Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard tricks
So does anyone Have any tricks for getting the old outboard start quickly ? Is it typical to have them turn over 5 to 6 times before they start ? I picked up a used fishing boat with a 40hp Evinrude. It seems to have to crank quite a bit before starting . Is that typical ? Is there a fuel additive that might quick start it a bit ? I appreciate any input. Im a bit of a novice here with outboards...

Thanks
[signature]
[quote catfishbait]So does anyone Have any tricks for getting the old outboard start quickly ? Is it typical to have them turn over 5 to 6 times before they start ? I picked up a used fishing boat with a 40hp Evinrude. It seems to have to crank quite a bit before starting . Is that typical ? Is there a fuel additive that might quick start it a bit ? I appreciate any input. Im a bit of a novice here with outboards...

Thanks[/quote]

Do you have a primer pump in the fuel supply line to the engine? Pump it up good and let it sit a minute under pressure to let fuel get up into the carbs.

-DallanC
[signature]
I use a fuel additive called Sea Foam, it keeps the carbs clean and in my opinion it makes it easier to start. If my motor has been seating for a month or more it usually takes some cranking to get it to start but if it has been started recently it starts quickly. WH2
[signature]
I run the gas out of the carb each time I pull it out of the water. Since I have been doing that it starts up a lot better.
[signature]
Prime the bulb for sure. Not sure what you got but on some models you can push in the key for 5 seconds which acts like a primer on the carb. or try using the choke. I'm no outboard expert just trying to help.
[signature]
Sometimes mine get a little cold and doesn't want to start. I keep a can of carb cleaner with me. If the motor won't start after a few pulls, I take the cover off and spray a little into the intake. Fires right up everytime...so far.[Wink]
[signature]