Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C&R
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I have been practicing C&R for over 15 years. Some of my procedures to protect the species caught are:[/size][/#008000][/font]

[ul][li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Use barbless hooks[/size][/#008000][/font] [li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]wet hands before handling fish[/size][/#008000][/font] [li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]If possible unhook fish while it is still in the water[/size][/#008000][/font] [li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Avoid using a net if possible[/size][/#008000][/font] [li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Don’t just throw the fish back in the water but make sure it has been revive sufficiently so it can swim away on its own. Revival can be accomplished by holding the fish by its tail and facing into the flow of the water[/size][/#008000][/font] [li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Retrieve the fish a.s.a.p. The longer it fights the more stress it experiences[/size][/#008000][/font] [li][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]When unhooking a fish, the longer it takes, the more stress you put on the fish thus barbless hooks[/size][/#008000][/font][/li][/ul]
[signature]
I almost always practice C&R. I always use a net, though. From the experience I have had, the net keeps the fish from thrashing around. I've had a pickerel almost rip his own head off thrashing about, trying to free the hook from his mouth. Bass and trout also can hurt themselves.

My primary concern is the fish's health after I land them. I'd rather wreck my lure than hurt the fish.

I have been pressing the barb down on my spinnerbaits after I catch the fish. The barb really helps save bad hooksets. I'll utilize the barb's help landing the fish and then mash it down before I pull the hook back out. It really saves on tearing the fish's mouth.
[signature]