Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New flies
Thanks to lil' Bro Macfly, I was turned on to a new fly tying site. I know there are many variations to different flies out there, but some really peek my interest.
Here in the Rocky Mountains, there are certain flies that are a give me every year. For example the Hoppers, which last year were scares.
But STONEFLIES are a must every year, along with my Chironomids.
Of this site, I scored a new pattern for both and they are sweet. I am changing the colors on the Chironomid to suit my waters, but they are fun and I KNOW they are going to work.
PA, ought to like the Blue Buzzer due to the fact I made him some this spring I called the Bruise.
Here is the stone, but search the site out for others like I did.
http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/month/356

Here is a few of mine:

[Image: RedBuzzer1.jpg]

[Image: BlueBuzzer4.jpg]

[Image: BluBuzzer3.jpg]

[Image: Stone3.jpg]
[signature]
love those flies sis..do you also tie the chromes in a shade of green.. also on the last one.. back in the midwest there are large "horse" flies that are more in the shades of dark greens.. as well as the fly we used to call the "snake doctor" but those are a little thinner and more in the brown shades.. bottom line.. like you said.. you tie in colors to suit your area.. but man the ones you tied look simply awesome.. [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I will tie some up in Green. They aren't Chrome. Simple thread with Flashabou ribbing, build up thorax with thread. BIOT on the sides and Pearl Mylar on top. Coat the heck out of the whole fly with Sally's Hard As Nails nail polish.
What shade of Green on the Horse flies?
[signature]
dark and medium greens... can also be dark and medium browns..

was I right on the red echo.. lol.. you have so many tubes/toons or combos its hard to keep track.. LOL>.

MacFly
[signature]
Yes the Echo. I am putting some flies and leaders together and will ship next week.
[signature]
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I have tied several midges that look very similar to the one's you are illustrating. The use of scud backing & Sally Hanson hard as nails makes it a very quick and easy fly to tie. Looks like you are using two different colors of backing FGD to achieve the multi color effect. Nice job of tying that humming bird ah I mean fly. It just looks big compared to the vise but I'm sure that it is just an illusion.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[Smile] t/y
[signature]
[Smile]I love your Bruise Miss Joni. The fish at willow pond, herriman pond, Vernon just cant not take it. I lost one due to a poor cast and one of the other ones is getting pretty chewed up, but they are still eating it, The white bead ones work just as well also. Question: should a bigger size be used for the larger waters( schofield, strawberry etc)?. Any recommendation for Joes valley splake?

pa
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hi pa - thanks for dropping in at the Fly Fishing forums. BTW do you tie your own flies? Never thought that I would but being retired brings lost of free time when one just can't be fishing. Well unless you live in UT, CO, WY, ID, WA etc where everyone has a river or lake in their back yard.[Wink][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I wouldn't go too big, because of what it is imitating. The Chironomid at Pelican one year were huge. Like a #12 scud.
Most I use are in the #14 to #22 in a scud hook and straight hooks about a #16 to a #20. And yes you can tie them either way. They do straighten out and wiggle.
I am asking anyone...If you can find some BLUE BIOT I will take it. I used flexifloss on this one but the biot is much easier to work with.
Guess I will have to check Cabela's or Western rivers, but if anyone finds some give me a shout PLEASE
Oh yeah, and PURPLE
[signature]
No , I dont tie my own flies YET. Will take a class this winter then I can leave poor Joni alone. Na. What ever would she do without me buggin her?LOL[Smile] Before I can learn to tie ,I should probally learn what I'm trying to tie. I'm still learning but I do think I'm getting better.

pa
[signature]
I just realized something.. and maybe I am slow.. but what type of fly is that in your avatar.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Looks like a Canadian Honker to me. Must be some big fish swimming around his way.[Wink][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
It is a spun deer hair duck. If I am not mistaken, tied by the same guy that came up with the "Thingamabobber" He is the master of spun deer hair. Even makes one to look like a cigarette butt...Carp love that one.

Macki: I will get some leaders made up for you tomorrow, but by request, here is the Newbie in Brown and Olive, just for you.

[Image: 2stone4003.jpg]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]on the stone fly link that you posted it says to use a dubbing loop.. do you have to use a loop or is it easier to do it that way.. ?[/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]MacFly [cool][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
awesome.. simply awesome.. thank you sis.. you are the best..

MacFly
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hummm - I thought blue biots would be easy to find. Checked several locations out & nada. However, here are a pair of blue biot ear rings or at least that was it's discription. Might be able to tie a few flies from these two.[Wink][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline er.jpg]
[signature]
Im sure you could.. but wouldnt it be nicer to get them for a nice lady friend.. say.. uhhhmmm I dont know. maybe FG to wear on the water??

MacFly
[signature]
EARRING SCHMEARRING That is what I need! Right color also! Where do I find these earring? PERFECT! Probably cost less than the biot in a fly store[laugh]

An Mac, I do use a dubbing loop. I prefer that over any other kind of dubbing. The only difference I did is he is using the hair from Zonker Strips. I have other uses for my Zonkers, so I am using SEAL. Not as hairy, but hopefully that is the only difference. I mean, maybe he found rabbit hair had some more qualities to this fly. We shall see.
I like the brown, cause we do get Golden Stones here. Make it a little smaller and it could be the fly.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][blush][blush][blush] Noooo not for me. For the FGD.[Wink][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]