Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Lower Provo River (07/07/08)
First of all, if someone thinks I'm posting too many dinky reports, feel free to tell me to settle down a bit. There just isn't as much action on this section as the general fishing section.

So I hear you can catch browns in the Provo river in the middle of town, but I didn't really believe it. From the same person, I hear the fish get pretty large in that stretch. I set out this past weekend to really check it out and ran into two guys who had each caught fish. One on worms, the other on a royal wulff. So I explored and found a nice pool with biting browns in the most unlikely of places. Oddly enough, though it's a high traffic spot, no one seems to fish there. I checked the proclamation I couldn't see why it wouldn't be legal, so I started casting dries and nymphs and had a few hard strikes, but only landed one 9"er (see picture below), as the rest kept throwing the hook. Most were hitting a #12 bead head prince nymph, but a few snapped at the dry hopper.

So after getting frustrated at not being able to land any big fish, I went back tonight and tried it again. I showed up about 8:15 pm and headed back about 9:15, when it was getting too dark to see a fly. Fish were rising and caddis were swarming. I tried casting caddis, but i just couldn't see them on the water, because of the reflection of the sky. The only thing I could see 20 feet out was a #14 queen ant with a big hot pink parachute (pink contrasts the white sky reflection and white bubbles). I tied the same prince about 3 feet below and started casting. I got one hit on the nymph for every 4 casts or so. After snagging the prince, I tied a beaten up bead head hare's ear, and they hit that too. I even had two fish hit the ant. One took it hard, then I set the hook, and he yanked back hard enough to snap the 3x tippet. I guess I need to be more careful about my knots. Anyway, over the hour I hooked about 8 fish, but I only landed 3. They were about 10-15" and fought hard. Didn't have the digital camera, so the pictures are on my cell phone.

What a blast! I drive 5 minutes from my apartment and fish for an hour and land 3 browns. I gotta do this more often. I hope more people don't discover the nice little spots in town, so they don't end up like the community ponds often are (trash, trash, and lots of people). I'll refrain from listing the exact spot, but if you want to know where, just shoot me a PM.
[signature]
Nice post. That sounds like fun. I had a few spots like that on the Logan River while I was in school. What a great get-away.

Humpy
[signature]
That could be any of several spots. There are some nice big browns in there downstream of the freeway and downstream of Geneva road, all the way to Utah Lake.

There are also some stretches above that too, and some good spots near the mouth of Provo canyon.
[signature]
nice job!
[signature]
drnympho: if you read this, please either send me a PM with an email address or enable PMs so I can answer your question about this post. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Tight lines!
[signature]