Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boats made of Gold on KSL
Sorry this is my own personal rant. Just got off ksl.com and was looking at a few boats. I understand that buying a new boat does cost quite a bit of money. But the resale of a boat that is 10, 20, or even 30 YEARS OLD the value is going to drop. I understand senimental value of things but it does'nt make them made of gold especially when they are listing them for 2 or 3 TIMES more than N.A.D.A high retail. People need to understand that lenders will not give a loan for more than blue book not to mention It will be harder to get insurance. So, I ask, for the love of pete why dont people research things before they try to sale.
Once again sorry for ranting but I just had to get that off of my chest. Feel free to respond if you feel I am wrong.
[signature]
i totaly agree with you, i check ksl 4-5 times a day.
[signature]
I'll sell you my boat for only two times high book.[angelic]
[signature]
How bout I just borrow it until you get a new truck!![laugh]
[signature]
I check it about the same. I dont know what people are thinking. The Sad thing is there are some people out there that pay the price and think they are getting a good deal!!
BTW thanks for the pole holders they work great!!
[signature]
What's funny is just wait and watch how far down these prices will drop when these reservoirs and lakes dry up (I pray that never happens).
[signature]
The prices are what they are because that is what the market dictates. The reason you guys are checking 4 times a day is because the fishing boats go so fast. There just aren't that many fishing boats for sale, so when one comes up there is always someone willing to pay what the person is asking. When I bought my boat I had the cash saved up for over a year before I found the right one and missed on 4 or 5 in that time that were gone before I could get there. I was the first person to call on the boat I bought and by the time I could drive from woods cross to payson the guy had already had over 30 calls.
[signature]
Crazy stuff.
[signature]
I paid about 800 over blue book for my old boat but I was working 12 hour shifts at the time and most boats were sold before I could even call after 7:00pm most nights . Blue book is just a guide line to work with . I still feel like I found what I wanted and was able to pay in cash , so no sweat .

[signature]
yes saving and having the cash is the best choice. The boats that i am talking about are over price and usually are listed for a long time. You are right to get a good deal on ksl you have to be quick and call befor anyone else.
[signature]
If you want to be notified instantly when new things are posted on KSL that you're interested in, I'd try out www.fetchduke.com

It'll email you the instant something new is posted with the keywords you specify so you can be first.

Right now you have to ask to be signed up by filling out the form at

[url "http://fetchduke.com/contact"]http://fetchduke.com/contact[/url]

but they are working on building an automatic signup. Could really come in handy!
[signature]
Calling before anyone else won't get it. Three times I've called for things advertised on KSL & made a firm offer & set a pick up date. Then I go to get the stuff & it's already sold. I suggest if you want it, get there with the cash ASAP or forget it.
[signature]
A 1995 boat and motor in UT is worth 3 times what the same combo is worth in Florida.
That lorida boat has a 10 month season, UT has a 4 month season. The average boat in FL gets 300 hours a year on it, the average boat in UT gets 50 hours a year.
Ever wonder why there are so many motors from the 50's and 60's on KSL that "run good" so little use.
One must also consider the drought years and how they effect usage as well as dam repairs that can shut down whole lakes for 2 years at a time.
Now fuel prices will cut usage of boats even more.
I looked at a 20 yr old aluminum 14' boat this spring, had a 1988 Motor with maybe 50 hours on it, not a scratch on it anywhere, the boat was imaculant, not a spot on the carpet, not a rip or tear, the only defect was the cover was faded from sitting on the boat for 4 years with out being used. The guy wanted top dollar and probably got it.
Throw NADA away, the adjustments for UT are way off.
[signature]
Get on boats.com, that's where I found mine. I used uship.com (like ebay, haulers bid to deliver whatever you want) to get it here. Bidding started at $2900 and went down to $1000. The guy that brought it to me was really great, he stayed in constant contact with me.
Anyways, I found my boat in Oklahoma. I was fortunate enough to have some friends that live there that went and looked at it. I flew down there, test drove the boat, fished Lake Fork, Texas for a few days and when I got home my new boat was there. All this was done $7000 below the NADA price of the boat. It's already been said that Utah has expensive boats but just because other states have a longer boating season doesn't mean they get used more. My boat is a 2000, it had 112 hours on it two years ago when I bought it from OK.
[signature]
Thanks I will check it out!!
I dont think the season is all that is effecting the price of boats. You always hear people saying that they want a boat but after they buy one they find out that having a boat takes work. People dont understand that one has to put the effort (and money) into maintaining a boat with cleaning, winterization and so forth. After they figure this out they lose interest. I drive by three rv/boat storage lots every day and they are loaded with boats. I have watched these lots to see what boats are coming and going. The Sad thing is only a couple of boats are being used regularly. The others just sit and rot. In one lot there are two really nice rangers that havent moved for two years!! So people think since they havent used there boats much they are worth what they paid originaly. You always see ads stating "boat has just been sitting there" or "hasn't been used in fiver years". Mybe I should start a service for people offering to take these boats out for five or six hours for a test run to "make sure they are running ok". I will take my poles for safety purposes only.[Wink]
[signature]
sounds to me your looking for a great boat at a steal they happen.but usually you get what you pay for.my first boat sold for 3200 in 1971 sold it 20 years latter for 3,800 its called inflation boats dont drop in value. if you maintain em and keep them looking nice.smith and edwards has a couple out in there parking lot out back that you can probably pick up at a bargain. also you need to look at the extras that come with a boat nada is way under swivel mounts for riggers will cost ya a couple a hundred for 2 easy.life jackets fish finders etc.aloso some fishing boats go for alot more dough than others.trophys for one hold the value real well,good luck looking for that steal,just rember its along walk back across that water.
[signature]