Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly fishing rookie......
thats me.

i've decided to try my hand at fly fishing cuz i need a new challenge. plus i'm tired of having any spare money.

anyway, i hadn't tried it before cuz i was too impatient to learn but i have a buddy who is an avid fly guy who has shown me the basics of casting and such but i was wondering if anybody has any suggestions of places for a rookie to try his hand at. i mean spots that are a bit easier for starting. i realize that places like the provo the fish are smarter than most college grads. i dont wanna start there n just get frustrated cuz i cant trick em.

you know what i'm sayin...............
[signature]
I'm afraid I can't help you too much with places in utah but if you ever come to idaho I could help you out!
[signature]
Uinta's Thousands of lakes and rivers and a guaranteed catch. Plus you can move from spot to spot cause there are allot of places pretty close together.

Just bring floating and Ants and Quigley Cripples.
[signature]
thanks. thats kinda where i had planned. ive been spending a lot of time up there lately. thats kinda what got me wanting to try fly fishing. ill give it a shot.

where can i get some of those cripples?
[signature]
Any store that carries fly fishing gear. Sportsmen's I am sure has some.
[signature]
sportsmans selection is blown out. for all their flys. the only thing they have left are actual bugs that have moved in to the empty bins where flys used to be..........
[signature]
Id suggest the Weber any day of the week, Weekends get a bit crowded but allot times you have miles of river all to your self.

I know in the beginning at least for me I was going through flies right and left So I started buying them online try www.anglersdream.net flies go for around .50 cent a piece. Pretty decent selection and the flies are decent quality.
[signature]
Living in S.L. and the Gas Prices I don't fish the Weber often, but it does seen that it is a great river.
Another nice thing is you can NYMPH easier on a river from shore, or at least I prefer it. A little more movement with the current.
My lack of experience on the Weber, I will sit back and read the same info hopefully you get for it.
[signature]
You would need to go up higher on the weber above Echo, for a rookie to have a
chance for good fishing, water has been running heavy.

For flys try: Anglers Den up Ogden way or Fish Tech in Salt lake area. Much better than the web because you can get the assistance of an Expert at picking the right fly and you won't be wasting money on flys
you are not sure will work. Both places carry Quality tied flys on good quality hooks.
You spend all that time and money on fly fishing gear DON'T skrimp on the fly, the one thing that actually catches the fish!!
[signature]
I agree with you for the most part Anglers Den & Fish Tech have some some great flies, great equipment and even awesomer staff ( If awesomer is a word [Image: happy.gif] ) but unless you catch them on sale you end up paying over a dollar a fly. Dont get me wrong hand tied flies are always going to be more expensive then mass produced ones. But 2 dozen flies can easily run you 40 to 50 bucks with tax [Image: yell.gif]

I guess to each its own I find that allot the flies you buy online are same if not better than the ones you get at Sportmans. I wish I was more skilled at tying them but for now the online ones have been cating fish [Image: happy.gif][Image: happy.gif]
[signature]

Just so you know all flies are hand tied,one at a time.
The technology does not exist to machine tie flies.
Some marketing genius decided to add "Hand Tied flies" to their marketing to make
them sound some how more superior.

So what is the difference between a 50 cent fly and a 1.25-1.95 fly?
Materials such as hook ... Chemically sharpened for easy penetration= more hookups,
High Carbon steel=less bend outs to land fish, ETC. Companies like Daiichi,Tiemco,Partridge,
Dai-riki have High Quality control to make their hooks the best They cost 12 to 20 cent per fly

Quality Threads made of material that will not rot after the first wetting.

Quality Hackles such as Hoffman or Metz make the flies ride on top of the water better
and give them better symmetry so as to look more like real bugs.

Quality of Dubbing,feathers and other materials make for more realistic pattern= easier
to fool fish.

Wages of tiers and factory Quality control, I know of several factories throwing away
thousands of flies that do not meet their standards.

Wages of sales person he will save you money by pointing out the right patterns.
Better to have 1 dozen patterns that work as opposed to 6 dozen that are only
good for snagging trees.

Yes I am very biased on the subject, you do get what you pay for.
[signature]
Oh I am all over, "You get what you pay for", but even at Orvis with flies running $2. + the boxes would come in "Made in China".

I agree there are better made flies at the specialty shops for sure.
When I guide, I am guilty of going to Sportsmen's and loading up on particular patterns that I know I need.
Yes they fall apart, but they are cheap. Most my clients are newbies and the fly does end up in a bush or tree. But, at the same time, they do catch fish....if presented right!
Why do I buy when I tie? cause most times I get more then one client and I can't tie that fast.
Plus there are some flies it is much easier to BUY them then make them.
I just figure that most flies are not going to last forever, but some longer then others.
I do add a dab of Zap-A Gap to the threads of all the flies I buy at Sportsmen's and that does help.
[signature]
Actually Orvis flies are often made in Africa (they are expert fly tiers). Orvis does have the best flies in my opinion (assortment and how long they last), but Sportsman's will also catch a fish if presented right.
[signature]
Oh not putting Orvis down at all, I am the Orvis girl for sure, but we did receive some flies marked Made in China.
I wonder if they had lead in them...LOL
[signature]
Lead along with the mercury that is already here will maybe make a normal fish into some type of super fish.
[signature]
Throw your $ away if you want, I'll stick with mass produced flies that cost 1/2 as much as flies of supposedly better materials.

I catch plenty of fish on SW flies. The same amount as I catch on Orvis flies of the same pattern and color.

The trick to building a good fly collection is to buy some each time you go. Buy locally to the place you are going to fish, they will really know what is working then and there. Buy 4 flies of a pattern and size. like four, size 16, green elk hair caddis. Then four, size 18 parachute adams and four size 12 parachute hoppers in green and brown.
That leaves one for the leafs, one for the rocks, one to catch fish with and one to go back and say "more of these please"
Buy a large fly box for your first one, about 16 compartments or both sides foam with lots of ridges. Buy the size that fits your largest pocket. Open it and mark the upper left hand corner with a number for the month of the year it is. Place new flies here. Each fishing trip when you buy new flies, place them to the right and in rows below the first. At the end of the year yyou will have a box with the flies of the year in cronological order.
[signature]
WOW! That is way too organized for me LOL!
[signature]
That's how I was started. Now I have a box for Caddis, Mayflies, wets, terresterials. nymphs, streamers and one for beadheads.
Each arranged left to right, top to bottom in the order they will be best fished for the year.
I seldom fumble for flies, I pull out the right box the 1st time and at a lance I know what I should try.
[signature]
Right on! I do have the different species boxes also, but they are just piled in there LOL
[signature]
Not Dissing SW's flys...never used them. Actually, rather see a rookie buy them there
than the web, they do have a guy or two that can point out good patterns.
Once you fill up that 16 compartment box it's time to start tying your own Then a
50 cent is a good purchase and the Quality grows exponentially.
Almost all flys you buy except for a few local tiers and some specialty patterns at
destinations are tied in other countries most being from China with Africa coming on
strong. It has little to do with were they come from and all about quality control
and training of tiers.