer. I find that if I cup my wet hand over the fish turned upside down they stop fighting and it only takes seconds to release the hook. Hopefully the fish that I release today will give someone a rush tomorrow.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Thanks. I have been busy the beginning of this year. I am putting in my yard and haven't had a lot of time to go fishing. I'm hoping to get out more. Thanks for the tips, I was in the Utah fishing board and looking at the pictures and cringe when I see them hook their fingers in the gills and just about break the jaw's of the fish cranking on their bottom lip. Let's take care of our fish to catch again, but also, take some some of the smaller fish home to eat on the rivers that need them. Glad to be back.
katghoti
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Man that little one in your avatar must have seen one of those lip grabbers get a hold of his pet fishy. He/she surely looks pi**ed off - but cute. Is that one of your crew?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Naw, I found this online and loved the look of it. Seems to be my mood lately. Besides, I laugh at it every time I see it.

katghoti
[signature]
I have to agree. I go to the Utah board and cringe also. I want to be cool and pat on the backl, but like in the Henry's post, every opne of them the fingers right in the gills. Didn't want to be a buzz killer, so just asked they try to correct that so I can catch them when they grow up[laugh][Wink]
[signature]
Yea that Henry's report is what I was talking about, but the Pineview reports all show them cranking that jaws down on the bass. I guess it is because the do it on TV, but to support the weight of a large fish by its bottom jaw is just too much.

katghoti
[signature]
[center][shocked] [#ff0000]Yea like this is a tool everyone needs.[/#ff0000] [pirate]
[center][font "Poor Richard"][#800000][size 4] [inline picrapalagrip2031.jpg][/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]