Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
offshore charters?
hello all fellow BFT'ers. Im FB2, I am hoping that some fellow BFT'ers may point me in a good diresction. My father who is from california but now lives in utah(and fellow BFT'er ROAD) has a birthday coming up in december. I was hoping to get him out on the water for 3 days surrounding his birthday. I would really like to see him get back tohis roots and land some size. I would like to get into some tuna, for he has dropped hints thats a good species to chase in december. My big problem is all the chartes im finding are going out for ten days that time of year, and i simply cannot afford that. If anyone knows of a 3 day charter or even 3 1 day charters that i could get into many species of fish? Thanks for any advice ahead of time.
[signature]
Welcome to the Cali board Fishboy2 and thanks for comig to visit us here. I do believe that I have seen you on the Utah board as well.

The reason being that the Tuna Boats are on 10 day trips at that time is that the Tuna are far, far away during the colder months.

December is mostly the rockfishing season here in Cali since there isn't much more that is biting within a 3 day range.

You are more than welcome to join up with me in Oxnard or Long Beach area. For a 1 day boat, you generally won't need reservations too far in advance.

I could find out from some of my friends (boat Captains) if there are any exploration trips that they might plan on making during that time.

It could still be lots of fun and there are still 422 different species that can be caught out here.[cool]
[signature]
indeed I have. I am planning on being in cali. the 9, 10, and eleventh. The more fishing the better. I will take any just about any help for finding boats to fill those days. And I would surely like to fish with ya. what other info might you be able to help me find for fishing those days?
[signature]
Are you planning on bringing any gear with you or do you plan to rent the local selection for the boat?
[signature]
I have not put much thought to that to be honest. I am not sure any of our gear minus a few rods would be able to handle the salt water. I would guess we will most likely rent for the most part. we may each bring our fave rods for some light tackle action. It all depends on what I am able to find and get set up.
[signature]
A few Bass rods would be handy. If you had one spooled up with spectra on an Abu Garcia C4 size reel, then you wouldn't need anything from the rentals.

Equivalant sizes to the reel in other brands would be:

Conventional reels

Penn Squidder
Penn 155
Penn 501

Diawa Firewolf
Avet LX

Any size 30 or 300 series reel

Spinning Reels:

Okuma CD 50 or CD90

Shimano Spirex 5000 or larger

Diawa DTE 7500

Let me know what gear you have and I can give you recommendations.[cool]
[signature]
I did some recon work today, and though he may have some more gear stashed away. all i could find were spinning rods from ultralight to medium heavy in action and all the reels we have are 5:1 8 bearing spinning reels. i know they are all excellent for the fish we ctach here in utah, I think my dad has given all his salty rods away.
[signature]
Are you OK with baitcasters or Conventionals?

Most of the landings will rent out conventionals only. We could change our fishing location though. I do know of 2 landings in Long Beach area that have Spinning Reels.

If you are more into Spinning Reels, I may have a few around the house to from some sponsors. I will drum them up and let you know.[cool]
[signature]
My father can fish with just about anything. im sure he would not have an issue with any reel. I am not as good with the baitcasting, but give me an hour and i will have it, ha ha. my sisters and i spilled the beans to him, he is stoked to go to cali for some real fish.
[signature]
Cool[cool]

I guess I'll see you when you get here.

Be sure to send me a PM with your particulars. I will send mine back to you as well.[cool]
[signature]
I bet I could get a few of the local BFT members to join us as well. That would be more fun to know that you are with trusted fellow anglers.

I will start another thread to see if we can get some other interested anglers to join us.[cool]
[signature]
the more the merrier i would say. Though nothing is booked now i intend to be staying at the casa sirena hotel that is at the marina in oxnard. we are goign to be going out through channel island sportfishing, Looks to be the best bang for the buck there. It should be a good time to be had by all.
[signature]
Channel Islands Sportfishing is my Home base for the Salt.

If you want to do a 1/2 day we can go on the Speed Twin.
3/4 day would be the Gentleman and if I can get the other capt to run, we could probably get on the Sumo for some full day and better fishing action.

The 1/2 day runs from 9am to 4pm
The 3/4 day runs from 6am to 4pm
The Full Day runs from 4am to 4pm

The 1/2 and 3/4 day run daily and the full day runs Sat and Sunday when there are enough people signed up.

I can get enough of my local friends to make sure the full day goes out at least one of the weekend days.

How many are coming with you so I can start making plans?? If there aren't enough for an open party trip then I can work something out with the Capt to Charter the boat just for us.[cool]
[signature]
It will just be me and road. i would like to do at least 3/4 days mostly full if possible. seeing as how we do not often get on the salt i would like to get as much time on the water with a hook as possible. I am game for just about anything, as long as it has the hopes of soe larger fish.thanks for helping out and being so offering.
[signature]
You are most welcome.

I am always glad to help when I can.

There are several UT and ID members that come out here every year for saltwater fishing. You may know some of them. I will discuss who they are later when you get here.

Everyone that has come out for Saltwater fishing with me has left very happy.[cool]
[signature]
I think i speak for most when i say that i leave just about any water happy. even if that mucky skunk smells is on me. but no fears there i have been skunk free all year. Road and I are both stoked, we have not taken a vacation to just go fishing in a long while, Our family has been crossing a rough patch on the river of life recently and i think it will be really good to get him back to the roots and over the rough stuff.
That family has wanted to something big for his birthday for a few years now, but with it in such close proxemity to christmas it never happens. but this year i convinced to sisters that taking him out on the open water would be one hell of a birthday/christmas present for him and that they could nail two fish with one lure.
[signature]
Well I know you guys will have a very good time out on the my Great Salt Lake. It is not as salty as the one you guys have over there and does support all kinds of life. hee hee.,

I look forward to meeting you guys. I know you have fished with my Dad in UT so now it's time to learn some new tricks.[cool]
[signature]