Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No not me
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I have never caught one of these fish - have you? If so where were you fishing? Oh yea what species is it?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=37523]

[signature]
is that a bull trout??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]They look similar, but no.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
hmm then my next guess.. since I have never seen or caught one is a dolly varden??

MacFly [fishin]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]Yup - that is correct. But you didn't give me a chance to provide you with some clues. Like what was the name of the 1964 Broadway show starring Carol Channing. Next would be Hello Dolly. Needless to say that it is too damn hot outside so I have a lot of time on my hands. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Did you see the news tonight about the 700 wild fires that have been started in California due to lighting strikes?[/size][/#008000][/font] [Image: bobmad.gif]
[signature]
I almost started my last post with Hellloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Dddoooollllyyyyy.. hehehe but was not real sure I was right.. didnt Pearl Bailey also play in that role???

did not see the news but with this weather I am not surprised.. it has been so hot and dry.. all it needs is one little spark..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
its amazing the variety of fish in the waters we fish.. and three that are sooooooooo close in appearance.. amazing.. Sad part we read today is that a species here or there has been become extinct in waters where they once thrived..

MacFly...[cool]
[signature]
Dryrod,

Thanks for that. That is the first discription I have seen telling that kind of difference between true trout and Char (and now the link at the bottom of my post here) Most just say that Char are more closely related to Altantic salmon and that trout are more related to Pacific Salmon.

I noticed that the discription does not list the [#0000ff]Brook Trout[/#0000ff] as part of that Char subgroup [#0000ff]but it is[/#0000ff]. At least a number of sites say that such as this National Parks Service webpage:

[url "http://www.nps.gov/shen/naturescience/brook-trout.htm"]http://www.nps.gov/shen/naturescience/brook-trout.htm[/url]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Good obseravation Scruffy_Fly. There is so much to learn about the trout family. Don't know if I can cover them all in my life time. Heck I'm still trying to figure out what a young Alper looks like. Thanks for the input to this subject.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I was going to say the brookie also in that class, but also LAKERS.
Watched a show tonight that said if the anal fin is curved it is female .
At least on Brook Trout, I wonder if the cousins are the same.
[signature]
Just this last week and previous weekend I was poking around on the internet looking for information defining the differences betwen trout and char. So the fact that Dolly Varden, Bull trout and Lake Trout are all of the same subgroup was some what fresh in my mind.

I am working on put pictures and discriptions up on a website about the various cold water sport fish in Colorado of interest to the fly fisherman.
[signature]
but you live in Ca now.. lol.. Id love to see a site like that for the species in our area..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
the site I used as my crib sheet for the guesses on species listed the lakers, bull, dolly, and several others it was some short but interesting reading...

MacFly
[signature]