Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Can't Set the Hook
I have been catfishing on our small lake for many years but have sinced started to fish from shore on the River. I use chicken livers and they seem to be working really well for Channel Catfish. The only problem is I use I'm going through an entire tub of livers and only bringing in two or three catfish. Usually I start to notice I'm getting a bite before the bell rings(I use a rod holder and bell) because my line gets tight and the rod will start to dip. I will pick up the rod and wait for a strong bite or tug but everytime I set the hook, nothing, and usually there is no Liver left. If there is Iiver left I'll adjust it, cast it out and the same thing will happen until the liver is gone. It's very frustrating, any suggestions? Both me and my friend are using different size hooks, we mix it up between drift fishing and bottom fishing also. PLEASE HELP!! At our lake they just take the bait and run...it' so easy....I don't want to give up on river fishing.
[signature]
You may want to try using a circle hook. They say you do not have to set the hook at all. In fact you are not suppose to set the hook...it sets itself. Get a bite, reel it in.

I have not tried them, but it may be worth a try. I have been fishing the Columbia River from the shore and based on how many crawlers I lose I must be missing bites and have been thinking I should try them also.

Good luck to you and let me know if you find a good solution to our shared challenge.
[signature]
Yeah I am using circle hooks actually, I don't remember off hand what size it is. But it is almost like they are eating it around the hook. This may not be right but my buddy and I think that it is really small fish and maybe our hooks or our bait is too big, but I don't know.
[signature]
take the pole off the pole holder and set aside the bell and just wind your line in just enought to make it tight. Wait for the tug and quickly set the hook. If you set the hook to late it will miss. You have to set it almost as soon as it touches the bait.
[signature]
i thought you weren't supposed to set the hook when you use circle hook. just reel in your line slowly and let it set itself. never used them myself though, just read up on them before.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/sg042
[signature]
I don't know about fishing for cats in a river. But I believe they are finiky feeders. Meaning, if they feel the tug of a line they will drop the bait. They usually lip their bait then swim a ways before munching down. So I fish them with an open bail with a rubberband holding the line on the handle. When the cat takes the bait he pulls the line out of the rubberband and runs with it. Then you flip the bail and set the hook.

Tubedude is the one who showed this to me. He may know more about the rivers. Hope this helps.
[signature]
I agree circle hook all the way, I use gamakatsu 3/0 octopus circle, and the work great. Apply slow steady pressure while reeling after a bite, don't set the hook or you will pull it out of the fish's mouth.
[signature]
I did not see he was using circle hooks. Just let it set and let them run with it. It should just hook as soon as they run with it.
[signature]
If the fish are able to spit your hook then they are feeling the weight on the line.

Switch over to a sliding sinker on the line. Make sure it is heavy enough to hold position for the current that you are fishing in the river or stream.

2nd point to remember.

Your hook may be to big. Drop down to a 2/0 Circle hook, Octopus or a Kahle hook. These are most effective for Catfshing. I personnally prefer the Octopus because it turns itself into a true locking position.[cool]
[signature]
Try out Indochina method. Surely you will not miss it.
Let it hook itself.
[url "http://thefishhook.blogspot.com/2009/04/catfish-tips.html"]http://thefishhook.blogspot.com/...04/catfish-tips.html[/url]
[signature]