Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BAD CORK
I love my Hubby...I have a 10' 5 wt TFO that I love to play around with, but as with allot of the less expensive rods, the cork is terrible.

Well, the cork on the TFO was pitted so bad was looking like Swiss Cheese. The Hubby has been using Rattan allot lately, so I asked if he could fix the cork. The problem is, it is still attached to the rod.
He figured out a jig to hold it while he sanded it down.

Just gave it to me finished tonight.....SWEET! It feels great!

[inline "P7010006 400.jpg"]

[inline "P7010004 400.jpg"]
[signature]
Hey Joni,
Great idea, looks great.

I have a few questions: leaving the cork on the rod, it looks like Alan sanded down the center portion of the cork to accomodate the thickness of the rattan/wicker.

What configuration does the rattan come in, (round, flat)?

How are the ends of the rattan finished, like the wraps on a line guide?

What was used to finish the material?

I hope that this doesn't drive you to making another video. lol
[signature]
DR wrote -
I hope that this doesn't drive you to making another video. lol
-----------------
[#0000ff]Yeah, Really.......................but..................... it would be a cool video to watch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote Saberfish]Hey Joni,
Great idea, looks great.

I have a few questions: leaving the cork on the rod, it looks like Alan sanded down the center portion of the cork to accomodate the thickness of the rattan/wicker.

What configuration does the rattan come in, (round, flat)?

How are the ends of the rattan finished, like the wraps on a line guide?

What was used to finish the material?

I hope that this doesn't drive you to making another video. lol[/quote]
The grip was sanded down in the middle. The two outside cork rings were not touched.
Mojo here-The rattan is 2.5mm rattan. Rounded on the outside and flat on the inside. It's just thin cane strips. It's the same color as bamboo. I just flamed it. You are correct that the beginning and end wrap is kind of like wrapping thread on guides. You do have to inlet the start and end and glue it all down. Black thread between the rattan and 4 coats of marine spar varnish Next build I do will be spar varnish on the guide threads and the whole rod dipped. Makes for an interesting custom rod.
[signature]
[Image: dumb.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I must be having another senior for I don't recall saying:[/size][/#008000][/font]
DR wrote - I hope that this doesn't drive you to making another video. lol
[signature]
OH Great!! No you are making me older because I am the one having a senior moment.

I am not used to someone else posting.
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]That's okay Scruffy_Fly as seniors we have an excuse. It is the young studs that will feel embarrassed when they goof.[Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Nice work as usual. Perhaps there is another family business about to be launched. [Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][fishin]
[signature]