Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Reels
I was wondering what is everyones favorite reel? I personally like the galvan Torque.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hi there Everet14 - I have several Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor reels, one Orvis CFO Disc Drag reel, an old S&A reel and some off brand reels. While the CFO is a real fine reel I really don't have a favorite. They all do the job well of holding my line.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Vosseler RCL. No drag, just palm it. They are great reels!
But if I had the money I would say a Vom Hoffe.
[signature]
since I only have two reels I can safely say that my favorite is my Orvis Rocky Mountain Turbine ... on one spool I have a wf-f line... and on the spare spool I have a type II sinking line..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Yeah, just about any reel will work for stream fishing. I forget the name of my reel (shows you how much I pay attention to it) that is made out of cast carbon fiber and has a disk drag. I lay the reel down in the water, rocks mud etc. a fair amount and the thing keeps working. Looks beat up but a well used reel should look beat up. Besides it fits my looks.... beat up and scruffy.

I got it because it was light and one of the cheapest in the fly shop.
[signature]
I have several of the Pflueger Medalists as well as different models of the Okumas. The Okuma Integrity seems to be my favorite in the 10/11 weight for heavier ocean fishing and the Helios 8/9 for medium ocean fishing. The Vashon 3/4 is ideal for all the smaller stuff.[cool]

I still have my eye on a Van Staal.[blush]
[signature]
Favorite reels. Hmmmmmm?

Ya know, I don't pay much attention to the reels. Their primary function is to store the line out of the way. So I would say, for any particular person, the best reel is the one they're most comfortable with.

If I had to pick a favorite, though, it would have to be either of the Winstons. But that's more from personal feeling than any particular characteristics. Plus they're gorgeous: hand crafted from solid bar stock, each with an extra spool, in wooden presentation boxes.

People say I'm nuts to fish with them. But I'm a user, not a collector.

Brook
http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
Them HARDY reels are nice. True enough that a reel is a place to keep your line, but there are times you do need a well made reel and times that the drag means everything.
[signature]
No question about that, Flygoddess. And the one negative about the Winstons is that they don't have adjustible drags.

But I only use them on our streams, for trout and smallmouth, so it's not a big deal. I'd never consider them for, say, steelhead or other tough fish that you have to play from the reel.

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]
Lordy, even those small streams! I took my 2wt up to a local river and hooked a nice 19" brown. He headed west with me running the bank right behind him. I have the Older Battenkill LA I and the drag left me hand free to climb up the bank and push branches out of the way.

My luck was my Brother was way down stream fishing an saw and heard me screaming....LOOK OUT! so he netted him[cool]
[signature]