Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FWC biologist honored with award for aquatic conservation
Michael Hill, a biologist with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), received the Richard Coleman Aquatic Resources Award from the Florida Lake Management Society at the organization's conference Wednesday in Destin.

<br>The award recognizes a professional who has worked to restore, protect and/or advance the public's understanding of Florida's aquatic resources.<br>

<br>Hill works for the FWC in the Panhandle region of Florida, developing and managing restoration projects in lakes, rivers and streams.<br>

<br>"We're extremely proud of him," said David Douglas, Hill's supervisor. "He's worked diligently in improving aquatic habitat in the Panhandle."<br>

<br>Recent accomplishments include the removal of a dam on a steephead stream of the Apalachicola River in conjunction with The Nature Conservancy. That project reflects what can be done in other parts of Florida where thousands of dams create a fragmented habitat harmful to fish and wildlife.<br>

<br>Hill also worked with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at Eglin Air Force Base, Douglas said. The work done there in restoring aquatic habitat resulted in the Oklaloosa darter's population recovering so well it is to be delisted as an endangered species.<br>

<br>"I'm flattered," Hill said. "When I looked at the list of past recipients of this award and saw my mentors had received it, I was even more honored."<br>

<br>The Florida Lake Management Society is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the protection, enhancement, conservation, restoration and management of Florida's aquatic resources. Hill, a 30-year veteran with the FWC, works in the Division of Habitat and Species Conservation in the Aquatic Habitat Conservation and Restoration Section.