Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back from Canada
Finally recovering from my trip to Armstrong Station, Ontario.. I'm definitely not used to fishing this hard up north..

Ice out was real late up there this year.. Plus it was cold (mid 50s) and rained every day.. We still caught fish, but no where near the numbers we usually catch.. Over the five days up there only one fish out of all that we caught and cleaned had any food at all in her stomach.. And no eggs anywhere.. Looks like we caught the fish right after spawn..

We did get up in to lakes that we never get to fish because the water was so high.. About 3 feet above last year.. We were able to scrape over rocks that are normally a foot or more above water.. That lake was choice for northern.. But they were almost all defensive strikes rather then feeding strikes.. Same for the walleye I would guess..

Last day, last afternoon, the fish finally turned on.. But we were so tired it was hard to enjoy it.. It seems to take a lot more energy to fish for fish that aren't really biting, in wind, in rain, and with my dad that still thinks he's fishing for blue gills Smile

Our best spots were when the wind was up and we worked the back side of islands where the whipped up waves/current eddied around the edges of the islands..

Anyway, another awesome trip, limit of fish brought home for the wife, and already reserved dates for next year..

Dad with his first every Wally

[Image: 2598225336_d26bdecc5c.jpg]
[signature]
Beautiful scenery, at least you had a good time with your Dad. What was the biggest Walleye ? Did you catch any Pike ?
[signature]
Thanks for the report! I'll ask too, did you catch any northerns?
[signature]
In Shangrila lake we caught quite a few northerns.. Most were in the 16 to 24 inch range, but we were targeting walleyes so we didn't expect to get big ones.. I know that a couple of the other guys were going after some pike with 5 of diamonds spoons and they were hitting in the 30 to 36 inch range..

These lakes aren't known for "huge" pike, but I know they are in there.. Last year we had a 45" plus hooked up until Dave hit his drag the wrong direction.. oops

You can see the lakes we fishing on Google Earth at 50.886831 -88.397366 and you can see a picture of the cabin we stay in.. Just waiting for Google to accept more of my pictures Smile If you go south east from the cabin / main island the gap to the lake that heads due west is called moose crossing.. Best walleye fishing is almost always there.. Lots of current and the channel goes from 30 feet up to about 12 feet and you can just kill them there..

If you go northwest from the cabin/island you'll see a very narrow channel that goes to a small lake north of the channel.. That's Shangrila and you can only get to that lake when the water is "high".. Just packed with Northern up there.. Caught more northern than walleye up there..
[signature]