Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
entomology
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]I have been some what Confused about the patterns used for both midges & nymphs. Some of them might have a tail or not, wings or not, feelers or not. So when you see or tie either a midge or nymph how do you differentiate the two?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Here are some descriptions of these two insects that I obtain form schools that have a entomology courses.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Midge: a very small fly/gnat. Minute two-winged mosquito-like fly lacking biting mouth parts; appear in dancing swarms especially near water. Also called chironomidae, non biting midge, or gnat any of a group of tiny two-winged flies (order Diptera) that superficially resemble mosquitoes. Although they resemble mosquitoes, midges are harmless, with small mouthparts that are not elongated into a piercing structure for blood feeding. They do not have scales on wings or body and the pattern of wing veins differs from that of mosquitoes. Any of various gnat like flies of the family Chironomidae, found worldwide and frequently occurring in swarms near ponds and lakes. Any of various similar dipteran insects, such as the biting midges of the family Ceratopogonidae. [/#008000][/font][/size]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4] [/size][/#008000][/font]
[size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000]Nymph: an immature insect resembling the adult but smaller, less differentiated, and usually lacking wings [/#008000][/font][/size]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]The larval form of certain insects, such as silverfish and grasshoppers, usually resembles the adult form but smaller and lacking fully developed wings. Also called nympha.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]In [/size][/#008000][/font][url "http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/B_ENTOMOLOGY.HTM"][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]entomology[/size][/#008000][/font][/url][size 4][font "Garamond"][#008000], nymph is the immature form of insects that do not have a pupal stage; for example, grasshoppers and dragonflies. Nymphs generally resemble the adult (unlike larvae), but do not have fully formed reproductive organs or wings.[/#008000][/font][/size]
[signature]
now you know why I know squat about entomology.. except for size these guys sound almost the same to me..

anyone else have insight that may clear this muddy water for me.. [Image: dumb.gif]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
To me, NYMPH is a life stage rather than a specific fly. In other words, many if not all insects go through the NYMPH STAGE.
Midge, is a specific fly as mentioned. Very tiny, but they are a NYMPH also at some point. "MIDGE NYMPH".
Like PUPA and EMERGER, they are life cycles.
When I hear the term MIDGE, I think very small, like my 32's and I also think "ZEBRA MIDGE" which is in all actuality a Midge Nymph or a Midge Pupa, but again think small like 22 and smaller.
[signature]