Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nail knots
I'm getting back into flyfishing. Tying a nail knot is giving me fits. I consider myself to be "Mr. Knot" but, my nail knots look bad. I don't trust sloppy looking knots. When my nail knot works, the wraps spread out. I actually put adhesive on the one I tied yesterday. I have tried something that works like a uni-knot. I make a uni style loop beside the flyline, make about 6 wraps inside the loop and around the runner and flyline. Pulling this tight, the loop bunches the wraps together.
Any thoughts or helping hints on joining flyline and leader?
[signature]
here is a link to the Fly Fishing and Tying Knots thread that has a video on [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Fly_Fishing_Forum_C69/Fly_Fishing_%26_Tying_Knots_F311/Tie_Fast_Tool_P419259/"]tying the nail knot[/url] with the tie fast tool...

... you can also go to this link off the [url "http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html"]Orvis[/url] homepage that will take you to some excellent videos on how to tye the most common knots used in fly fishing...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
You gotta have that tool. I even have a little one on my key ring.
The trick is to pull on both fast and steady, but I put my thumbnail on the line where I want the knot to start. It is like a stopper.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080]Im like you sis.. I have it in my bag that goes with me.. maybe that is why I keep forgetting where it is.. LOL.. (reminds me.. I gotta take that with me to TN when I go on vacation.. )[/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080]...now for the knots to tie on your fly.. well I still use that other tool that you yelled at me about.. LOL.. [/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080][/#000080][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#000080]MacFly [cool][/#000080][/font]

[signature]