Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I/O Tuneup.....who can help
So, despite my username on here, I really haven't been able to get out much the last couple of years and my boat has unfortunately sat a while. Last time we took it out it started fine and idled fine. However, when we got out of the wakeless zone and hit the throttle it started off, then backfired a couple of times through the carb, sputtered, and completely died. It wouldn't start again for some time. When we finally got it started again after letting it sit, it did the same thing again.
As near as I can guess, it feels to me like there is some sediment in the carb bowl that is getting stirred up when the gas is flowing through and plugs the jets. At least this is what happened with our ATV that had the exact same symptoms.
Anyway, we have been planning on doing the carb work ourselves but just haven't found the time at all. Now we are willing to pay someone just to give us the chance to get out on the lake this year.
The boat is a '79 fiberform with the 305 Penta engine (4 bbl carb).
This could probably be done by anyone with even car mechanic knowledge, but I would prefer someone that has been around working on boats.
Is anyone here willing to do the work, or know of someone that could do it?
[signature]
Hy there. I am new at this site. I don't know much about fishing but i know a little about boats but i am no mechanic. be for you rebuild your carb i wood check a few things first.
1-stale gas or dirty fuel filter 2-vapor locking,check anti-siphon valve and tank vent [wosps like to nest in ther ] 3-if is not an HEI-ignition check points. 4- timing if it is back firing your timing my be off a little. I hope this helps. Brian
[signature]