Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Informal Contest, Largest Lgmouth 08
Just thought we would have ourselfs a contest for 08 on the biggest Large Mouth for the year. We can end it in Dec. This is just for bragging rights.
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/9294/cat/500/ppuser/20344"][Image: PICT0266.JPG][/url] 4 lbs, 13 Oz. June of 08 on a wigglewart. Lake Boomasheen VT.
[inline PICT0266.jpg]
[signature]
ok sounds cool. i don't have a scale or anything but i just got this camera so i can submit pictures
[signature]
I haven't really targeted lmb's this year, mostly smallies but I'm game even though I've already been beat. If you don't mind I'd like to bump up the bragging rights. To the largest lmb I'll send a BFT surprise [shocked]. Of course, pics are appreciated. This is my only decent lmb this year, 2lb. 10oz.
[inline "IMG_0005 (WinCE).jpg"]
Ha! I almost forgot Texas, 5lb 13oz. but I don't count. I'll send a prize to the big fish winner so show us some big 2008 lmb and earn some bragging rights.
[inline "LakeForkTexas,March21-30-2008 025 - 150.jpg"]
[signature]
5# 1 oz caught in a private pond in UT.
Here's a bonus 4# 2oz smallie from Pineview res.[cool][cool]

[inline "4# 2oz smallie.jpg"][inline "5-1 LMB.jpg"]
[signature]
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb248...G_2181.jpg
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb248...G_2182.jpg
Didn't weigh this big boy, but it is my nicest yet.
It slammed my 4 inch Banjo in a deep drop off
at around 15 feet deep.
[signature]
Nice fish, did you say you caught it on a Banjo Minnow? My daughter saw that commercial and has been bugging me for a year to get it.
[signature]
Hey Fsh4fun
Yes sir, my best Bass have been with
Banjo minnows. If properly worked, these
lures really work. give them a try.[Smile]
[signature]
I caught this in May down at Quail Creek Reservoir in southern Utah.... weight 7 lbs and length 23". released to swim again. The reason the white rope is in his mouth is because I was fishing for crappies from the bank and didn't have scale or tape measure with me, it was at the campground in the boat.. So I had that rope in my bag and tied the fish to a rock and drove back and got my stuff to weigh and measure this bass....6 lb test line and a nice fight........
[inline "7lbs bass.JPG"]
Here is a pic from a different angle...
[inline "7lbs-2 bass.JPG"]

ps. pic under my name is a Lake El Salto 12 pounder from a couple years ago.....
[signature]
Here is my 7lb 6oz LMB from Cedar Lake - Wolcott, CT.

[inline 65lb-lmb-cedar-lake-6-9-08-junebug-senko.jpg]

You can read the whole report on my blog: http://ifishct.com/blog/2008/06/10/big-h...shing-fun/

Good luck everyone...
[signature]
I bought some a few years ago. I never caught anything with them. How do you fish them? I might gibe them a try again.
[signature]
Hello Bassngal
As you already know, Banjo minnows need to be worked correctly in order to catch fish. Unlike other lures that do the movements on their own.

I have had success with two retrieves.
(1.) I jerk two to three times then just let the minnow sink about 2 to 3 feet then jerk again. As I jerk I make fast movements to make the minnow look hurt and frantic. Bass usually slam it in the pause while it sinks.

(2.) I find a deep dark drop off where I know big bass are holding. I simply just let the minnow sink down to the dark depths and every once in awhile give it a small jerk ,no more than two jerks and let it sink. When it hits the bottom reel up and start again. Important to always give slack to the line, if not the Bass can't inhale the whole minnow and not get hooked. Happened to me many times before I learned to always give the line slack when the minnow is sinking, when the line stretches all of a sudden, set the hook cause you got a fish.

My favorite minnow is the 4 inch spotted Glow in the dark minnow. In deep dark drop offs, the glowing minnow drives the big bass crazy. Hope this helps, good luck.
[signature]
[fishin]tHANKS FOR THE INFO. DO YOU FISH WITH BAITCASTER OR SPINNING ROD?
[signature]
Hey Bassngal

I fish with both baitcaster and spinning outfit. My preference leans towards my shimano spinning reels but my browning baitcasting combo get it's fair amount of use too.
[signature]
[fishin]I have shimano spinning reels also. I will have to try them again this weekend.
[signature]
A 9.22 Largemouth out of Diamond Valley Res in Hemet Cal, March 08. Officially weighed on their scales at the marina. Caught on a white tube drop shot on a bed. Released after weighing.
[signature]
Very sweet bass!! Thats going to be hard to beat next year. LOL
[signature]
Thank you. That was the biggest largemouth I've ever caught. The same day my son caught an 8.40 largemouth. Last year he caught a 10.5 largemouth at Diamond Valley. I hope to go next year. Here's another picture of it.
[signature]
Got another large CT bass this weekend. Here is a pic, it was 6+lbs...

[inline "6lb largemouth cedar lake 8-17-08 senko2 small.jpg"]
[signature]
I guess I'm sort of jaded living out here in the giant Bass Capitol of the world. I just couldn't seem to get one over 15. Now I know that sounds a lot like bragging but I've landed six that hit 15 until I finally landed an 18.1. Bigger than my livewell,and almost too much for the scale, I caught this one on a rigged weedless wacky rigged Tiki Worm, flylined on fifteen pound Vanish with an Owner 2/0 Mosquito hook.Fought like hell, hit the boat a couple of times, these things are different than regular bass. Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it! By the way my dad caught a fifteen and a thirteen on the same day, all in 35 feet of water, outside a steep dropoff with a monster weedbed on it.
[signature]