Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat ?
ok i have been fishing the same old rock Corey for a few years on and off. The last summer and this spring i have been getting some little 6 inch cats. every cat i get is about the same size. ill catch 2 or 3 in an hour on a regular day and if im fishing at night even more but everyone is that same old size. why do u think this is? is there a way to tell if there are bigger ones? whats your input. the corey is connected to a little stream but they don't go in there.
[signature]
[#588000]Rock quarries can be somewhat infertile and thus the carrying capacity of them are is not as high as other environments. Therefore, the fish can be overall stunted - i.e. there are too many fish for the amount of food available.[/#588000]
[#588000][/#588000]
[#588000]That said, there could also be an issue with the location you are fishing and/or the kind of bait you are using.[/#588000]
[#588000][/#588000]
[#588000]If you can, post a photo of the fish you are catching and give a few more details of the location in the quarry you are fishing and the kind of bait and presentation you are using. [/#588000]
[signature]
ok thanks i will post some pictures up next time i go out.
[signature]
Could be one of several things.

If the quarry had seen a large fish kill recently, usually only the bigger cats will die b/c the smaller ones handle lower oxygen levels better. Thus leaving only littlin's.

Or, perhaps the system is full of snail bullheads and not channels, blues, or white cats.

Or perhaps they were only recently stocked, or perhaps the thermocline you are fishing in only holds smaller cats and you need to fish shallower or deeper for the larger critters.

Or maybe you're holding your mouth wrong[:p]
[signature]