Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Checking for leaks
Hey guys, finally got my free boat with trailer. Gonna paint the trailer sometime by the end of the month. Trying to figure out what to use... shall I use Rustoleum?

Anyway, here's my main concern. Is there a way to tell if a boat has a leak without letting it sit in the water for a while? Or am I gonna hafta let it sit in a lake and see if it takes a drink? There's a tiny little hole in the hull but I'm not sure if it goes all the way through or not.

It's a fiberglass boat... 12 ft long. Can't remember the manufacturer. Still workin' on getting a motor (to hook up to the steering wheel), getting some seats put in, and getting rid of the full-size windshield (gonna put one of those small ones just in front of the steering wheel).

It's got some work so the boat isn't completely free. But it sure is gonna look nice once I'm done with it!
Level out the boat on the trailer, then amke sure it is on a dry piece of concrete. Fill the boat up with a couple inches of water, being careful not to get the concrete wet with the hose. Then look for leaks from under the boat. If water gets in it will get out too. Plus it makes it lots easier to find a leak. when you are done, just pull the plug. One thing to consider is that you need to remove batteries and electrical conections. Also dont fill it up to the point that your wood floors and carpet are soaking and submerged. Just enough water in the bottom of the boat to check for leaks.
[signature]
DEFINATLY FIX THE HOLE WITH FIBERGLASS ! , NOW FOR THESE OLDER MODEL BOATS , THEY ALL LEAK . HULL POUNDING WAVES , FLEXING HULLS AND THE OCASSIONAL BUMPS AND SCRAPES LEAVE MICRO CRACKS THRUOUT THE HULL THAT LET THE WATER IN. A SMALL PUMP WITH A SENSOR WILL DO JUST FINE AT KEEPING HER AFLOAT .

IF YOU ARE GOING TO REFINISH HER , SOME OF THE NEWER COATINGS WILL HELP REDUCE THIS PROBLEM . AS THE BOAT WAS FREE IT MIGHT BE WORTH CHECKING INTO HAVING THE HULL REFIBERGLASSED , AROUND THE DETROIT AREA IT RUNS AROUND $750.00 FOR A 17 FOOTER . THEY COME OUT LOOKING SHOWROOM NEW AND A LITTLE HEAVIER . WELL WORTH THE PRICE IF SHE'S GOING TO BE PART OF THE FAMILY FOR A WHILE .

WHEN DOING YOUR TRAILER DO THE WHEEL BEARINGS ! SECOND THING , REPLACE SPONGEY OR CHECKED ROLLERS SAME WITH THE TIRES TOO . RUSTOLIUM ( SPRAY CAN ) WILL LAST ABOUT A YEAR . WITH AN AIR GUN , 2-3 YEARS WITH PROPER PREPORATION OF THE SURFACE .

HOPE THIS HELPS .
[signature]
FORGOT TO MENTION TWO TYPES OF FIBERGLASS COATINGS , GELLCOAT , ROSIN AND HARDNER . AND SECOND , FIBERGLASSING , FIBERGLASSING HAS 1 LAYER OF MESH , BETTER IN THE LONG RUN , GELLCOAT , NO GUARINTEES YOU WON'T HAVE THE PROBLEM RETURN IN A FEW WEEKS OF USE .
[signature]