Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New waters open. Where to fish?
Now that the Supreme Court has ruled we have a right to access our rivers (keep in mind you have to access the river at a public place and respect the land) where do you plan on fishing? Here are a couple of mine that I have on my list:

Lost creek. Get in at the cement plant and move up stream
East Canyon Creek. Get in where the river flows under the road going up to the canyon
Ogden River. Fish the river all the way up the canyon
South Fork Ogden: Hit some of the lower stretches that are private and through the cabin area
Black's Smith Fork: Above Hardware Ranch
Logan: Where it splits from the road almost at the top of the canyon
Lower Weber: This river rocks in through Mogan, Stoddard area
Stoddard's Slough: There is a small access point I know of. Very big fish creeping in here.

That should keep me busy for a while.

Katghoti
[signature]
Years ago I was delivering lumber to a house on the ogden river about a mile down
from the dam. I was looking at the river not saying a thing and the lady that owns
the house saysBig GrinON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT! Now I'm thinking about it!!![Tongue]
[signature]
I think this may be an uphill battle until everyone is educated about the new ruling. There are probably enough monied interests that could get the legislature to reverse this that I'm not celebrating yet. On Saturday, I had someone get pretty confrontational with me while fishing some private water on the Provo (accessed at a public access point). Even carrying a copy of the court decision did not help much.

I am planning to enjoy the new access rights while they last though. [Smile]
[signature]
Besides carry a copy of the ruling I'd suggest calling the cops if anyone gets confrontational. Many landowners thought they owned the water but they never did. It has never been legal in the USA to own a waterway at any time. What was done before and is still done in some states is clearly illegal. Glad someone made a stand to let Utah and the private landowners know that their illegal actions won't be tolerated anymore. Remember if confronted you aren't a criminal but a victim of a crime you don't have to let the landowner get away with anymore. By the way I do own land that has a steam on it and I have never restricted access to anyone. While you have to go upstream quite a bit to find trout, people do hunt, bird watch and ATV on it without anything but a hello from me.
[signature]
Just be intelligent about what you are doing and not disrespectful. Also you aren't going to be able to fish a long ways after Hardware ranch. Some of that water you can't wade up- just the way the river flows. Well I guess if you want to do a lot of swimming you can. Also you will be able to fish some of the Millers land but only a section of it.
[signature]
I continue to be polite even if landowners do get a little testy. I can understand their position. They feel like they have owned these sections of river and all of the fish in them and the court has just ruled that they belong to the public.

It's definitely worth the hassle though. Here's a picture from this morning's excursion.
[signature]
now THAT.. is a great looking fish.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
NICE fish.
[signature]
Does anyone know any good access points to fish the private streches on the Weber?

Are there any good public access points near the Mountain Green exit?