Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook Stuck.
Hey everyone,

Pretty new to fishing. Been mostly catching bass though, so this thread seemed appropriate. The problem that I'm having is that the bass are swallowing the entire hook, and I'm finding it impossible to release them. I have a pilers, but the hook is so deep that even that doesn't help much. Is there a way to place the hook in the bait that will make it easier to release the fish? Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Happy Fishing! [fishon]
[signature]
Set the hook as soon as you detect a bite, and keep a close eye on your line for bites. If a fish swallows the whole hook just cut the line and release the fish. They have a better chance of survival by cutting the line then removing the hook. Also use artifical baits when bassin.
[signature]
My guess is that you are using live bait. With live bait, most people will hook a fish deeper than with artificials. If that is the case, use Circle hooks instead of regular. With the Circle hook, you will usually hook the fish in the side of the jaw.

There is also a hook removal method that is illustrated on the In-Fisherman website for deeply hooked fish. Check that out also.

I've been reading up on the circle hooks, are there any draw-backs to them?

Also, I've been using artificial. Senkos.
[signature]
On senkos I have to really watch my line sometimes. I will cast out and let the slack lay on top of the water so the senko can 'free fall'. If I get a bite on the sink I can always see it in the line thats on the surface. However, if they aren't picky I will let it sink with a taut line and put my finger under the line to feel bites.
What kind of hook are you using?
[signature]
What i use to do is using a hook like question mark(?) with fiber thread. I supposed to use earthworms to catch the fishes and if it stuck in the mouth of the fish while eating the earthworm then the thread will be weighted and we can come to know whether the fish is eating and suddenly we will pull the thread and the hook will get stuck to the fish mouth.
---------------------------------------
Angel

Addiction Recovery Florida

[url "http://www.addictionrecoveryflorida"][/url][url "http://Addiction%20Recovery%20%20Florida"]Addiction Recovery Florida[/url]
[signature]
I've got a "bass/worm assortment" of matzuo sickles. They go from 1/0-4/0. I'd say I probably mostly use 3/0. Should I use a smaller hook?
[signature]
always set the hook when you see the bite - whenever you're fishing for species you know you'll catch and release. other things that can help are barbless hooks and a good pair of hook cutters with some length in the nose. most fish will do just fine if you cut the hook and have been careful in handling them so the hook hasn't been tearing up their insides - even when gut-hooked. by clipping the hook the remaining portion will work itself free or simply rust and deteriorate away in time. if it's really deep or twisted just cut the line as close as you can to the hook. it will deteriorate fairly rapidly.

if you don't want to buy barbless hooks you can use heat shrink tubing to cover those barbs temporarily or even use pliers to flatten the barbs.

I still have to watch closely whenever I'm using certain techniques like carolina rigs - don't want those bass getting gut-hooked. g'luck, buddy!
[signature]
if you are using a senko, try a 3/0 octopus circle hook, and wacky rig the senko (fold it in half and put the hook through the middle of the bait once. Do not set the hook with a circle, you will pull it out of the fish's mouth, just apply steady slow pressure when you feel a fish hit. This will drastically reduce your deep hooksets...

Here is a pic...

[inline wacky-rigged-senko.jpg]
[signature]