Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bighorn float tube
I tried to do a search and didn't find anything on this tube. We only have a gander mountain near us and the only tube they sell is the bighorn. I searched on google and can't seem to find any reviews at all for this one. I was/am looking at getting the [url "http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-66668-Togiak-Backpackable/dp/B0000AS5UO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1217353515&sr=1-4"][#000000][size 3][font "Arial"]togiak float tube. They look similar. Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the bighorn tube.[/font][/size][/#000000][/url]

thanks
Jason
[url "http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Accessories-66668-Togiak-Backpackable/dp/B0000AS5UO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1217353515&sr=1-4"][/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have had a lot of experience with several models put out by Trout Unlimited. I owned a Kennebec for a year or so, and have known other guys who had Togiaks and Bighorns. For the most part, they are a decent tube for the price. But, the vinyl air chambers and the valves do not hold up well. There have also been some issues with the stitching coming undone at the seams.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you find a smokin' deal, and are just looking for something to try tubing, go for it. But, chances are that you will be wanting something better for the future. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have an [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=134"]Archive section[/url] on the board and checking back on some past threads I found two on the Bighorn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=147124;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][black]TROUT UNLIMITED BIGHORN[/black][/url][black]
[/black]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=196022;#196022"][black]TU BIGHORN TRICKED OUT[/black][/url][black]
[/black]

[black]
[/black]

[signature]
After reading a bit more I think the ODC 420 looks better. One question though. On some sites I see the ODC 420 and also the ODC lightweight 420 that comes with pump and fins. what are the differences between the 2? I looked on bass pro's website and it doesn't look like they sell the ODC. It's too bad, I'll be there next weekend and we don't have a cabela's anywhere near here.

Jason
[signature]
[quote rw02kr43]After reading a bit more I think the ODC 420 looks better. One question though. On some sites I see the ODC 420 and also the ODC lightweight 420 that comes with pump and fins. what are the differences between the 2? I looked on bass pro's website and it doesn't look like they sell the ODC. It's too bad, I'll be there next weekend and we don't have a cabela's anywhere near here.

Jason[/quote]

Don't know the difference between the ODC ala carte and the one with the "kit", if there is one. BUT, the sale that Cabela's is having on the kit is a smokin' deal if you don't already have fins and a pump. I'd consider the ODC if I didn't already have my FC4. There's pretty much a consensus that the ODC is up there with the best though, so you can't go wrong.

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The lightweight version is lighter for a reason...less material equals less weight equals less strength and long term endurance. I generally recommend the regular 420 unless the primary purpose for buying it is for a pack in tube. If you want a good solid tube that will hold up better for longer, go with the full weight model.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The 420 has been popular with several members on our board. It is probably the best "full size" tube for the dollars. It is close to the Fat Cats in total weight rating. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unfortunately, not all suppliers carry all makes and models. Once you decide what you want, you might have to buy from a source you might not otherwise use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I also suggest looking on eBay. There are sometimes some super deals on new tubes there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I just read the info on the "lightweight". WOW! 8 lbs?! I'd halfway consider the trade-off in durability (I don't plan on dragging it beind the car over cactus to get to my fishin' hole) to save 50% in weight. Probably means it packs smaller as well. Final folded stack is 22"x19"x8" vs 12" thick, but it has a foam seat vs. inflated so that somewhat limits the ultimate final size. What's curious is that it supposedly has the same "skin" so all the weight comes out of the seat foam maybe and the bladder thickness?

I guess what price security though, no? I can't belive they can pare off that much without going to a mylar or something silly bladder - though the Trinity is the same weight but that one looks fragile vs. the ODC L/W.

I'd love to give one of these a try some day though...

_SHig
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I would love to get a real unbiased review from a knowledgeable tuber who has actually fished from one...over a period of time. I only know what i have read in the "propaganda" and I tend to "offset" a lot of the hype as not beneficial to the potential buyer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also, a lot of folks do not like to admit they made a bad decision when they buy something that does not turn out as well as they hoped. They will make allowances and justifications for the shortcomings in order to keep from looking foolish. Not me. If I don't like something, I tell it like it is...even if some on this board take exception to it. After all, your own personal opinion is what should count to you when you are spending your own money.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In theory, a 420 that is every bit as good and sturdy as the regular model...but weighs less...is a great idea. But (call me silly) it always seems to me that when you sacrifice weight that has to come from someplace...and maybe someplace important. I have always been skeptical about paying more for less...or however that goes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
yeah. It worries me a bit that I can't seem to find any info on what the lightweight is made out of. what kind of bladder it uses and stuff. I wish I could find someplace local that sells these. Cabela's was supposed to build a store less than a mile from me. they broke ground on it then put it on hold indefinatly. The city made all kinds of concessions to them and then they just quit with no word on when it will begin again. That little stunt costs us a chance at bass pro shops too. Because of the concessions and stopping by cabela's, the city won't talk to bass pro.

sorry to get off topic, just makes me mad. I kind of want to try the lightweight one just to see what it's like. I guess I could be the guinea pig for the site. [Image: happy.gif]

Jason
[signature]
Well I think I just may weigh in on this one. I had a regular 420 and I did like it until the bladder blew in my garage as I was pumping it up to make sure all was good. It was only about 75 percent aired up and in the shade where it was probably only about 70 degrees. It split about a 3/8 inch slit just above the seam in the nose. Up until this happened I loved it. I just could not bring myself to trust it so it went back to Cabela's as it was only 6 mo old. I still think they are a good tube, but I would go with a outcast instead. And I do like my H3 but they are considerably more. If you are packing it a long way's in the weight can be an issue but if it is short distances, no worries, besides once you get sonar, rod racks, rads gears what 8 lbs any way.

Majja
[signature]