Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOT DAYS AND TROUT
I got out to do a little stillwater fishing today. Beautiful day but down right HOT. The water temp at 20' was around 70 degrees. I could have dove in with no gasp.
I was deep nymphing at around 20'. Watched the indicator go down and set hook.....I thought I had hooked a dink as there was no fight.
Turned out the Cutt was around the 20" range and NO energy what so ever.
I caught a few and all took much longer to revive. Some I didn't even remove from water and still slow. So, the heat is making us slow, it is also effecting the fish.
Remember this while out fishing...longer revivals, and try not to play the fish too long.
Here is a beauty:

[Image: IMGP3559400.jpg]
[signature]
nice fish...
[signature]
awesome... !!!!!

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Nice pic. Hey FG how do you set up for deep nymphing? What type of line do u use, and what sort of indicator? Thanks

Humpy
[signature]
I am glad you asked that Humpy. Normally I use a regular floating line, but I attach 20' to 30' of 6 lb ot 8 lb fluoro. You can't cast it, you just drop and kick back. When it is hot action, they will also hit it on the way down.
BUT, when I bought the W.W.Griggs glass at Sportsmen's it came as a combo with a fair reel that I am not familiar with. I put a load of backing on it then about on spool of 6 lb fluoro. This is nice cause now I can go even 50' deep.
For indicator, I use the Breakaways introduce by Phil Rowely. They are styrofoam eggs with a plastic peg in the end. You slide the egg and peg up the line to desired length then separate the peg from the egg, make a loop with the line between the peg and egg and put peg back. When a fish hits, the loop pulls out and the indicator will slide.
They can be bought in a bunch of sizes and colors from "The Fly Desk".

Also, I attach one fly on the very end of the line then a small split shot about 6" to 8" up, then attach a tag about three feet up from first fly and attach another fly.

Chan does his deep nymphing with a weighted line in which he drops straight down, jigs a little then raises slowly. I have tried this method but I personally like the indicator style...it's fun watching it go under then just pull the line and slowly raise the tip.
[signature]