Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flies?
does anyone one know good redfish, snook, or salt-water trout flies that are easy for beginners to tie?
and diffrent shrimp fly designs would be cool![Wink]

i've been inspired by a friend, who fly ties,and is pretty good.......
thnx,
Ty[Smile]
[signature]
hopefully tn2 will come on because I know he has some awesome saltwater flies.. especially a shrimp one.. and another one he uses to simulate a clump of seaweed..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
okay thanks [Smile]
Ty[sly]
[signature]
[cool][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hi there catking20 & welcome to the BFT and Fly Fishing forum. Need a little bit more information. Like will you be fishing the Reds in grass flats, mangroves marshes and creeks, etc. BTW this fly that I tied will work with Reds, is a Marabou Shrimp. Quite easy to tie. Here is a link to Mustad's site for this fly.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center] [url "http://www.mustad.no/video_pic/index.php"]http://www.mustad.no/video_pic/index.php[/url]
[center]
[inline "Marabou shrimp.JPG"]
[signature]
i saw the abaco shrimp, is that easily tied?
i'm getting the vice, bobbin, thread, and materials either tonight, or one day next week, whenever i have time to....
I will be fishing in mosquito lagoon whatever type of terrain is in here, i don't really know because i've only been out there once with a guide...since i am trying to find a boat of my own,Thanks,
Ty[cool]
[signature]
[left][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hey there catking20 the Abaco Shrimp is not that difficult to tie. Did you watch the video? The most difficult part of tying that I found when I first started was not the tying itself but having the right material or something similar available.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[left][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Fly Fishing salt water species is similar to fishing rivers, creeks and so on. Instead of matching the hatch in salt water you are trying to match what kind of bait fish Reds will be seeking in a given area. Here are some reference locations which might help you in Florida. BTW a Clouser Minnow would be another must. A real easy fly to tie.[/size][/#008000][/font]

[left][left][#005000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Back Country Mangroves [/font]
[/#005000]
[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Finger Mullet, Glass Minnows, Chub Minnows,[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Mud Minnows, Shrimp, Crabs[/font][/#008000]
[left][#005028][font "Comic Sans MS"]Inshore Mangroves[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"](Intercoastal, Spoil Islands)[/font]
[/#005028]
[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Finger Mullet, Whitebait, Chubs, Pinfish, Pilchards, [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Sardines, Shad, Glass Minnows, Silversides, Shrimp, Crabs[/font]
[/#008000]
[left][#005028][font "Comic Sans MS"][#005028]Bridges[/#005028][/font]
[/#005028]
[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Mullet, Whitebait, Pinfish, Shrimp, Grunts, Sardines, Shad,[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Crabs, Glass Minnows, Silversides[/font]
[/#008000]
[left][font "Comic Sans MS"][#005028]Grass Flats[/#005028][/font]

[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Shrimp, Whitebait, Pinfish, Silversides, Glass Minnows, [/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Mullet, Sardines, Pilchards[/font]
[/#008000]
[left][#005028][font "Comic Sans MS"]Passes and Inlets[/font]
[/#005028]
[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Mullet, Whitebait, Pinfish, Grunts, Shrimp, Crabs, Shad,[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Sardines, Pilchards[/font]
[/#008000]
[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Beaches[/font]
[/#008000]

[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Whitebait, Glass Minnows, Sardines, Pilchards, Pinfish[/font]
[/#008000]
[left][#005028][font "Comic Sans MS"]Boat Docks[/font]
[/#005028]
[left][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"]Whitebait, Glass Minnows, Shrimp, Sardines, Pilchards[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]Pinfish, Crabs, Grunts, Mullet[/font]
[/#008000][signature]
I did watch the video and i should be able to get the materials, since there's like 20-30 bait shops around here.........
and mosquito lagoon sounds like grass flats to me........

so basics to tie, i will need a vice, bobbin, thread and materials, sound about right?
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Well there are a few more tools & other items that you may need. However, instead of me providing a laundry list here are a couple of 101 fly tying sites that might be helpful.[/size][/#008000][/font]

[url "http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/tools.html"]http://www.angelfire.com/wa/salmonid/tools.html[/url]
[url "http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/uploads///subm/primer.htm"]http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/uploads///subm/primer.htm[/url]
[url "http://www.hookhack.com/startying.html"]http://www.hookhack.com/startying.html[/url]
[signature]
DR has given you some great sites to look at for basic tools needed to start.. especially the second one that steps you thru a few basic flies..

not knowing your budget I can only assume you are like me and most others just starting and funds are limited.. if that is the case you can pick up a basic kit at a local fly shop for between 65.00 and 75.00.. these kits contain the basic tools and some may contain the basic tools and materials for some basic flies..

if you do not have a local fly shop to go to then I would suggest you go to cabelas, orvis, bob marriotts, and bass pro web sites to name a few and look up their basic kits..

you may also want to see if there is a local fly club in your area.. a lot of times these clubs offer free casting lessons and fly tying classes... if that is not available you have a lot of very experienced tyers on this board who are very willing to answer questions and offer assistance so dont hesitate to ask (ask anyone here that is what I do best on this board :-) )..

once you get the basics down then it all becomes a matter of what you want to tie and then getting the specific materials for that fly...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
thanks for all the help, i think i'll find nice kit, but as for funds theyr'e not unlimited but i will be able to find a nice kit with my budget.........Thanks,
Ty
[signature]
bass pro and cabela's also offer free fly tying classes
[signature]
Catking20 writes - i should be able to get the materials, since there's like 20-30 bait shops around here.........
------------
[#008080][size 2]Most bait shops do not carry much in the way of fly tying materials if any. You may have to visit all twenty to get what you are looking for in half a dozen different flies.[/size][/#008080]
[#008080][size 2][/size][/#008080]
[#008080][size 2]Good luck.[/size][/#008080]
[signature]
where my friend lives about 20 mins from my house, over there he has several fly shops where he gets his stuff.......
plus there's always online shopping too......
i'm going to look at some kits today at gander mtn. so i'll se if there's anything decant, Thanks
Ty
[signature]
you may want to check basspro .. right now they are having a fathers day sale.. plus it never hurts to comparison shop.. especially on line..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
yeah i've looked at basspro's online kits, and went togander mountain today to find out they ave no kits or vise's alone..................
I'm also looking on eBay, right now my budget is tight but at the end of the month it'll be better............
Ummmmmm.........
I also need hlp with the actual fly reel, i got an out-fit as a gift and realized i might not have everything right so help on that would be good as well because i didn't understand the video that came with it.........
thanks for all your help,
Ty[Smile]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Hey there catking20 - what kind of rod [ wt, lenght & make] & reel do you have?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
all i realy know is it's a scientific angler's rod & reel outfit, it says # 6 weight, and as far as the reel i have not even a clue
as far as hieght it's 9'
[signature]
what I could find very quickly on the sa website is this.. the reel is most likely one of their concept reels (seems those are the most common one used on their combos).. if that is the case

it looks like you would want to spool on 150 - 200 yards of 20lb dacron backing.. after that you...

then attach your fly line (you said a 6wt) which I am guessing is an air cell weight forward 6wt floating line (wf-6-f)..

the next thing that goes on the rig is the leader.. and that is attached (with knot) to the fly line..

lastly .. is the tippet.. the size of which will vary dependent on the fly being use (size/type etc)..

the easier way to connect the tippet to the leader is with a loop to loop connection.. you accomplish this by tying a [url "http://orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html"]perfection loop[/url] (as an example of loops to use) to the end of the leader and one end of the tippet..

after that you make the loop to loop connection.. tie on a fly.. and have fun.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
thanks MacFly that helps out a bit since i only recieved the fly line, and no backing, tippet, leader, or flies with the package...........thanks all,
Ty
[signature]
my original shakespeare set had the reel, line and leader.. directions on the back about the nail knot.. and the pole.. so I understand exactly what you are going thru...

dont hesitate to ask questions here on this board.. there is almost always someone that can help..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]