Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damsels
I was fishing the pond yesterday and right next to my pack was a Damsel Nymph. It was a PALE OLIVE ( I have also seen them in gray and pale brown) and about an inch long.
I have several NYMPH patterns for this bug, but I wanted something that really wiggled.

Here is the Damsel Nymph;

[inline damselflynymph.jpg]

Here is what I came up with:

[inline "Damsel 2.jpg"]
[signature]
are you going back there today to try it out?? if so.. I sees a blog coming.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000][cool][#008000]Hey there MacFly - check out the chart that I had posted. That dude is one of the insects listed.[/#008000][/#008000][#008000] Can you imagine eating one of those bugs. That is if you want to leave out the middleman - like a trout.[Wink] Perhaps the FGD has come up with another topic of conversation. That is to show an illustration of the insect and one that is tied to replicate same.[/#008000][/font][/size]
[signature]
are you talking bout the chart that describes hatch insects and the flies that imitate them?? or did I miss something else again.. LOL>.

..I did do some chekcing on damsel fly patterns on line.. and saw some that look to be more traditional in as much and they try to imitate that fly very close to the real fly.. and then there were just as many if not more with variances like the one posted here...that although they dont look exactly like the real fly .. the resemblance.. with a few minor changes is amazing..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I have had great luck with the as you call Traditional. The Spectrumize Damsel has never let me down.
I tied this in a larger size and posted it as Mr. Ugly. I have caught more fish on this guy.
Looking at the one by my pack and actually seeing them in water they really wiggle. The Traditional represent the way the fly looks, not moving. The tail and the stripping tech give it life.
This one is on a very short hook. So, it appears the abdomen and the short tail on the real thing, are doing the moving. When this is wet, it is really close. That also explains then Small Mouth I caught on it in Idaho. That was on a floating line with a 9' leader and strike indicator suspending it.
The slow moving water must have brought the fly to life. New pattern so I will do more experimenting.
[signature]
what you say makes lots of sense.. especially the part about how it looks like the still fly in real life.. and this one looks like the real fly when moving..

you cant argure success.. cant wait to see your resluts with this new one you tied..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]