Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview, Carp, Muskies Oh My
[font "Verdana,Arial"][size 1]Well late last night Hellsangler69 and myself decided to hook up today for some Muskie fishing at Pineview. After several PMs and a phone call we decide where we would meet to decide where we would go. I met him at Chris's around 1:00 PM. We chatted for a few, then I went in and got a dozen nightcrawlers just in case. Then off we went to the North side by Eden. HA69 said it was about a, 100-yard walk. Sounds good to me. I think HA69 needs one of those road measures, you know the one with the wheel that you walk along side. Man it was more like 500 yards[Tongue] packing that big ole bucks bag made it seem even farther LOL! But now were there and he's sneaking up on the lake throwing his grub tail jig trying to catch the hiding Muskie by the stream. But no luck today, Mr. Muskie has left for safer waters.

So he launches and starts paddling out, while I stumble around trying to get everything together and launch. I finally make it and we paddle over to the cover north of us. I started with a Finnigan, changed to a Rapala perch, then fire tiger but no takers. So now I go to the jigs two and three inches. Still no takers, but we have fish jumping all around us. Some of the lakes well fed carp, lots and lots of carp. I guess I should say here the water temp was around 55 and we were in 1 to 5 feet of water generally. So off come the jigs and on go the tubes 3 inches and still nothing. Colors well look at the rainbow boys and gals they just weren't having anything to do with us. So now out of desperation I add nightcrawler to the tubes ........... nothing. Change back to jigs; add nightcrawlers ......... again nothing. Well nothing big or medium was working so I get out the bass box and dig out this little Chartreuse/lemon shad. For all the wiper fisherman it is one size smaller than you use at Willard. This lure is an American Fisherman (Wal-Mart brand for those who don't know). I start tossing it into the cover cause I know there just has to be fish in there, I hear them jumping behind me all day now! I'm using a jerk and wait then reel retrieve. Here's where it gets exciting! I’m on my third cast with this little shad from the discount tub. I'm jerking it through the willows, when it gets about nine feet from me, about 3 inches below the surface. I see a huge head appear out of no where. It slides up next the shad, then smacks it with the left side of its head. I mean it hit it hard, so I jerk it forward watching its whole body appear in the blink of an eye. It was like this Muskie was shot out of a cannon; he hit that shad not 6 feet in front of. I reared back and set the hook. The fight was on! He dove to the bottom turning up the mud as he went. Right for about 10 feet then a quick turn to the left for another ten feet, all the while leaving a mud trail in the water as he went. Then he starts a run toward Hellsangler69 whose about 40 yards away, changes his mind and does a 180. Now he’s heading back right to me on my left, he no longer wasting his energy turning up the bottom. He’s at full speed making a run for it. Just before he gets to me he veers to my right turning me around in the tube. As he passes he can't be more than three feet from me, the shad hanging out the left side of his jaw. I guess at this point he knew that he was hooked. Up out of the water he came not more than 6 feet away, shaking his head from side to side as violently as he could. He did this absolutely beautiful tail walk for about 2 feet on top the water after the leap, still shaking his head from side to side, his powerful body twisting and flexing with each movement. I set the hook again turning his head to the right as I did. He hit the water and started peeling off the line zezezezezezezezezezezezezezezez. He was making his run for freedom!! Then bam the line stayed tight but there was no fight on the other end. I hesitated, waited, and tested the line ... still no movement. Hellsangler69 hollers out "Did he wrap you around the willows?" No I say I don't think so. I could see the line clearly; it was against a clump but not wrapped. I approach slowly keep tension on the line in case he is playing possum. When I get there, still no fight, no movement, but I still have tension. Slowly I run my hand down the line. I find the swivel, move on to the leader and find the lure; rear hook stuck into the willow and partially straightened out. Front treble hook and ring missing and so is my fish [Sad]. Hellsangler69 estimated it at over 40 inches. I honestly have no idea how long it was. Just that it was able to strip line off that Catalyst like it was nothing. I had just spooled that line this morning and set the drag weight at nine pounds. Moral if you buy a bargain basement lure, check the rings to see what they are made out of. I stripped down a rapala and used it rings and one of its hooks to re-set the shad. The rings from the shad were not too hard to straighten out. I know it is steel, just not very good steel LOL. The rings from the rapala were also a different size and it changed the action of the shad, So I will get some of the right size and finish the repair.

All in all it was great day fishing! Hellsangler69 is a great fishing partner. Thanks HA69 for such a good time ... heck you aint even half bad as a guide. That little walk ... all is fair for the love of fishing. Oh yeah the weather was great! It snowed like the dickens on the way there. But once on the water the sun shined, the blew mildly, and it was just a nice day. The only downside was HA69 didn't get to hook up with his Muskie. Next time HA69. I think the trout lost another fisherman today. All the fishing shows on TV could not compare to what that was like today. [/size][/font][size 2][/size]
[signature]
Great report Road, too bad you did not land the muskie. Man,
that would have been some great video footage, at least you got the memories. WH2
[signature]
[size 2]Well I meet Road at Pineview for some fishing . It was quite a site to see when he hooked into a nice fish . Man that thing did a tail dance right next to him like it was trying to get him wet . Sure hated to see this one get away but there is always next time . Muskie was in the 40" plus about 10 to 15 pound class . Just my guess but I could be off as Road thinks A 100 yards is 500 , well maybe it was 300 yards .LOL I think we could of done this with out tubes also but i haven't been in mine for about 2 years and needed to find out if it still works . We both packed fishfinders but really didn't need them in the 2 ' water . Only thing that I was successful at was spooking out the fish from the willows . Couldn't even hook up on a bass or carp . I think I'm at the 400 casting mark on casting so it shouldn't be much longer . Lots of carp spawning in the creek . Pineview was not to crowded either . Road we will have to hook up again sometime but let me catch a few next time .LOL

I did score some wild mushrooms , about 2 to 3 pounds . trying to remember how to cook them up . If I remember right they taste just like rattlesnake which taste just like chicken fried in butter . LOL tight lines [/size]
[signature]
I must say Road that story got my heat pump now! AWESOME thanks for a great post.[Smile] JK
[signature]
Nice report ROAD. I must say it got my heart a pumping also and the itch to go for those muskies.
[signature]
Great report Marty. Too bad you had to lose it, but you had the thrill of having one on your line.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Man! There's one for the memory banks! If we had the report contest going right now, I'd declare it finished and anounce the winner. GREAT REPORT! [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]How were those mushrooms HA69? HA69? HA69? Somebody said they saw him running through the neighborhood naked tring to catch fairies on the neighbor's liliac bush. What kind of mushrooms were those?[Tongue][/size][/font]
[signature]
They are Morels mushrooms . I let you know if I see colors . He He ! I found them on the internet for about 30.00 a pound [url "http://earthy.com/a_morel_mushroom.htm"]http://earthy.com/a_morel_mushroom.htm[/url] . My grandmother only gave me 1.00 a pound for them when I was young . I was getting ripped off LOL . Quite tasty !! I use to be quite the picker when I was a kid .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]At $30 a pound you made a major score! I checked that website out and I guess those gourmet morels are in high demand at that price! Eat well, my friend! Too bad you didn't get a few fish to eat with those mushrooms.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey wiperhunter2, I learned a great lesson with this trip. I learned they check their prey before they try and eat it. I learned that cheaplures do work but you might need to tweak them. Most importantly I learned how they react when hooked. I am assuming that the next one will act the same. If this was typical as to how Muskies respond I'm going to be in for a screaming good time this spring!!! Glad you enjoyed the post maybe a few of us could get together and muster a hunting campign at Pineview. Of course we would all have to get together on shore as these bad boys don't seem to like crowds.
[signature]
Hey Icefool go and scratch that ich! As we were leaving and it was starting to get dark (dusk) the fish started to come alive. Next time I will let the wife know that it will be very late when I get home.
[signature]
Hi Kent, thanks memories are what makes this sport so great. A video carmera would be nice too. Your going to have to give this a try Kent, it is totaly awesome <looking and sounding like the computer dude>
[signature]
Marty, I caught one last year with MGB. I have to admit that mine wasn't nearly the fighter that yours was, but it was still a thrill.

Kent
[signature]
I fished for muskies for 2 years in a float tube and had many spooky fishing trips. One day I hooked into a muskie in 9' of water the muskie went to the bottom and would not come to the surface. So I decided to get directly over the top of him reel all of the slack out of my line and pull untill the fish came loose or the line broke. All of a sudden I had slack in my line I looked over the edge of my tube and about 3 or 4' down I seen that muskie coming straight at me. As he broke threw the water he hit my tube flew over my right shoulder almost hooked me in the face with the treble hook that was still free and landed on the back of my tube. The treble hook that was free snaged my tube tore a hole in it and I was loosing air quickly. I made it to shore safe but scared and the muskie got away. I was fishing with a #13 jointed rapala and it was almost pulled a part. I honestly think that muskie was trying to take me out.
[signature]
that sounds like a blast i would like to learn how to go for muskies maybe some day i will get out there.
[signature]
Hey MGB thats a great story and had to be a great trip. I'll bet that got the old juices flowing. I think me and those Muskies are about to embark on a whole new relationship. Maybe I need to armor plate the tube <grins>, but the more I learn the more I need to learn.

So when we going to go and chase some theeth?? Ready when you are bro. Well as long as the wife sez its OK LOL
[signature]
We can go one of these weekdays after work or we could go Saturday or Sunday and fish for them the hole day. Let me know what works for you. I am willing to go any time you are ready. Lets go after them during this next week forsure.
[signature]
For sure, the weather is supposed to warm up into the 70s by mid week. I think the warme temps may make it even better. Hey I didnt post how many times I casted. But then I didn't count either LOL. I'll PM you with some times andd days ...... sttill job hunting I am.
[signature]
Another great muskie story, I think I'll stay in my boat, that hand to fin muskie fishing sounds a little spooky. WH2
[signature]
You're a brave man in a tube . I had some big trout trash around in the deep water and have thought to myself if that was a big treble on that lure it could of trash my tube . Lucky for me I was using flys and jigs . Fishing Pineview I want at least a kevlar covered tube or Bulletproof one . Nice story to be able to tell . I am going to design a fly to go after them soon . Just don't know how to net a muskie in a 20" net in a tube . He He !! I may just stay close to shore .

Hey Road , I went to Wally world and pick up some of those lures . They may work fine for wipers but need beefed up for muskies . LOL Like I would know , I never caught a wiper , but haven't tried very much yet . Maybe only 3 hours on wipers . Road I count my muskie cast by the hours fished . I figure that I may cast about 25 to 30 times a hour . So I just guess on it really . I hope you don't have to wait another 1000 cast before you get into one again . tight lines

The mushrooms were great !
[signature]