Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fat Cat
Got my new/old Fat Cat at the door this morning. I'm impressed at the improvements they have made since my Fat Cat 66 (vintage 1999) The double zippered and velcro pockets are great compared to my single zipper on the old Cat. I can now easily put my finder in the pocket secured to its waterproof battery box and zipper up tight to it exactly as I do on my Fish Cat pontoon.

The seat back storage is a big plus although I spent a minute or so trying to stuff the seatback into the jacket pocket. The heavy duty material on the bottom extending to cover the tips of the pontoons protects the area from prickly fish fins.

My old Cat has two separate inflateable bladders and this one has one with the same valve as used on my Fish Cat pontoons. With foam block seating that is probably a plus. Two separate bladders would make me feel more secure though If I had inflateable seats. This is probably a moot point as I haven't come close to losing the air in my pontoons in the 8 years I've been using the Fat Cat 66.

I have to thank our guru, Pat for his "spot on" advice concerning installing the foam blocks. I struggled so much with my original Cat when I first got it I ended up fishing in it for about a month with the tubes stuffed in the wrong way. Following Pat's suggestions this time I aired it up to full capacity to stretch the material then deflated it to a soft stage. I put the blocks into a sink full of soapy water and they slid in like a "piece of cake."

Now I'm ready to get my son out on the water as my original is still going strong.

God Bless,
Don
P.S. I call this my new/old tube because it is not this year's model and I have the higher quality urethane bladder because of it.. As a long time user of Outcast products I can't believe that they have gone to vinyl bladders and kept the price the same on their Fat Cats and SFC's. I consider myself fortunate to have found the last unit in an on-line store in Alberta.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good news all around. Glad everything worked okay. Always amazes me when my advice is used...and succeeds. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got any grand plans for a new "add-on" design?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
No, I've discovered I'm a minimalist. Any time I get fancy I'm usually paying for it, like the time i went downriver in my kayak with a milk crate behind me with two PVC rod holders. (This works fine on a lake!) first cast to a downfall I hook a really nice smallnmouth who takes me right into the wood and snags me up. So now I'm holding the rod in one hand and paddling with the other against the current in an effort to get back up to the fish. Natural instinct has me paddling tight to shore where the jig on one of my spare rods gets snagged on the brush and my vintage Fenglass ultra-lite is soon in an Ugly Stik type bend. I managed to reach up and cut the line in time or I would not have been a happy camper. Of course the big smallie used this diversion to wrench himself free.

At the trout club when the damsel nymphs are swimming to the shoreline reeds to metamorph it only makes sense to kick over to the shoreline edge and cast out so your retrieve will have the damsel imitation swimming realistically into shore rather than going for the other side of the pond. I've had rods nearly busted from snagging on reeds. with these experiences I have only one piece of PC. mounted to the front of my tube to hold the rod that I'm currently using while I change flies or lures. Two other rods are strung along side with the vecro that came with my tube instead of D rings. Now that I have D rings instead of velcro I will likely attach a couple of "cable cuffs" to secure the rods to the D rings.

My finder will go nicely into my left hand pocket mounted on its waterproof case (similar to Tupperware but waterproof) which contains the battery. One small cooler in the back so I can eat on the water if I choose and an even smaller cooler to hold anything I want to keep dry.

Snap on my rubbermaid flybox/line tray and I'm all set. No need to deal with PVC glue fumes. With this setup I can put the tube softly inflated between the wheel wells of my Forester and just pick it up and carry it to the water once I have my waders on..
Another nice touch since I bought my first Fat Cat is the inside carry handles. It strikes me that some of the people in their R and D department must actually use their products to get out and fish because there have definitely been a lot of improvements since 1999. But I don't understand them charging the same price if they are indeed using vinyl instead of urethane in their Fat Cat and SFC bladders. Their website indicates that these higher end tubes have urethane but the word is that they don't. Anyway i got last year's model and I know mine is urethane.

God Bless,
Don
[signature]