Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Fish On A Fly Rod
What is the biggest fish you have ever caught on a fly rod? and if you remember how long did it take for you to land the fish?
[signature]
That one is easy although I have landed several Carp in the 30+" range.
2007, Henry's Lake, Fall, 6 wt. rod with intermediate line, and 6 lb P-Line fluorocarbon tippet. A #12 Hot Chocolate for the fly.
About 15 to 20 minutes to land.
35" aproximately 20 lb Hybrid.
[signature]
My biggest fish was a sucker. I caught it on Clear Creek between Idaho Springs and Golden. When I put it on the scales it weighted 180 lbs. Caught it on a size 20 red miracle midge. Fowl Hooked him real good. Amazingly I caught him as I released a 12 inch rainbow from a size 12 Crackleback.

It took me 3 days to get the nerve to take that hook out of the back of my hand. It was so small I kept forgetting about it until I put may hand in my pocket. Then I would instantly remember that it was there. I also instantly got reminded I need to debarb ALL my hooks.
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]I guess that I must be a throw back from the old days for I have never weigh or measured a fish that I caught. Whether it is an arm or hand span long it really doesn't make any difference to me. To catch a few nice fish and enjoy the scenery makes my day.[Image: bobwink.gif] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
180LB? How big was that thing? Plus foul hooking with a #20, how many days did you play it?
[signature]
My biggest fish on the flyrod would have to be a 32lb Halibut. It measured close to 33 inches.

It took all but 26 minutes to bring it up on my 11wt rod, sinking line(with 1/4oz) splitshot tagger and 15lb Tyger Leader.[cool]
[signature]
FG wrote: 180LB? How big was that thing? Plus foul hooking with a #20, how many days did you play it?
-------------

It was over 5 ft tall. I played it only for a moment until I could get some line stripped out of the guides so that hook was not yanking on my hand. I was the sucker.
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]My god that is like landing a short stout man. Okay what wt rod were you using?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
DUH! Well you just hooked a ______lb little ol lady[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I got ya beat with a size 4 sculpin hook I caught a 240lber

In reality I caught a 20lb gar on a draggon fly and a five weight in Florida.

Windriver
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Well as I said I don't measure or weigh my catch. However, do you care to give a guess on this one?[/size][/#008000][/font] [Image: bobwink.gif]
[center][inline MM5.gif]
[signature]
no guesses.. but do you have her phone number.. maybe she has a sister.. heheh

MacFly[fishin]
[signature]
to date the biggest legitimate fish that I have brought to hand on a fly rod is the very first one I ever caught.. it was on a 6wt fly rod that my brother in law loaned me.. I was using size 10 - 12 poppers.. this one was a green frog pattern.. the fish was a good couple of pounds and about 14 inches long.. it only took a few minutes to bring it to hand since it hit the popper only a few feet from the shore..

now.. on the other hand.. this past Thursday I was on the Little Duck river near Manchester TN with MacLarry.. we were both using 5/6 wt pfluger rod comobos.. I had gotten a good nibble on a short cast but missed the hook up.. so I wanted to cast back quickly to the same area... as I started my casting I feel a tug on the and then a loud HOWL.. I turned to see MacLarry with the small wooly bugger I was using hooked firmly in the corner of his mouth.. all he could say was "ya hooked me".. as much as I did not want to laugh I had too.. once he unhooked himself he started laughing as well.. luckily I had debarbed that hook before I started using it..

.. funny thing was.. for some odd reason or the other he stayed away from me for the rest of the evening.. heheh

MacFly [angelic]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Welcome back MacFly - I hope that you & your family had a great vacation. FGD told me to give you a big hug for her when you returned. Here's your hug. Think that she is over in Idaho practicing her casting. [/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: bobwink.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline BEAR-HUG.jpg]
[signature]
thank you .. its good to be back.. and thank you for the hug from my sis.. I think you are right about the Idaho thing..maybe she will have some good stories when she comes back..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[Image: dumb.gif]So how tall & how much did that MacLarry fish weight? [Image: bobwink.gif] BTW her # is 1-800-333-7426. Check your telephone key pad to decipher it's code.
[center][inline uwp.jpg]
[signature]
I got the deep part.. but not the 426... best I can come up with is gan or gam....:-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Duh - [/size][size 4]H²0 or did you forget why you took Chemistry 101.[/size][/#008000][/font][font "Times New Roman"] [Image: bobwink.gif][/font]
[signature]
oh so you Confused me with using numbers to represent letters AND numbers.. now that is just not fair.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[#00bf00] Dryrod wrote "dare to take a guess on this one?" [/#00bf00]36C?[:p]

My biggest fish on a fly rod was a 34" tiger musky. Second biggest was a 31" sucker.[cool]
[signature]