Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
San Diego Yellowtail Bite yikes!

Hey there guys,

The San Diego yellowtail bite today was awsome with over ten party/sportboats scoring numbers on the forktails. 1 2-day, 1 1-day and a whole bunch of 3/4 day boats accounted for lots of boated fish. Some boats were getting (20-30 fish) only a forth of what they hooked up on!

Just some of the boats include the Orion, Voyager, Pacific Voyager, Missionbelle, Legend, and the Chubasco II. Sorry I couldn't get numbers on everybody.

Hope some of those yellows wake up their Clemente and Catalina cousins.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey ROn

i went on the TRACER out of PIERPOINT sat nite with chris. I noticed taht there was alot of Dines and Smelt in the water. When we got to the front side after fishing the Vees we anchored up in some weeds and picked at a few bass and sheephead. A bird school popped up in front of us and we pulled anchor and ran to it, SOLID YELLOWS ON THE FRONT SIDE!! It wasnt a huge school but it was like 75 to 100 yards of solid yellow. We didnt have any live bait (the one thing that boat doesnt seem to get when I go and both times yellows have showed [Sad]) so we drifted on them once and no biters. Then as soon as they showed they dissamappeard.

I found out that my Yellowtail pic was posted on www.Tracersportfishing.com's website. It was in March when I caught it on the Yo Yo with my Ulua at Clemente [Tongue]

Aaron
[signature]

Hi there dh_tubinaaron,

Awesome report my man! Thank you very much for a great report that gives our buddies a real feel of how it was and what to expect sometimes on the sportboats. It ain't all catchin' !Fishin' with chris too!! Dang, I gotta hook up with you guys this Summer! Did they have live squid or fresh dead?

The short barries have invaded the inner harbors from Pedro to Newport with all the live bait in the water. Anchovies just loooooooooove that cold water. I'm tubin' Cabrillo maybe Friday and goin' out on a 3/4 day boat tomorrow.

Again thanks for the report,

JapanRon
[signature]
Is cabrillo a good place to tube?? Inside the harbor right. The seals and sharks dont give you any trouble????

I want to fish there, and I want to fish H.B. Harbor for the BONE FISH!![pirate]

Tell me when u go to cabrillo again,

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there dh tubinaaron,

Oh ya, you need to go to Cabrillo. You might want to go during the weekday as the parking is avaliable just outside the parking lot area otherwise parking in the lot is 7 bucks a day from April to September. Park two cars bring in one. October to March is free on the weekdays only. Two or three of ya go and split the cost if you don't have the cash to spend.

Take the 110 south till the end then merge with Gaffey, go down a little bit toward the ocean and make a left. The next big street should be Pacific (parallel to Gaffey) and here you need to turn right onto it towards the ocean. Go down quite a ways until you see a big steep hill. Just before the hill is 22nd St. which is where you will turn left. Follow 22nd St. around until you see the Park's entrance.

Go to the very end of the parking lot out by the pier complex. The bait barges are within easy flipping distance and if you talk nice you will get live bait from the barge for all day cheap.

When the wind starts to pick up around 11am filp back to shore like heck! Otherwise you might have to join the Navy. ha ha Avoid the big sportboats busy times when getting bait and give them a wide berth. Don't block the baitbarges business or you'll never get jack from them and you'll ruin it for other tubers.

Expect WSB, barracuda, halibut, and you guys' favorite.... tom cod.?! he he he

JapanRon
[signature]
WHAT A WASTE OF A DAY!!!!!!![mad][mad]

The way to get to Cabrillo is:

Gaffey to 22nd st.

Left on 22nd

Right on Pacific

Left on 36th
We got there around 7:30 and saw that the bait barge is over 1 1/2 miles off the beach, so we didnt have any bait and we were desperate. So we decided to fish the Pt. Fermin Kelp. That was our first mistake. We launched after a set came in because it was flat. We got about 25 yds out and a swell came up and broke on top of me, on top of Chris and flipped Joe a couple of times and he lost his new Abu Garcia rod and Corsair reel (his only setup with him).

So having water in our waders at 8:00 in the morning and soaking wet and Joe not having a rod sucked.

We decided to stick it out and fish the bay because it couldnt get any worst...

I caught a short sandie right off the bat on a plastic, then a croaker. We made our way towards the bait barge and I had this stupid f****** seal follow me around.

We finally got to the bait barge after kicking for over an hour and a half (according to sammy on the barge who was timing us) and got bait for free from him because it was such a long kick to get out there, and because he knew us from the boat.

Then we start heading back and the wind started to blow and it is like 12:00 and the current starts to rip. Joe fell behind and Chris and I kept going. Before we know it Joe is half a mile back at least and Chris and I tie up to a bouy to wait for him.

Next thing we know he is getting a ride from a private boater coming back from CAT because the current was soo strong where he was he wasnt going anywhere when he kicked.

That guy had like a 40lbs + WSB that he caught at the Vees.

Then Joe caught a legal bass on a raw shrimp and I had some good halibut bites on teh horse chovies and I caught a 11 in bass.

Then we finally made it to dry land after kicking for like 6 hours and it was 3:30 by the time we made it back in.

I dont think Ill fish there for a while!!!![mad]

Aaron

Hey there dh tubinaaron,

Sorry to hear of the disaster. Cabrillo ain't quite like fishin' off Mother's Beach that's for sure.

Firstly, Yes there's quite a few different ways to get to the entrance of Cabrillo Park. Actually, I usually just do Pacific to the steep hill and turn left!

Secondly, The bait barges tend to move around the general area they are normally stationed, as you well know being on the boats. Sometimes they are less than 20 minutes kick way from the public pier early in the morning with no wind, current, etc. You guys got more guts than me to try a mile and a half. A sabiki rig might have taken care of the bait problem, that I don't know.

Thirdly, the wind does not usually start to kick before around 11am, as I mentioned, and frankly I am just happy and relieved to have you making this report with your skin. I and many other tube veterans are leary of trying the outside around Point Firmin and or the jetty wall with or without buddies, especially with the wind and weather an unknown factor.

In addition, Super Bummer on the tackle. All my stuff including net, gaff, and rods that I regularly fish with on the boats or float tube always have their 6 inch bungie cord attached so that everything is secure to the tube before getting in or out of the water.

Well, a few fish were caught and when the water warms, weather settles Cabrillo will be great place to fish, especially with the bait barges there. In my 45+ years of fishin', experiences such as yours tells me sometimes ya just gotta scrap the launch and head for safer waters.

You guys gonna be tubin' tomorrow? I was going to Cabrillo but now the decision is NOT ON MY LIFE. I think I'll try Mother's Beach around 9 or 10am just to check things out.

Again, dh guys Chris, Joe and Aaron, Whew! you're safe and sound. Oh ya, and real tired to I guess.......

JapanRon
[signature]
Well I hope you did good at Mothers Beach today. The dh_tubin crew couldnt go out today because of MOTHERS DAY[Tongue], but we have decided that next year when we all get our liscencses we are going to all get KAYAKS!![cool] Ill still tube but ocean wise I'll Kayak it.

We gotta hook up sometime and fish. You still havent answered my question on what you caught on the VICTORY!!!!!

I was going to work yesterday but between the wind factor and not wanting to bug my Mom at 4:00 am I decided to go tubin.

Lets try Huntington Harbor next time, we need to get a bunch of people to go and tube there.

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there dh tubinaaron,

Boy I really felt bad about your experience at Cabrillo. I should have gone along and we wouldn't have got our fins wet there cause this old man would have grabbed your fins and headed for the car. ha ha

On the Victory, well I caught four legal bass but gave them away as soon as I got them. I had three short halibut. Missed one really nice butt. I don't keep fish, so once people know that and usually I'm willing to give fish away they are quick to take them off my hands. Really handy during a hot plastics bass bite. he he he

Just so you don't feel too bad, even veterans don't go out when the conditions were as they were. Some guys would not even take kayaks! For Real!

I to am interested in a kayak, I think the OceanKayak, Caper is the ride I would like but it's pretty new right now so there's not many used ones.

Couldn't go to Mother's as company came to visit unexpectedly. Say hi to the guys. I gotta get out Tuesday on the Victory, going Wednesday on the Pierpoint. Gotta do my daily update now.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey Ron

What are you doing Memorial Day Weekend??

Im planning on working all that weekend and on Monday.

You should come out sometime then or even this weekend. I have to make $200 for my overnight trip on the Chubasco III so I have to work alot up until then.

I also want to buy a lighter weight jig stick and a Newell 338 or a 332 for it so I have my work cut out for me.

Know anyone that wants to sell a 9' SEEKEr or CALSTAR Jigstick??? I dont want the orange ones I want the black ones.

Come fish the Victory more often.

Oh Ya, did the person in the office give you choice spot?

Aaron
[signature]

Hey dh tubinaaron,

I don't fish weekends so....sorry. You bet. I was there at dark-thirty and first so, all went as it should. I'm going out on the Victory again tomorrow too. Will give you a report if I'm not too tired, as I going out on the Pierpoint Wednesday too. And Thursday well.... I may go down further south.

Fished today at 72nd street for our perch friends and a couple of hits on the Croc!

Did you read my Victory 5/8 report?

Work hard, make money, and fish!

JapanRon
[signature]
What about Memorial Day????

I WANT TO GO TO DIEGO SO BAD FOR THE YELLOWS!!!!![Sad][Sad][Sad][Sad]

Damn SCHOOL![mad]

Aaron
[signature]