Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some more Glass
For those that are not into glass rods, they are a blast.
But, there is two different kinds of glass. There is the "E" glass that is slower more noodlie like Lamiglass, Mc Farland, Eagle Claw etc. Then there is "S" glass that is a little faster like Steffen Brothers, Diamond Glass, etc.
Along with different tapers like Parabolic.
Recently I found another Glass in the lower price range that is sweet as heck.
Sportsmen's Warehouse sales them as a combo, with a reel I am not familiar with but it seems okay. The reel/rod combo sells for $65. or so.
The rod is W.W. Griggs and comes in 8', 8 1/2' and 9' 5/6 weight.
Normally I would be a little hesitant in a 9' glass, but this is not ordinary glass. It is an "S" glass and faster than most.
I have tried this rod with 5, 6, 7 weight line and it loves them all. A little faster with the 5, but still a MED/FAST action. Much like Plastic.
The guides are nothing to write home about but still good, Plus has a nice BAMBOO look to it.
Here is the 8' with the South Bend reel on it.

[Image: P7270002400.jpg]

Oh yeah, it is NOT made in China.
[signature]
ya know sis there are times you are like a little kid in a candy shop.. :-)... but I have to say that looks like a nice rig..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][cool]The price is certainly right. In fact this would be ideal for someone buying their first fly rod & reel.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I'm gonna bid on a vintage Ted Williams Combo with Silaflex rod here in minutes, no size mentioned but researched thoroughly the completed listings and read a bunch about Silaflex (making a comeback) so regardless of what It actually is I am buying, I know It is a quick turnaround investment if nothing else.

Guess there are glass rod only folks out there will use nothing else and I love glass, no replacement for my glass radio tubed guitar amp and glass boats of course.

cant tell if reel is self rewind, hoping not, dont think it is, will let you know,

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][#008000]If you are interested in auction goodies here is the BFT's link:[/#008000]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/auctions_fishing/"]AUCTION[/url]
[center]OR
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/auctions_fishing/fly_fishing/Index.html"]FF_AUCTION[/url]
[center][signature]
is this the rig you suggested to BFS a couple of days ago.. ??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
A BIG! Good luck on that Rod.....Thumbs Up!
[signature]
[quote BigFishingShop]I'm gonna bid on a vintage Ted Williams Combo with Silaflex rod here in minutes, no size mentioned but researched thoroughly the completed listings and read a bunch about Silaflex (making a comeback) so regardless of what It actually is I am buying, I know It is a quick turnaround investment if nothing else.

Guess there are glass rod only folks out there will use nothing else and I love glass, no replacement for my glass radio tubed guitar amp and glass boats of course.

cant tell if reel is self rewind, hoping not, dont think it is, will let you know,

BFS [fishin]
.[/quote]
Silaflex's were built in the '50's and Browning bought them in the early '60's.
I think they were a front runner in the development of the newer, lighter glass rods that Phillipson and Fenwick eventually built in the mid 50's and 60's. The Browning Silaflex later had the aluminum ferrules and o-rings. In the 70's Browning came out with glass ferrules to replace the metal ferrules. They built them (glass fly rods) I think until about 1990. Now I'm not sure if there was a TW model of Silaflex, it seemed Ted put his name on just about everthing, but the main seller for TW products was Sears Roebucks for quite a while. I think the TW name sold a lot of product. Martin reel had TW's name on, There was True Temper Ted Williams rods. I've also heard he at one time had Paul H. Young build some cane rods with the TW name on them. Good luck on the bidding.
[signature]
Thanks Dryrod, will check it out
[signature]
Hey thanks for the cool info. I didn't have time to study much was an hour left when I first found so saved to my watched and hit the study hard, pretty cool stuff.

Oh yeah this is after the fact, I won it, see new post.

Thanks

BFS [fishin]
[signature]
>I've also heard he at one time had Paul H. Young build some cane rods with the TW name on them.<

That's a recurring rumor, Evil. But it's kind of doubtful. You note that while people talk about Paul Young Ted Williams rods, nobody's ever seen one.

By the time TW became a marketing icon, Young was pretty much over extended. He could barely keep up with his own orders, and it's really incredible that he'd even consider private branding.

It's possible that after Paul's death his son might have gone that route, but there's no real evidence of it.

No doubt Ted Williams personally owned and used Paul Young rods---anybody who was anybody in the flyfishing world back then either owned or coveted them. It's likely that those rods had Ted's name on them---it was pretty common for custom builders to do that---and that might account for the myth.

Brook
http://the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com
[signature]
I know PHY and Ted W, and Bobby Doerr (another Red Sox player) were all friends and fished together in Florida and other places, and PHY build rods for both. Could be where the "rumour" started. They -rumors- have to start with some truth somewhere.
Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Yes, I believe it was. I still may want a good composite or at least try one too, just scored a real nice bamboo rod too and a newly spooled up 50's Pfleuger reel for dirt cheap, when You coming to to fish John ??

BFS [fishin]
[signature]