Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good first baitcaster for bass
I'm looking into getting a baitcasting reel for bass applications (spinnerbaits and cranks).

I got one to try a few weeks ago, practiced with it for 2 hours and returned it. In 2 hours of practicing, adjusting the brake, and even trying two different kinds of line, I could not cast the thing. It was a $40 Okuma.

On the flip side, I used Tailgrabber's (from here at BFT) Styra baitcaster for a dozen or so casts this weekend. I didn't make a mess of it once. I even caught a smallmouth bass with it.

What a difference between the crummy Okuma and Tailgrabber's baitcaster. I'm confident I can fish successfully with a reel like that one, but I couldn't do so with the Okuma. Can the quality of the reel really make that BIG of a difference???

My question is... what would be a good baitcaster to get? ...something easy to use and effective for throwing spinnerbaits and crankbaits. I don't want to spend $300+.
[signature]
Do yourself a huge favor and get a quality Spinning outfit. A seven foot 10 to 20 pound fast taper rod and a Shimano reel will catch more fish with less hassles than any baitcaster. Sure those baitcasters have their place, Flipping and other heavy line applications, but Spinning was invented to address all the problems accociated with those "old "technology" reels. We do a lot on night fishing out here and I pretty well have all my friends turned into spin fishermen. Ever try to pick out a backlash in the dark? No fun. Meanwhile I just keep catching fish. The more you spend, the happier you will be for the most part. A Saros would be about the minimum for an up and coming angler. They are smoother and have a drag capable of the required level of smoothness to land trophy fish. I like the 2500 size. Quality line is also important! Crap line can make the best outfit act like the worst. My favorite is Spiderwire XXX Monofiliment, Not EZ. Smooth, consistant and supple, it lays on the water like a dream and has fantastic Knot strength. Good luck and sorry to try to bum you out on your baitcaster. Do any Flipping??? If you do, let me know and I'll pontificate on what I've discovered about this disipline. Remember, It's all about Quality, not Quantity.
[signature]
Here is my opinion. Take it or leave it.
I just recently learned how to use a baitcaster and the ONLY reason i figured it out THIS time was i got ahold of a QUALITY reel. I have had 4 others in the past and they were all JUNK. I bought an Abu Garcie 5600 C4 and loaded it with 50# Spiderwire Stealth. I adjusted a little and started throwing f-7 rapalas with it! I can throw almost anything within reasonable weight and not get many backlashes. I also just recently bought an Abu Revo for $110. It is a low-profile reel. It so far, is as smooth as silk and a touch less forgiving than the round abu, BUT it is a sweet real and i can cast it with ease.
One more thing, if you do buy a baitcaster, use a 2 oz weight to practice until you get comfortable and then lessen the weight of your lure a little at a time.
The types of fishing i do put alot of strain on your back and shoulders with a spinning rod. Not so with a baitcaster. My .02[Wink]
[signature]
Quantum Accurists are pretty good as well as the Shimano Citica, and around $100 or so. Okuma makes really good reels but just like everything else you get what you pay for. Baitcasting reels are not old technology [crazy], they pull the line in instead of wind it up plus they have more power than a spinning reel. For cranks and spinnerbaits and the list goes on there is no better choice. I use my bc reels in the dark and have no problems at all. I admit, it takes some getting used to but you will learn to prefer them over spinning reels. Especially when casting heavier baits.
You will spool out, it happens but as you get better they turn into 'professional overruns' and you can fix it in a few seconds. I could go on for a long time, being able to control your cast distance easily and effortlessly is my favorite things about bc reels.
[signature]
I can get my hands on a brand new Shimano Curado for around $150 (the model that holds 120 yds of 12# test and has a 6.2:1 gear ratio) at my local fishing tackle store. That seems like a good deal since they were $200 and are on sale for $170 at Cabela's. Judging from the 4.9/5.0 rating based on 38 reviews, I think I should be getting a good reel.

Actually, to add to this post and pose another question I am editing said post.

They have a 100 series model that holds 120 yards of 12# line (plenty for me) and a 6.2:1 G.R. They also have a 300 series that weighs 3 oz more. It holds around twice as much line (which I won't really need), but has a high efficiency gear system and a 7.0:1 G.R. The high efficiency gear system isn't available on the 100 series.

Which one should I get? Like I said, I primarily want to use this rig for throwing spinnerbaits since they seem to be a bread and butter set-up for bass. I wonder if I got the bigger reel if I could double this rigs uses and take it for big fish, too (pair it with a medium/heavy rod so I could throw spinnerbaits for bass or 1 oz lures for muskies). Could I be just as versatile with the smaller reel?

By the way, thanks a million for the answers and advice. You guys have been great to me, very friendly and a big help!
[signature]
The only trouble with a 7.0 or higher GR is it will be hard to slow down a spinnerbait with that speed. My revo is 6.4:1 and it is a little fast for them.[Wink]
[signature]
I ended up buying the smaller reel with the 6.2:1 ratio. I got the reel and a $70 rod for $200, tax included. So I paid about $115 or $120 for the reel and it sells for $169.99 on Cabela's website.

The rod is a 7' medium (just for bass) weight with a medium fast action. It'll handle lures up to 5/8 oz, so all my 3/8 and 1/2 oz spinnerbaits will work well.

Anyway, I put 30 pound Spiderwire Stealth on it like Lunkerhunter is using and played with it for a half hour or so. I didn't have any major problems. I still need to learn it better so I can be a little longer and more accurate casting, but all-in-all I can operate it with little problems.

I found it a little easier to cast with two hands. Is that a problem?
[signature]
Unless i am tight to the bank, less than 20', i always use both hands. Better control and accuracy. Which reel did you get??
[signature]
Like LH2 said, unless I'm close to the bank I usually use two hands. I don't know if that is good or bad but that's what works for me. I'm still learning how to effectively pitch but I'm getting better. When you can sail that lure 1' above the water for 30 feet and just make a whisper of a splash oohhhhh.
The gear you got is perfect, some say "you can always reel slower" but 6.2 is my preference for cranks and spinnerbaits. I use a 5:3 for senkos and jigs.
Keep practicing and before you know it will become an extension of your arm, you will be able to reel in and cast again before someone with a spinning reel flips over their bail.
[signature]
[#588000]Good choice on the Shimano. I have one of the Curado 200 series and they are excellent reels. I also have Abu Garcias and Quantum Accurists - Oddly, I like them even better than the Shimano even though they were cheaper.[/#588000]
[#588000] [/#588000]
[#588000]The 6:2 ratio is good for your application. Though the ratio is more of a personal choice in most cases, as a person can learn to speed up or slow down to match the lure being used (within reason) - you will develop your own preferences over time as you adapt your own style of casting to the type of fishing you do. I have every thing in baitcasters from 2:9 to 7:0 ratios and find that unless it is a very specific situation, I can usually make do with what is at hand. But then again, the first reel I ever had in my hand was a casting style round reel - that was back in the mid 1960's.[/#588000]
[#588000] [/#588000]
[#588000]Good line can make a hugh difference in casting and catching, but even so, I have found that knots can make even more difference. Learn to consistantly tie good strong knots.[/#588000]
[#588000] [/#588000]
[#588000]Casting is an acquired skill. There is nothing wrong with using two hands. I generally do unless I am flipping, pitching, or casting very short distances. [/#588000]
[#588000] [/#588000]
[#588000]As far as weights of lures go, I usually use spinning gear for very light or finese presentations (1/32 to 1/4 oz.) - for the rest I would generally choose casting gear. [/#588000]
[#588000][/#588000]
[#588000]For me, there are some kinds of fishing that really do work better with spinning outfits - for example; casting lighter lures into strong wind and casting under docks or over hanging trees where you have to skip your lure on the water before you hit your target. BTW - you can also flip and pitch with a spinning reel. [/#588000]
[signature]
LH2, I ended up getting the Shimano Curado 100DSV. Like I said, for the price I got it for, it was too good of a steal to pass up. Bass Pro and Cabela's have them on sale for $169.99 and I paid $115.

I found I cast a little better with the brakes lessened and relying on my thumb unless its windy. The reel I got has a sideplate that comes off on the palm side, exposing 6 weights (for backlashes in the beginning of the cast) and a knob on the opposite side (for backlashes at the end of the cast).

I've used it quite a bit since I got it and now that I've become acquainted with operating it correctly, I have to work on accuracy... [:/]
[signature]
I couldn't agree more I have one bait cast and all I do with it is flip and sometimes I don't even use it for that but I have very good casting and flipping control with the open reel I guess It's to each there own and other people may have better control with the baitcast(they must because it is very popular) I guess the one thing i will say about the bait cast is it is good for getting you lure in the water without much of a splash and sometimes that not so much a good thing.
[signature]
For what it's worth, I will offer my opinion and feedback from my experience, be it rather limited or not. I first started out fishing with baitcasters then switched to spinners after great frustrations and many obsene gestures/words. I found that with spinning combos, I could not effectively control my rod and lures. I just could not develop a "rythm" to time my casts and landings to the proper place. I then picked up some of my baitcasters again and swore to get better at using them. Not after I got a little older and more "wise" did I discover the difference between a quality baitcaster and a piece of junk. At the end of last year, I made a "discovery" for myself that changed how I fish and will fish.

Some reading this may consider it advertising so be that as it may. My "discovery" was the reel comapny Ardent Reels out of Macon, Missouri. I baught their latest model baitcaster (the XS1000) after reading and hearing great reviews for it. When I first spooled and cast it my facial expressions almost froze in place as if I had a stroke. Absolutely no backlash without any break or clutch adjustments, mind you this was my first cast. Without any extra effort the reel cast at leat 3-4 times farther than any baitcaster I have ever used be it Daiwa, Shimano, Abu Garcia, or Okuma. To this day, ( I have only had the reel for a few months) I have not had a single backlash. In another few months time my rod and reel will truly be an extension of my arm and hand.

I am an very sorry I did not have this reel when first starting out. To me, using a piece of junk reel is like driving a car looking through the rear view mirror with the transmission in reverse. It is COUNTERPRODUCTIVE and makes you develop anger and a tendency to unprovonkingly yell out all shapes and forms of vulgarities and profanity. My Ardet Reel has been the greatest fishing asset I have ever had, if I even had any before. It truly is a masterfully designed and manufactured reel. I was so impressed that I recently baught a second one, as soon as I had some fishing money.

If you serously want to learn baitcasting here is the info my dear fishing friend, please spare yourself high blood pressure and dead brain cells and read about and buy and Ardent Reel. It will be a new beginning for you, you will want to smash every single spinning reel you see and own:

Ardent Reels
[url "http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/default.asp"]http://www.ardentoutdoors.com/default.asp[/url]

**You can also take pride in knowin that you fish with a 100% Made in USA reel, backed up by a no questions asked 3 year warranty.
[signature]
I'll have to look into the Ardent the next time I have some extra fishing money.

As for right now, the baitcasting reel I bought (Shimano Curado) has become my favorite (all my others are spinning). I just wish I could go back in time a few weeks and bought a baitcaster and casting rod instead of spending $150 on a spinning reel and spinning rod for worms.

Like I said in the initial post, I had a cheapo baitcaster and had nothing but problems. At this point, I have the brakes just about off and I don't backlash anything. Distance and accuracy are ten times better than they were in the early learning stages. I still think I'm a little more accurate with the spinning outfits, but not by much.
[signature]
This has been an interesting thread for me. I was about to fire off a heated reply to fsh4fun, but thought better of it. I grew up on spinning reels. I will say I seriously doubt you can cast and be reeled in before I close my bail. Even now. (A few weeks ago was the first time I have been fishing in over 23 years.)

I don't see how bait cast reels can be more accurate than spin cast reels. When I was fishing all the time, I could put my lure about any place I wanted to.

Only bait caster I have is an older ABU Ambassodeur 5001C I bought many years ago. I doubt this qualifies as the quality type of reel this thread says I should be using.

I enjoy all types of fishing using any type of reel, but this thread made me realize why the spinning reel has always been my favorite. Because I use light lures, and light lines. 8 pound is my "heavy" line. I prefer 4 pound. When I was fishing all the time, open lakes were where I fished. I didn't have to worry about hauling a fish out of the lily pads. Or about landing a lunker largemouth. Or a muskie.

I'd rather be catching panfish all day than fishing all day for one large fish. I've done both. After awhile catching small fish is more funner than casting all day for a couple big fish. Especially if you are using light equipment.

Edit: Thanks to line_dangler for the link. I prefer to buy American whenever possible. Now to make a trip to my local Cabela's. [cool]
[signature]
Just to post an update, I am officially hooked on my baitcaster. I have really boosted my accuracy to the point that I can hit my target unless I have the occasional "oops" cast. I don't use the brakes anymore and almost never have any sort of a backlash (maybe 1 tiny backlash in 100 casts).

So I bought a 2nd baitcaster, another Shimano and I'm using it for Senkos. In my case, I've gone from being able to throw them a max of 20 yards (maybe 25 downwind) with my spinning gear to around 35 yards (sometimes almost 40). Granted, the pole I am using is 7" longer which accounts for most of the distance gain.

I still have a lot of spinning reels that I really like. In fact, I don't think I'll replace my spinning set-ups for tubes or jigs with baitcasters, but I will replace my spinning set-up for muskies and probably add a swimbait rod/baitcaster in the somewhat near future.
[signature]
I have heard a lot of good things about shimano reels, but what do you all think of baitcast reels from companies like Zebco, Daiwa, Okuma, etc?
[signature]
I love my Abu Garcia 5600 C4 for worm fishing. Upper end quantum Diawa and Pflueger are all good too. but for less than 100 bucks the C4 will last a lifetime if taken care of. the first C4 i bought i bought solely b/c it had the thumb bar instead of side switch like the C3 has. its a heavier reel but only b/c its made with lots of durable metal parts.

If i had plenty of money though id definitely buy a ton of Revo, summit, and steez reels. the pros dont use them for no good reason...
[signature]
I bought a LH revo-s on ebay last spring and I really like it. I will probably get another. I also have a LH Daiwa exceler that I like as well
[signature]
Most if not all baitcasters under $100 is crap. The Revo is getting good props. Low profile is the way to go. I wouldn't trade my Shimano Chronarchs for anything.
[signature]