Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th of July fly
[center][#005000][size 2][Image: happy.gif]If you are seeking fish that are patriotic then you need to use this fly on the fourth.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#005000]
[center][inline rwb.bmp]
[signature]
I love the blue hook accent.. [sly].. now is this your creation there DR??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][#004080][Image: happy.gif]Sorry to report, no. But this is how it works. Wave a small American flag over the water that you want to fish. If any fishys come by and give a fin salute then you will know that your fly will work. LOL[Image: bobwink.gif][/#004080]
[signature]
[ul][li]Dude Just beautiful, and my style of fly! I got to tie me up some, you just never know. After night before last, I have never used a San Juan worm before, but I did, and I was the only one catching fish...WAHOO! They do work![/li][/ul]
[signature]
[#005000][size 2][Image: happy.gif]I keep forgetting that I have tied up several worms which I always have with me. Perhaps that is one diSadvantage of using drys most of the time. Oh yea I know that most of the fish feed below the surface but I just love seeing them grab my fly. [/size][/#005000]
[center][#005000][size 2][Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#005000]
[#005000][size 2]BTW how did you fish the worm?[/size][/#005000]
[center][#005000][size 2][/size][/#005000]
[left]
[left]
[signature]
what ya gonna do to tie those up.. maybe the fishies on the Elk River will be feeling patriotic.. hehehe

MacFly
[signature]
now that is a good start to a great fish story.. LOL..

.. one time on the river I waved an American flag over the water and had lots of fishies break the waters surface and waved a fin back at me.. sooo I tried this here new fly I heard about.. and.............................................

MacFly [sly]
[signature]
Attached is a pic. of another holiday tie. A little more difficult pattern.
[signature]
now that is an awesome looking fly.. it that your tie?

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[#000000][size 4]No, not my tie.[/size][/#000000]
[size 4]My flies are not near that complicated. That fly far exceeds my tying desires and skills.[/size]
[size 4][/size]
[size 4][/size]
[signature]
I was gonna say that one day I might attempt something like that.. but not for a long long long long while..

even if it is not yours.. that is a beautiful fly.. I wonder if our own FG would or has ever tye a fly like that..??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I know the Stars are a guinea feather. I would love to tie Salmon flies like that. I just have to get the right feathers to marry them together. A good friend does tie them. I have a red and a white Turkey feather that I think would marry together. Get two pieces identical and run your thumb down to combine them. He said with good feathers it really isn't that hard

Dry Rod. I had a 6' mono furled leader with a ring on the end. I took 4 feet of 4 lb fluoro and threaded through the loop and used a surgeon's loop to connect (like the eye of a hook) one side being 1 foot long the other 3 feet long. I attached a red worm to the longer then about 8" up I attache 3 "BB" size split shot. I attached a tan worm to the one foot side.
Then I attached a "Thingamabobber" indicator so that the overall length to fly was 7 1/2 feet (so about 1 1/2 foot from line connection).
Flipped it out and fished the shore line adding a little more distance each roll. The hook ups happened about 30' out on the seam of a riff.
The rivers may be blown but the fish are still there, just got to look for the fast to slow area, where the fish just sit with their mouth open.
With the river bottom being stirred up, a worm made sense.
[signature]
..and they call her Fly Goddess (echo the last part..[sly] like the old Flipper song...I think)...heheheh

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Thanks FGD. Perhaps after reading your description a couple more times I might have a mental pictures of your set up. BTW what is the purpose of the ring?[/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][Image: dumb.gif][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Is that furled leader one you made or one from Feather-craft.

How do you like the thingamabobber. Were you using a rubber band with it to prevent it from slipping up the leader?
[signature]
Another beauty of the furled leader, no slip of the thingamabobber.
They lock it in perfect, but push on one end of the line and they slide to where ever you want then stay.

Dry Rod, you don't need the ring, infact in the beginning I was using a shorb loop at both ends. When I found these rings ( and a 2mm is about the size of a #14 hook eye and 3mm a #4), they seemed like a very easy answer to the pain in the hinde end tippet end. It is so hard to stick the knit picker between the furl for the shorb loop at the small end, butt end, no problem.

Another advantage to the ring is, the tippet doesn't cut into the thread or, an accidental cut while trying to remove tippet.

Dry Rod, I am trying to send you a PM but when I put the cursor on pribvate message for you, a blue line goes across and I can't click on the PM button, so pm me or e-mail me if you would please.
THANKS
[signature]
FG writes: Another beauty of the furled leader, no slip of the thingamabobber.
---------------
[#4040ff]I thought that might be the case.[/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[signature]