Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float Tube Newbie

Hello.
I am in the market for a float tube, and wanted to ask the opinions of others. I have used a friends float tube before, and i do own a water skeeter pontoon boat.

Let me start off by saying i`m a big guy (6 foot 240). I use my pontoon boat, but find it too difficult to bring into the back country to fish remote lakes. I have tried a friends float tube. It was a donut type. Overall I found it comfy, but did not like how I was so close to the water. It was hard on the shoulders having to keep my arms up so high. Another thing I found (not related the float tube). Is that after awhile in the water, it seemed like the flippers were getting WAY to tight on my waders and cutting off circulation. Is this a common problem?

I have been researching and seem to like the outcast prowler and Water Skeeter day tripper. Pricey, though. Looking for thoughts and opinions. Also, any flippers are better then other and would be more comfortable.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you check back through the archives, you will find a lot of other first timer questions that are pretty similar to yours. We were all there once.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, many of us "regulars" are of the hefty persuasion...well over 6 feet tall and well over 200 pounds. So, we understand the need to have plenty of floatation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The current most popular tubes are Outcast FishCat 4...smallest of the group...ODC 420...larger than the FC4, but smaller than the Outcast Fat Cats. The general consensus is that the H3 Freestyle is the Cadillac of the group, but is also among the priciest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Very few experienced tubers recommend the Day Trippers. They are complicated and the center of gravity is too high. Also catch the wind a lot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The issue of fins is important. You should get your waders, add a pair or two of socks and then try on fins. Do not buy a pair of fins...cheap...and then try to stuff too much into them. You will get foot constriction and cramps and you will have cold feet no matter how many pairs of socks you wear.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Very few sincere tubers elect the round tubes these days. You sit too low in the water and they are a bear to get in and out of. Take a test ride in a V shaped tube, with high seating, and you will be sold.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks, TubeDude.

Thanks for the tip on the Daytripper. I like the outcast fishcat series..but I think the weight capacity is 250 lbs...i'd be pushing more then that with my gear. And the H3, I cant seem to find it in canada.
[signature]
here is a link to the north fork outdoors site.. hope this helps..

[url "http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2008webcatalog/2008pg35.html"]North Fork Outdoors[/url]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Thanks, Mac. Now I need to see what the charge is to ship to canada. The H3 looks great. Any other advantages other then the weight capacity to the high end outcast series?
[signature]
Well if the rumors are true than the biggest is the cat ihas a PVC bladders, it has Urathene. I own an old SFC that I purchased used for my wife and have only floated it once my self and it is a good boat. How ever I really do love my H3. Some have issues with the seat, maybe I am just not experienced enough or numb form the waist down but it doesn't bother me.

Edited for typing slower than I think.
[signature]
Thanks Majja. Please forgive my ignorance, what is better about PVC. I looked at the specs and the outcast rigs are urethane.
[signature]
your welcome.. just trying to help.. as for as your other question.. I dont own an h3.. yet.. but there are several on this board who do and I am sure they will be more than willing to answer all of your questions..

.. MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Majja got it backwards. Outcast now have PVC bladders (meaning made over seas)
Urethane is the thing you WANT and is all of the NFO boats and older outcast.
Think of it this way...PVC is those cheap sandwich bags you buy. It stretches and thin which means it will spring a leak at some time.
Urethane is those FREEZER bags. Seams welded, doesn't stretch (or shrink as much) and Urethane is LIGHTER, and can hold more air which means to you a better payload. That is why you see NFO boats with such a high weight capacity.
To recap: Urethane bladder GOOD, PVC bladder not so good[Wink]
BUT, if it says outer cover is PVC, that is GOOD!
[signature]
Thanks, Flygodess. The Description says:

"5 YEAR WARRANTY 14 MIL. URETHANE AND SEWN SEAMS"

So I think it is OK.
[signature]
NO it is the other way around PVC is not as good as urethane. The rumor is that SFC as gone to PVC, down at my local Cabela's the specs list the bladders as PVC but there website list's it as urethane. The Urethane does not stretch as much and is lighter and will last longer. Sorry if I was miss leading.
[signature]
Thanks for translating what I said. I do not type as fast as I can talk or think. heheh

I made the corrections once again thanks for covering me on the Joni. We need to go fishing again some time.
[signature]
I agree, the sooner the better[Image: bobwink.gif]
[signature]
Hi, Just want to make sure on this. I checked cabellas and the description says "Durable 600-denier PVC pontoons". When I go to compare the pontoons, the bladder is listed as Urethane (as is on the outcast web site). It says the regular fish cat is PVC, but the others are urethane....Can someone clear this up?
[signature]
The best scenario is Urethane bladder with a PVC coating.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Apples and oranges. Gotta be confusing for a newbie.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The outer cover of the H3 is HARD PVC...to help protect the cover from scrapes and punctures, and is easier to keep clean. The air bladder...inside...is urethane.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Fat Cats used to have urethane bladders...until the model year change for 2008. Now they are PVC (vinyl) bladders...even though they still list urethane on their websites. FALSE ADVERTISING..[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]All that being said, I have owned the H3 and fished it thoroughly for 6 months. I like the quality construction and the the high floatation for my large body...over 6'3" and two hundred and PLENTY pounds. Pocket size and space good. No apron standard...had to make one. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There were two main "issues" I had that eventually caused me to go back to the Super Fat Cat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. was the seat. I tried every possible permutation of adjustments in air pressure and strap adjustments but could never fish comfortably in the H3 for more than an hour without back ache and butt cramps. It was the same for my wife (TubeBabe). We both struggled with the comfort factor. And, since going back to the Fat Cats, we can fish all day without a bit of problem in comfort. That is always an idividual matter, but it is real to us. And, I am no rookie at tubing. I know how to make adjustments when needed. No matter what we tried, it was just never as comfortable as what we were used to with the Fat Cats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. The elongated front pontoons. They are great for stability but create problems when trying to control or net large fish...especially those with spines...like catfish, walleye or bass. You need a longer handled net and the fish can tangle more easily...or puncture the air chambers with teeth or spines. I lost a few fish while fighting those pontoons. The shortened front on the Fat Cats are much better for anglers who catch larger fish...with spines. The longer pontoons are great for running in moving water, but I fish only stillwater.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]FINALLY...a lot is said about "offshore" manufacture, urethane vs PVC, safety, etc. I am as patriotic as anyone and believe in buying USA made products. However, "American Made" is not always a good thing. We make bad stuff too. And, if I cannot find what I want or need in a domestic product, I will buy something made elsewhere. Fat Cats ARE now made in China. Have been for years, and they are still considered to be a quality standard in the industry. They have a good warranty and the companies that sell them back them up. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Safety is an important concern. But...and this is a big BUT...I have heard of no tuber ever drowning or even being at risk of drowning while fishing from any Outcast tube. They do not come apart and the bladders to not explode while you are fishing. Sure, if you overinflate, you can have failure. You can also poke holes in them with knives, gaffs or fish spines. Same as with any tube. Any tube with an air bladder is subject to the same potential damage factors...regardless of where it is made. That is why you should always have a PFD handy. Accidents can happen...to anybody.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry, Joni. I know you have a good working relationship with Dave Scadden, and he gives you a healthy "professional" discount for saying nice things about his craft. And, he does have a lot of experience in the industry and DOES make quality products. He is mighty proud of them too, and sets his prices accordingly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, my knowledge of Dave goes back MANY years, and I have some personal problems with his ethics and business practices. We both know why. I played the game with him to get a discount myself, on the two H3s I bought from him. But, I would never buy anything else from him, and I have since sold the H3s...for the reasons I outlined.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got a good deal on a couple of Fat Cats online. They were the 2007 models, which still had the urethane bladders. But, I would have probably bought them even if they didn't. After over 50 years of tubing...all waters, all tackle, all species...I have a good idea of what works for me. No need to spend too much for an American made product that does not suit me as well.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now...if that doesn't mess you up, nothing will.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow, tubedude. Thanks sooo much for taking the time to put this answer together.

Issue #1 would drive me nuts. I suffer from back pain all the time, If this was an issue for me, I would be ticked off. I am not quiteas tall, but heavy. The lakes I fish are not car accessable. I bring my ATV, and the lakes are 20 - 30 miles from the car. So when im at the lake...i'm there for the day. The tube NEEDS to be 100% comfortable.

Issue #2 - I noticed this too, and thought it might be an issue, being that I'm clumsy.

Now, anyone know the difference between the Super Fish Cat and the Outcast prowler? Prowler has higher weigh capacity (325 vs 300), Larger Size (50x64 vs 45x64) and seems to have thicker outer fabric as well. The price tag is hefty. I am leaning towards it, as I NEVER travel light. As it is I dont know if I will fit all my gear even on the prowler.

Thanks All!! This is becoming float tube 101. [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The Fish Cat Deluxe is exactly the same as the FC4, but with inflatable seats. Not big enough for a really big tuber. The Prowler is a bigger and better craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have solved the backrest problem on modern float tubes by using an "extension". You will see these on a lot of the BFT pics, for ours and others' tubes. We just run PVC shafts down each side of the back rest, and a cross piece at the desired height....with some foam noodle for cushion and extra support. Here are a couple of pics...one with the SFC and the other with the H3.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow!! Even more impressive is the rod/net/plier/etc holders! Do you have any more pics on how that was constructed, and held onto the craft! That looks mean!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The "Utility Rack" is one of the goodies I keep changing around, and I have never posted a complete pictorial "How To" on it. But, here is a labeled pic of the different elements on the current model I am using, and a couple of other pics that should help show what I used and how I used it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mainly, I use 1" PVC T's and Crosses...and carve out the grooves and holes with a 1/2" rotary sanding drum on a Dremel tool. You need to custom shape each one, to fit the item you plan to use it for.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is held onto the tube with six inch loops of nylon rope, attached to the D rings on the outside of the side pockets. You measure the spacing for the two "stabilizer" lengths of PVC to coincide with the spacing of the D rings. Then you slip the two stabilizer bars down through the loops. You also need to attach some bungee cord on the bottom of the two stabilizer bars, with clips to attach to the D rings under the tube (pack strap connectors) to hold the rod rack and tool rack steady.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know if you have any unanswered questions when you get ready to trick out your ride. I have lots of pics I have not posted.[/#0000ff]
[signature]