Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moved on
I have been thinking about this lately (with the Zug Bug thing) and it has just been brought up on another forum, so for a little activity here........

How many of you and what fly?

You had a fly that really worked great, but over time and new introductions, that fly got put on the back burner. No real reason, but it happens.
[signature]
Pistol Pete Used to use one bhind a bubble when I was growing up tried it again a couple months ago still worked good for rainbows. This isnt a real fly but a fly never the less.
[signature]
You mean something like this?
[inline wet_midges-sml.jpg]
Left: The previous "older" favourite .. the "round-the-bend style of midge pupa with various bodies, floss, wool, horsehair, epoxy and so on.

Middle & Right; Later discovery - trout don't care whether the body's straight or curved, and straight is quicker to tie.
But a "spider" style midge pupa's hen hackle has more action which they do prefer.
So the "new" ones are all straight with a 1, 2 or 3 turn hen hackle (one side stripped) to affect "sinkability".

Wallet is full of both, both will catch fish, but the spiders get all the action.
Thinks: I gotta get used to putting on the old versions when fishing among trees [Wink]
[signature]
[center][Image: dumb.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Is this something in response to Zug Bug?[Image: dumb.gif][/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Anyhow that is rather a difficult question to answer since I seldom have a chance to fish a body of water more than a couple of times. Since I prefer to fish drys, my first choice for sometime has been the Royal Wulff. But then again when it doesn't produce like the last few times out I look for something new. Last time it was a Griffth Gnat. So I tied a whole bunch in different shadings and that will be my choice the next time out.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[center][inline gg.jpg]
[signature]
so thats what those things are suppose to look like.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Nah the pistol pete I used to use had an actual spinning blade on the top below the eyelet.
[signature]
I've still got a few dozen Renegades I used to use 20-some years ago, but haven't gotten one wet or put one in my on-stream box in over a decade.
[signature]
I would have to agree with TarponJim. I have some old Renegades that my Dad tied for me back in the 70s.

I ended up replacing them with Wolfes, Wooley Buggers, Clousers and Zonkers.[cool]
[signature]